F1 2022

RadioactiveWaste

Well that was mildly interesting. Mercedes experiments with Hamilton's set up put aside and they simply switch him to the same set up as Russell. Promptly finds half a second a lap. 

Carlos Sainz slowly but surely finding the speed that's been missing all season. Did his damndest to serve it up to Verstappen  despite the Red Bull seeming to have a fairly significant straight-line speed advantage. 

Ferrari got both car to the end of the race. Verstappen the champion elect unfortunately, but maybe there's still life in the WCC.

Mercedes slowly improving and took a big step forward from Friday's woes. Do they understand why though? Evidence suggests they stumbled on a viable set-up rather than engineering one.

Fernando gets track-position fever and ruins his own race. Alpine engineers appear to be terrified of him! Tell the moody t*** to pit or you'll switch his engine mode to Waitrose food run mode, that'll sort him out! 

Next stop Silverstone - was planning to go this year until a Covid-postponed wedding took precedence. Bloody inconvenient if you ask me! ?

Was looking like a boring Verstappen piddling into the distance win until the safety car gave Carlos a shot at him on fresh tyres. I did keep saying Sainz would get the hang of the new car. Shame he couldn't quite work an opening but the effort was there. 5th not a bad recovery from Leclerc.

Seems Horner's explicit instructions to ensure any duff parts must end up on Checo's car is being carried out.

Good day for Alpine, Mercedes and alpha Romeo. Zhou deserves some credit - he's having a decent rookie season, and yes, it's criminal piastri didn't get a seat this year but Zhou is no Latifi/Mazespin

Bad day for McLaren, alpha tauri (Yuki's comedy moment aside, it ws a poor weekend anyway). Worse day for Haas - Mick looking like points are on? Naw. Magnusson driving well - into the pits to change the nose....

Shame for Albon, was looking in the fight for 10th at one point.

However a canookie home win for Stroll jr to get a point. And GOATifi kept it out of the wall despite running in last the whole race.

British grand Prix will be live on channel 4.

8 minutes ago, 86 Hair Islands said:

Been excellent. He had a bit of a moment when the speed of the Aston in the straights was frustrating him, but he drives smoothly, doesn't kill his tyres in 5 minutes flat and is consistently quick. He's a big talent.

Without mechanical failures he'd a few more points likely as well. Sauber must be a happier place than it's been in years.

3 hours ago, 86 Hair Islands said:

Just the most grim outfit ever to race in F1. Horrible from top to bottom.

https://www.thesun.co.uk/sport/18964027/what-did-juri-vips-say-racist-red-bull-f1/

On the plus side,they immediately suspended him and he issued an immediate apology.

No defending what he said.

I know there'll be the usual "he's young and stupid and didn't mean it" stuff trotted out but seriously if you're on the fringes of an F1 drive you should be aware of the responsibility that comes with that. Although,I'm not sure I'd be particularly thrilled that anyone would be saying that in private rather than on a twitch stream.

Williams booted Dan Ticktum for much less (although he does seem to be a right nob TBH).

It might be a career killer for Vips given F1s current drive to be more inclusive.

1 hour ago, Jubbs said:

What's that got to do with Red Bull? They immediately suspended him...

IIRC Horner said they dismissed someone from RBR in the wake of the Silverstone crash last year because they said said something unacceptable.

Given RBR are a marketing vehicle for the fizzy drink, they're not going to tolerate anything on that front (obviously,they want to sell cans of red bull to all the colours of the rainbow).

1 hour ago, Jubbs said:

What's that got to do with Red Bull? They immediately suspended him...

Marko, Horner, Verstappen, Vips, all horrible characters in their own way. If you don't get that a firm's employees reflect the ethos of the the entity they represent, then there's not much point in discussing it, is there?

53 minutes ago, 86 Hair Islands said:

Marko, Horner, Verstappen, Vips, all horrible characters in their own way. If you don't get that a firm's employees reflect the ethos of the the entity they represent, then there's not much point in discussing it, is there?

I think I draw a distinction between being Horner's irritating media persona and red bull's reputation for being ruthless about binning promising drivers and suggestions that they're an organisation that tolerates discrimination.

11 minutes ago, RadioactiveWaste said:

I think I draw a distinction between being Horner's irritating media persona and red bull's reputation for being ruthless about binning promising drivers and suggestions that they're an organisation that tolerates discrimination.

Me too so could you point out where I've said they're institutionally racist please? Grim was the term used but we can do the straw man thing if you like? The only public persona at the team who isn't grim is Checo. 

Put it this way; would you buy any of the others a pint? Nah, didn't think so.

Your right I wouldn't buy them a pint.

F1 has been known to be a piranha tank for many years and I doubt many of the high flyers in it are actually nice people.

No, you didn't call them institutionally racist,I don't think anyone has but you were suggesting there's an unpleasant team culture there that connects to Vips outbursts which I don't think is true.

I think of them as the Billy Davies team of F1. s********, fall out with everyone, everything is everyone else's fault, make a good baddie. 

7 minutes ago, RadioactiveWaste said:

No, you didn't call them institutionally racist,I don't think anyone has but you were suggesting there's an unpleasant team culture there that connects to Vips outbursts which I don't think is true.

There is an unpleasant team culture and I wish to god you'd address what I've actually said rather than making s*** up. It's infuriating.I'll try one more time; Marko is a foul-mouthed thug who cries foul at pretty much everything while pretending his man-baby lead driver can do no wrong and throwing young drivers under the bus with monotonous regularity. Horner is an arch hypocrite whose litany of snide asides and accusations of cheating against any team that threatens (or not) has shrivelled public support for the very team he manages, a team where the majority of those working under him despise him. Verstappen is an overindulged, raging narcissist who believes the rules don't apply to him and whose driving style was so reckless that it forced the FIA into rule changes before he seriously injured (or killed) someone. Vips, well he clearly is a f****** lowlife racist and homophobic. I've not suggested that they are  connected trait only that they're all Bamfords. Why is that so hard to understand? The only public figure at the team who is worth a t'uppeny f*** is Checo. Top driver, races hard, races for the team, never complains even when treated poorly. 

If the above does not constitute an unpleasant team culture in your mind then we'd best agree to disagree as I literally have no idea how anyone can defend behaviour that is indefensible. Saying that other teams 'may have' equally horrible high-flyers is, in my opinion, as weak as it gets, not to mention a huge leap. You're trying to pull me up for making a generalisation for which I have provided my reasoning and basing your argument on a wholly unsubstantiated claim that other teams' top guys are just as bad. Go figure! ?‍♀️

7 minutes ago, Jubbs said:

Evidence of this? Someone I vaguely know works for Oracle Red Bull Racing and loves it there?‍♂️

Godson's father worked under him for 5 years. Carbon moulds team. Loathes him. Said most do. Members of his own team were the ones who dubbed him 'Karen'. And I've not said folk hate working a RBR, I've said most who do don't like Horner or Marko for that matter. Anyway, let's not bother with any further to and fro. You and RAW think the team culture is fine. I don't. No biggy.