F1 2022

RadioactiveWaste

8 minutes ago, ScubaRam said:

Sadly its not about the same machinery in Formula One, but I get your point. I'd argue that Ham lost to Button in the same car as well, however I'd put Ham ahead of Button. We'll agree to disagree. ? 

Hamilton beat Button 2/3 seasons, and the one he lost was Lewis' worst season in the sport. So overall, was the better driver in the same machinery. 

It might not be about the same machinery in the context of the drivers championships, but when comparing drivers it's the best yard stick you can get. 

Alonso was outshone by Vettel and Hamilton in his era, and certainly hasn't kept up with the new crop of drivers. He's decent, but very little scope to call him even a top 5 driver, let alone top 1!

59 minutes ago, Andicis said:

Hamilton beat Button 2/3 seasons, and the one he lost was Lewis' worst season in the sport. So overall, was the better driver in the same machinery. 

It might not be about the same machinery in the context of the drivers championships, but when comparing drivers it's the best yard stick you can get. 

Alonso was outshone by Vettel and Hamilton in his era, and certainly hasn't kept up with the new crop of drivers. He's decent, but very little scope to call him even a top 5 driver, let alone top 1!

I'd argue that's far more to do with his duff career moves and falling out with people than his driving ability. He did well to mount challenges in ferrari's that weren't that good, certainly not as good as the red bulls of the time.

I think he's past his Prime, but in his prime he was a hell of a driver, double world champion and has the "dragging performance out of duff cars" ability that few can match.

Just now, RadioactiveWaste said:

I'd argue that's far more to do with his duff career moves and falling out with people than his driving ability. He did well to mount challenges in ferrari's that weren't that good, certainly not as good as the red bulls of the time.

I think he's past his Prime, but in his prime he was a hell of a driver, double world champion and has the "dragging performance out of duff cars" ability that few can match.

It wasn't as good of a car as the Redbull of the era, no, but that Ferrari he was in was definitely a decent car. In 2010, Alonso could have easily won the title had he not messed up in Abu Dhabi and finished 7th. 

As is always the case, it's hard to judge driver skill but as previously mentioned, he lost to a rookie Hamilton, Vettel whilst had better machinery, in some seasons it wasn't as clear cut and both Alonso and Hamilton probably kick themselves that they didn't win any of the titles during that period. 

In the end, a very good but not a great driver for me personally, as he didn't keep up with the two other main drivers of his era. 

Cannot fathom why folk place Alonso over Hamilton. The latter schooled him as a rookie. Even Alonso himself said Lewis was faster. Occasionally we do see glimpses of the old Fernando, but they are few and far between these days and driving the same car, Ocon has nearly double his points tally in the current season. Episodes like his antics at Monaco and his endless screeching at his mechanics whilst at McLaren have sadly removed much of his former lustre too. He was once seriously quick, but he's very much yesterday's man now.

I like the idea of a GP in Africa to make it a properly global calendar. However, a race like Monaco staying on the calendar and Spa dropping would be a massive duck you to the viewership. They might as well explicitly come out and say "It's about the commercials first, Netflix second and the racing third. Nobody watching on TV matters in the slightest"

Moncao is a terrible, terrible circuit. Spa is wonderful. This is mental.

https://the-race.com/formula-1/f1-eyeing-2023-kyalami-return-but-spa-may-drop-off-calendar/

Edited by JuanFloEvraTheCocu'sNesta

On 14/06/2022 at 10:07, JuanFloEvraTheCocu'sNesta said:

I like the idea of a GP in Africa to make it a properly global calendar. However, a race like Monaco staying on the calendar and Spa dropping would be a massive duck you to the viewership. They might as well explicitly come out and say "It's about the commercials first, Netflix second and the racing third. Nobody watching on TV matters in the slightest"

https://the-race.com/formula-1/f1-eyeing-2023-kyalami-return-but-spa-may-drop-off-calendar/

Spa and Monaco are arguably both iconic races but I fully agree with your thinking. Given the choice between the two, it'd be hands-down in favour of Spa. I used to love the glamour of Monaco but it just feels tired these days and seldom offers much in the way of racing drama.

I did worry when Liberty took over and I think there are clear signs that the concerns I had are playing out. Sprint races, sport-washing and the uptick in street circuits, none of it sits well with me to be honest. F1 will end up simply going where the money is with the actual racing  and F1 tradition becoming secondary concerns. It rather feels like the beginning of the end to me. As for Drive to Survive, it was initially fascinating but is slowly becoming more akin to a bitchy soap opera than anything informative. Genius marketing in some regards, but at what cost? 

