F1 2022

RadioactiveWaste

8 hours ago, RadioactiveWaste said:

Alex Albon has gone off to have have his appendix out, so Nyck De Vries is driving the Williams in the GP. After 1 practice session he's within a tenth of Latifi, which is a good effort IMO, feel pretty good he'll outqualify him as well.

A week on a simulator and I'd be as quick as Latifi and I'd hit as many walls too. I'm making sure my mobile remains permanently charged...

Nick de Vries take a bow son. Some debut drive that was. Latifi can get in the bin, I reckon.

Ferrari strategy... How to beat a lethally swift Red Bull? Take extra pit stops. You'd have thought that maybe they'd have noticed that nobody else liked this plan too much, but when the race engineers are having to ask the drivers what they'd like to do, you're basically fubar anyway. I do kinda love the way they find new and inventive means to ruin races for their drivers every week and you have to admire the simplicity and pragmatism of today's masterplan. Jokes aside, Mattia Binotto is surely a dead man walking.

Otherwise, a fairly mundane affair and another cakewalk for Verstappen. The scary thing is he's really not having to take any chances even when he's coming from off the pace. The car is so quick in a straight line that he can just drive straight past cars with or without DRS. The only salvation given RB's serene cakewalk to the titles, is that Karen's stopped accusing everyone of cheating and calling Toto a Bamford every 5 minutes. Small mercies.

Edited by 86 Hair Islands

• 2 weeks later...

Well, the Singapore gp weekend has started with a bombshell, Williams will not be renewing Nicki Latifi.

Sad day for the sport, and all those barriers and walls are going to be unbearable with their crowing about not having Latifi in them next season.

Although, it'll be good for the conspiracy nuts to paint it as him refusing to stage crashgate 2 to enable a former champion to get the race win that his team desperately needs.....

1 hour ago, BadRam said:

Silverstone tickets on sale now.   Unfortunately,  3 day pass for F1 Silverstone for myself and 2 boys (9and10) this year was £620 and we all loved it.  Next year the same 3 tickets will cost £1500!  Boys are gutted, we can’t afford that.

It's insane pricing.

I know F1 is an expensive business and by and large the venues get the majority of the income from tickets (all the sponsorship etc being F1's dollars) but they can't expect to be gettin 100,000 crowds paying that kind of money.

I know MotoGP were very dissapointed with Silverstone ticket sales as well and price was a factor.

Although if the kids liked motorsport, there's always BTCC which puts on a full day of racing including single seaters for a much more reasonable price, ditto superbikes if that's your thing.

10 minutes ago, RadioactiveWaste said:

It's insane pricing.

I know F1 is an expensive business and by and large the venues get the majority of the income from tickets (all the sponsorship etc being F1's dollars) but they can't expect to be gettin 100,000 crowds paying that kind of money.

I know MotoGP were very dissapointed with Silverstone ticket sales as well and price was a factor.

Although if the kids liked motorsport, there's always BTCC which puts on a full day of racing including single seaters for a much more reasonable price, ditto superbikes if that's your thing.

F1 is their thing so not sure anything else will cut it! Thing is Silverstone will sell out, almost has already, but charging those prices is hardly making available to the people!  Surely they make all their money on corporate anyway!?

I’m pretty sure I could get a weekend in Belgium or Italy (with race tickets) for less than Silverstone. I’ll have to investigate.

1 hour ago, BadRam said:

F1 is their thing so not sure anything else will cut it! Thing is Silverstone will sell out, almost has already, but charging those prices is hardly making available to the people!  Surely they make all their money on corporate anyway!?

I’m pretty sure I could get a weekend in Belgium or Italy (with race tickets) for less than Silverstone. I’ll have to investigate.

I went to Silverstone for the 3 days last year, this year to the French GP budget wise including travel it was similar. Silverstone is pricey. I also go with my lad and We have started to look where to go to another european GP. We try to make a trip out of it a bit.

I am open to suggestions if some posters have got ideas 

13 hours ago, EtoileSportiveDeDerby said:

I went to Silverstone for the 3 days last year, this year to the French GP budget wise including travel it was similar. Silverstone is pricey. I also go with my lad and We have started to look where to go to another european GP. We try to make a trip out of it a bit.

I am open to suggestions if some posters have got ideas 

Where we’re you 7 years ago? I had a business doing exactly this, combining travel experiences with F1 tickets around the world. 

it was all very exciting for a while. We did some amazing trips for the Brazilian GP. 

