Theme Park Recommendations

sage

Depends on the ages of the kids. Drayton Manor has Thomas Land, Paultons Park has Peppa Pig Land. Alton Towers kids rides are decent as well. Not a massive fan of Chessington or Legoland but it's very family based, the queues for a weekday were horrible.

One place I wouldn't go to is Flamingo Land. Expensive and half the rides weren't running. 

6 hours ago, B4ev6is said:

Glovers kingdome in derbyshire but force to shut because of the snow you might have a look indoor things or have a drive look at Christmas lights I think bepler have a good displays I think.

Love Gullivers Kingdom in Matlock me.

I used to place rocks in front of all the flood lights in the show caves so you couldn’t see them.  
My claim to fame before I was certified.

As an electrician. 

14 hours ago, Boycie said:

I used to place rocks in front of all the flood lights in the show caves so you couldn’t see them.  

As an electrician. 

I had a summer job at Gulliver's kingdom one year. Would've been more than twenty years ago now. 

For little kids I think it's a good day out.

15 hours ago, Boycie said:

As an electrician. 

My claim to fame, for the same place... I broke into there. last year!  ?

OK, it was only on a technicality, and there was a "perfectly acceptable reason" for doing so, but hey, there's no getting away from the fact that I was trespassing at the very least!  

To cut a long but interesting story, etc, etc...

They were closed (presumably due to the then Covid restrictions)
We were walking a circuit from Cromford, which took in the woods high up above Matlock Bath, and passes through Gullivers grounds before meandering out into the wilds... The public footpath takes a small footbridge over one of the main pedestrian approaches into GK.  All separate and fenced off, presumably because it crosses over after the folk below (If it was open) have already paid to get in?

It was reet-proper pissing it down, there was relative shelter on the footbridge from the trees above, and we were ready for an energy boost/snack, so we rested actually on the footbridge, with the (closed) GK pathway below.

This is the point where my cute, but rather simple wife, thought it a good idea to lean her pair of not-inexpensive trekking poles against the open-plan railing sides of said footbridge... whereupon one pole duly fell to the footpath, a good few metres below!
Potentially, near enough for me to hang and drop... but too far to be able to clamber back up again!  So I had to find a gap in the barbed wire fencing, after traipsing further back along the public footpath, do a David Bellamy impression, crawling, clambering, and swearing my through the very wet and soggy gorse bushes, shrubs, and trees, throw the pole back up to my Godforsaken stupid wife, still stood relatively sheltered up on the footbridge, before returning myself by the same route.

As you may imagine, I was not one bit pissed off with her!  ?

*After reading that back, I guess it wasn't all that interesting after all!  Oh well... Too late now!  ?

Edited by Mucker1884

4 hours ago, Mucker1884 said:

My claim to fame, for the same place... I broke into there. last year!  ?

OK, it was only on a technicality, and there was a "perfectly acceptable reason" for doing so, but hey, there's no getting away from the fact that I was trespassing at the very least!  

To cut a long but interesting story, etc, etc...

They were closed (presumably due to the then Covid restrictions)
We were walking a circuit from Cromford, which took in the woods high up above Matlock Bath, and passes through Gullivers grounds before meandering out into the wilds... The public footpath takes a small footbridge over one of the main pedestrian approaches into GK.  All separate and fenced off, presumably because it crosses over after the folk below (If it was open) have already paid to get in?

It was reet-proper pissing it down, there was relative shelter on the footbridge from the trees above, and we were ready for an energy boost/snack, so we rested actually on the footbridge, with the (closed) GK pathway below.

This is the point where my cute, but rather simple wife, thought it a good idea to lean her pair of not-inexpensive trekking poles against the open-plan railing sides of said footbridge... whereupon one pole duly fell to the footpath, a good few metres below!
Potentially, near enough for me to hang and drop... but too far to be able to clamber back up again!  So I had to find a gap in the barbed wire fencing, after traipsing further back along the public footpath, do a David Bellamy impression, crawling, clambering, and swearing my through the very wet and soggy gorse bushes, shrubs, and trees, throw the pole back up to my Godforsaken stupid wife, still stood relatively sheltered up on the footbridge, before returning myself by the same route.

As you may imagine, I was not one bit pissed off with her!  ?

*After reading that back, I guess it wasn't all that interesting after all!  Oh well... Too late now!  ?

But it was long. 

• 2 weeks later...

As others have said, Paultons Parks was a good day out when the kids were between 3-7. I’d recommend going straight to the Peppa rides early, and then looking round the rest of the park later in morning when the crowds have built up. We stayed in the New Forest, so had some nice scenery for the stay.

Legoland I thought would be amazing, but was one of my least favourite theme park experiences. We went last Summer, when the country was lifting restrictions but many still remained. The company said that rides would have reduced capacity to allow for distancing, so numbers in the park would be reduced too. Load of tosh.

The park was full, so that meant that queues were twice as long as usually advertised. These safety measures meant we spent longer in closer contact with strangers than if we had sat on a full ride with them! Didn’t get on very many rides. Not worth the admission at the minute, until the ride capacity is returned to normal (not sure if it has been yet)

3 hours ago, r4derby said:

As others have said, Paultons Parks was a good day out when the kids were between 3-7. I’d recommend going straight to the Peppa rides early, and then looking round the rest of the park later in morning when the crowds have built up. We stayed in the New Forest, so had some nice scenery for the stay.

Legoland I thought would be amazing, but was one of my least favourite theme park experiences. We went last Summer, when the country was lifting restrictions but many still remained. The company said that rides would have reduced capacity to allow for distancing, so numbers in the park would be reduced too. Load of tosh.

The park was full, so that meant that queues were twice as long as usually advertised. These safety measures meant we spent longer in closer contact with strangers than if we had sat on a full ride with them! Didn’t get on very many rides. Not worth the admission at the minute, until the ride capacity is returned to normal (not sure if it has been yet)

It was good of you to respond so fully, but @sagehas moved on now. I am a little surprised he hasn’t been seeking recommendations for Party Planning and/or Property Renovation.