59 minutes ago, 86 Hair Islands said:

Spa and Monaco are arguably both iconic races but I fully agree with your thinking. Given the choice between the two, it'd be hands-down in favour of Spa. I used to love the glamour of Monaco but it just feels tired these days and seldom offers much in the way of racing drama.

I did worry when Liberty took over and I think there are clear signs that the concerns I had are playing out. Sprint races, sport-washing and the uptick in street circuits, none of it sits well with me to be honest. F1 will end up simply going where the money is with the actual racing  and F1 tradition becoming secondary concerns. It rather feels like the beginning of the end to me. As for Drive to Survive, it was initially fascinating but is slowly becoming more akin to a bitchy soap opera than anything informative. Genius marketing in some regards, but at what cost? 

Agree with all of that.

Kyalami is a great track (have a look on youtube) but it's not Spa or Monaco (and it does have it's lingering association with SA's less enlightened times). I know the Monaco debate, but I'm for keeping it as a unique relic ad a unique challenge even if it's qualifying that's the heart of it. Las Veagas just isn't the same (IMO).

The problem with chasing the money from sportswashing and emerging markets is, having your F1 race is valuable because it's the same championship as Monaco, Spa, Monza, Silverstone, Suzuka, Interlagos - it's not becuse it's in the same championship as Bahrain, Sochi or the Miami Dolphins car park. You could get a baby/bathwater situation. Nascar's current decline after it's unstoppable rise a few years ago for example (never got it myself, I tried, but give me BTCC any day).

On 14/06/2022 at 10:07, JuanFloEvraTheCocu'sNesta said:

Just nit picking your geography. Which continent are Qatar and Abu Dhabi in?

8 minutes ago, TigerTedd said:

You are correct. I was just testing.

(full disclosure, I always thought the Middle East was part of Africa, Wikipedia thinks differently). 

Middle East, the lands around the southern and eastern shores of the Mediterranean Sea, encompassing the Arabian Peninsula, and Iraq and Iran and sometimes beyond. The central part of this general area was formerly called the Near East,  (Britannica).   Having worked quite a bit in Qatar, UAE and Kuwait, they certainly think of themselves as part of the Middle East (or Mid East if you’re American)

I take it we all applauded the daredevil groundhog? (the one that ran across the track, not *insert F1 driver of your choice*)

It's looking very much like Verstappen will piddle off into the distance, RBR will make sure Perez goes back into his box anyway, Leclerc with an engine pen will at least be entertaining as he comes through the field so what's going to be interesting is the midfield fortunes. I have a sneaky feeling Alonso is going to have an "old guys rule OK" race.

6 minutes ago, Turk Thrust said:

Middle East, the lands around the southern and eastern shores of the Mediterranean Sea, encompassing the Arabian Peninsula, and Iraq and Iran and sometimes beyond. The central part of this general area was formerly called the Near East,  (Britannica).   Having worked quite a bit in Qatar, UAE and Kuwait, they certainly think of themselves as part of the Middle East (or Mid East if you’re American)

But they have to be part of a continent. They’re not allowed to not be part of a continent. So they have to make they’re mind up.

(Unless they’re a pacific island, cos Oceania is a made up continent).

Egypt is Africa and Asia innit? Each side of the Nile or something like that? 

Anyway, is it me or is the season becoming a bit meh? I don't think the circuits lately have helped. Feels like we're watching Horner and Verstappen begin to cruise to smug victory

45 minutes ago, Alpha said:

Egypt is Africa and Asia innit? Each side of the Nile or something like that? 

Anyway, is it me or is the season becoming a bit meh? I don't think the circuits lately have helped. Feels like we're watching Horner and Verstappen begin to cruise to smug victory

The FIA stepping in to solve the bouncing issue won't help. Red Bull are more on top of it than everyone else so won't have to compromise as much. Procession from here on out.

Russell the Merc guinea pig this week it seems. I suppose with a car that's over a second slower than the big four they have to gamble but that did seem a step too far. Hamilton still going through the motions for me, despite the improved qualy. Could have a shot at a podium though if Leclerc gets a cleanish run, he could still be somewhere up there. Verstappen to sail off into the the distance. Checo left ruminating on what might have been.

Nice to see a few of the drivers try their hand a rally car. Talking of which, confidence is high that in front of his home crowd, Latifi will push too hard and recommence his habitual barrier-bothering. Request-A-Bet anyone?

Nice to see that Guenther has seemingly secured another year as the only remaining source of entertainment in Drive to Survive. Was beginning to fear that the Haas hammer might fall. Karen's face becoming more punchable with every race that passes. Is there a less likeable team in all of sport than Marko, Horner and Verstappen? Doubtful. They really are an unholy trifecta of c**tishness.

Edited by 86 Hair Islands