3 hours ago, TigerTedd said:

Where we’re you 7 years ago? I had a business doing exactly this, combining travel experiences with F1 tickets around the world. 

it was all very exciting for a while. We did some amazing trips for the Brazilian GP. 

Now that would have been one to do! I started going again in the past 2 years when my lad got interested after watching DTS as the OP said not the cheapest sport to follow round... 

Any tips on a European one to go to next?

Edited by EtoileSportiveDeDerby

1 hour ago, EtoileSportiveDeDerby said:

Now that would have been one to do! I started going again in the past 2 years when my lad got interested after watching DTS as the OP said not the cheapest sport to follow round... 

Any tips on a European one to go to next?

The only one I ended up going to myself was Spain. Barcelona is a fantastic city break. I’d quite fancy Hungary. Budapest has always sounded interesting. I’d annoy my wife by pretending I was hawkeye all the time. 

My wife and I went to the Hungarian GP a few years back. 

Superb value for money, a 3 day ticket which was sit anywhere on Friday, start/finish line covered grandstand on the Sat, and the final corner on the Sunday was €130. 

Official taxi from Buda old town was around £30, which had its own dedicated entrance to miss the queues, not bad for a half hour journey.

So, Singapore.

We wake up to news Red Bull might have seriously overspent much to the rage of Merc and Ferrari.

Alex Albon is going to try to drive this weekend after recovering from surgery - hope he doesn't damage himself and Williams give him the best medicl advice, he's been having a good season rebuilding his credability in F1 after his red bull days.

Verstappen can mathmatically win the title this weekend, but that would depend on others finishing down the points.

We're still waiting to find out who gets the Alpine drive, who replaces the Mickster at Haas and will Nyck  De Vries get a better offer than Williams.

And of course, will GOATifi leave a lasting mark on the Singapore armco? and can he do it strategically to aid an unlikely victory?

Well, an eventfull Singapore Grand Prix.

Great drive from Perez, managed to hold off Leclerc when it mattered and pulled the gap he needed at the end. FWIW I think he was heading into "taking the unrine" territory with the safety car but at least he wasn't pulling the start stop break check nonesense we sometimes see on SC restarts.

Good drives from Leclerc, Norris and for once, Danny Ric as well as both Baby Stroll and daddy Seb. Vettel's start was ridiculus.

Bad day for Max (ha ha), Lewis, Georgy boy (channelling his inner Latifi by just randomly driving into other cars), Latifi (vintage Latifi on Zhou), Alpine, Williams, basically everyone who isn't Checo, McLaren or Aston Martin.

Max's corronation will have to wait until Japan at least. I'm sure the Honda (not a Honda) engine supplier will be gutted if it happens at Honda owned Suzuka.

Latifi is dedicated. 

Horner complaining about complaining and failing to look happy as Perez was on the podium was a particular highlight. 

If there's one thing Horner hates it's gossip and snitches. He's always been too focused on RB to notice what else is going on. 

My Mrs has turned me against George Russell. Her dislike of him is unjustified but she points out so much of his pouting and arrogance that I was actually not too sad at all to see him waaaaay behind Lewis

Edited by Alpha

2 hours ago, Alpha said:

Latifi is dedicated. - Indeed, he's going to charge as hard as ever for these remaining races.

Horner complaining about complaining and failing to look happy as Perez was on the podium was a particular highlight. - He'd just been given a massive bollocking by Helmut and Jos for the wrong car winning the race.

If there's one thing Horner hates it's gossip and snitches. He's always been too focused on RB to notice what else is going on. - Agreed, as  man of discression who habitually keeps his council on the affairs of others, I can understand he is vexed about rumours his team massivly overspent. He has Stephen Pearce on retiner justin case.

My Mrs has turned me against George Russell. Her dislike of him is unjustified but she points out so much of his pouting and arrogance that I was actually not too sad at all to see him waaaaay behind Lewis - He gives off that "I'm from the born to rule class." vibe. He's polite, refined, carries himself with dignity, but just doesn't come off as "likeable" the way Lando or Charles do (IMO)

The FIA has delayed it's report on the budget cap and dismissed roumors that certain Karen's had spend way above it as "baseless" and "mischeif making".

All our thoughts go out to the poor unnamed FIA functionry who is awaiting the release of the hostateges unharmed upon the "corrected" certficates of compliance being issued.