What is your earliest link to the past rams?

Wistaston Ram

What a great post some very interesting stories! 

My oldest link is probably my grandad. He was lucky enough to follow Derby why we was in Europe in the 70s. Unfortuanlty he died when I was 4 so I didn't get the stories first hand. However I do have a few programmes and flags that he collected along the way. He stopped going I think because he lost his son (my uncle) who went with him when he was only 11 when he died so I think he lost the love of being able to take him. My grandmas favourite story to tell me was how they once got held up on a plane to Mallorca. They was sat waiting for what she said was ages and eventually about 30minites later a car pulls up next to the plane and a family gets out. It was Brian Clough and his family, think my grandad was over the moon my grandma however decided he was rude for making everyone else wait! 

17 minutes ago, LouiseDCFC23 said:

What a great post some very interesting stories! 

My oldest link is probably my grandad. He was lucky enough to follow Derby why we was in Europe in the 70s. Unfortuanlty he died when I was 4 so I didn't get the stories first hand. However I do have a few programmes and flags that he collected along the way. He stopped going I think because he lost his son (my uncle) who went with him when he was only 11 when he died so I think he lost the love of being able to take him. My grandmas favourite story to tell me was how they once got held up on a plane to Mallorca. They was sat waiting for what she said was ages and eventually about 30minites later a car pulls up next to the plane and a family gets out. It was Brian Clough and his family, think my grandad was over the moon my grandma however decided he was rude for making everyone else wait! 

Brian Clough was a little like Marmite, He had a love/hate relationship with some people.

Towards the end of my playing days on Sundays, I played for a team of has-beens and never Will Bs, We played A C Hunters, Nigel and Simon Clough played for them as younger players, Brian would always be there watching even tho he was Forests Manager.

I played in goal, We got thumped 6-0, But I was born with a big mouth always had sosmething to say, Never shut up on the pitch, At the end of the game Brian came over to me and said "young man you're a credit to the game" walking into the dressing room all our players bowed to me...with lots of laughter.

A C Hunters always played in a Forest kit, Away games all yellow, There rivals were Coronation81...a boozer in Alvaston 1-2 DLF lads, Anyway, A Coronation player had a nasty knee injury when playing against Hunters, Ambulance was called and carted off to the Derby Infirmary, The Coronation 81 secretary got a call from Someone at the City ground asking about the injured player that week, Then recieved a letter asking once the player is in recovery mode to get himself down the City ground for Physio...which the player did...from then on there was never any grief when A C Hunters came to town...clever man was our Brian ?

Being only 30 my memories don't go back that far compared to many.

My Grandparents got married the very day Derby won the FA cup on 27th April 1946 and my Dad's first season ticket was the 1970-71 season right at the start of a golden era, but my first real connection was getting a personal message and autograph from Jim Smith in the '90s. After that the first game I remember is Derby v Coventry in January 2000, sure I still have the programme.

1967,  couple of highlights used too talk to Colin Boulton and his wife in the Hurt Arms, Ambergate, one night he handed me a ticket for the European Cup Semi Final, only paid him the face value.

Another time he was doing a quiz in an hotel in Derby and on the way down he said say nothing but we have signed Francis Lee today, it was anounced in Baileys at midnight after we had seen the Three Degrees free, the doorman would not let us in because we did not have ties on so ended up going round the back of the building and let in by a back door.

As you may gather from my username, I was actually born in 1884... in the middle of The Racecourse... on a matchday... in front of a crowd of 14,783... and was immediately lain naked on the morning hoar, (Early kick off, due to Ye Skye Sportes, the Bam-fordes!)  which in turn led certain parts of my anatomy to shrivel, leaving me with a rather short and curly horn... but with an extremely large eye (due to the shock of feeling that hoar for the very first time!)

Mum (May God rest her soul. xxx) was at the ground due to being the paid laundry wench at the club... at least I think she said "paid"... She's gone now (May God rest her soul. xxx) so I can't check!
This was all long before Steve Bloomer needed any washing done!

I still live nearby, and have never ventured out of the borough!
When viewed through flesh and vein, my blood appears to be black.  When I bleed, it runs white.
I only drink Carlin in the summer, and a hot Toddy in the winter.

My father (Derventio) played scrum half for the Derbyshire Academicals Cricket Team.
My uncle (Ewie Green) was the presenter on the very first TV talent show.

I know there will be doubters... I understand that, given the remarkable tale forthwith regaled... but trust me, I win this thread.  Big Time!

Moooo! 

My family had no connection to Derby until 1960 when we moved here when my dad secured a job at Rolls-Royce. My first game was at the BBG in September 1961 when we beat Preston 3-2 and I have seen every season since, being a season ticket holder since 1967. Tommy Powell scored Derby's third goal. Tommy made his full Rams debut as a 16 year old in in 1941 in a wartime game against the RAF.

However, Harry Storer was the Rams manager when I started and I met him in that first season when I got his autograph after we had beaten Liverpool 2-0. Harry made his playing debut for Derby in 1921 so I can go way back to 31 years before I was born. 

Now if you think that's good, I'm nowhere near finished yet. For Harry's uncle, William Storer made his debut for the Rams in 1891. He had already played county cricket for Derbyshire since 1887.

You might think that 1891 is pretty good. But Bingo because Walter Roulstone and Arthur Latham who played in our very first game in the football league in 1888, were still playing when William Storer started. 

So there you have it and that's my final offer 1888.

???

18 hours ago, IslandExile said:

Before the second world war, my Dad was big friends with Bertie Mee, who went on to manage Arsenal to the double in '71.

Anyhow, my Dad (actually a Forest fan) used to rib me that he used to do something I'd never done as a Rams fan - go to watch Derby reserves away. Mee never played for the first team for Derby, moving to Mansfield then guesting for Southampton during the war before injury ended his playing career.

Winter '68, instead of supporting whoever won the cup in any given year, I decided to settle on one club - and chose that from my birthplace....Derby. Good timing, eh?

Bertie Mee said to Bill Shankley. “Have you heard of the North Bank High-Bur-Ee”? Shanks said “No, I don’t think so, but I’ve heard of The Pop Side Derby”

True story that. ?

4 hours ago, Mucker1884 said:

As you may gather from my username, I was actually born in 1884... in the middle of The Racecourse... on a matchday... in front of a crowd of 14,783... and was immediately lain naked on the morning hoar, (Early kick off, due to Ye Skye Sportes, the Bam-fordes!)  which in turn led certain parts of my anatomy to shrivel, leaving me with a rather short and curly horn... but with an extremely large eye (due to the shock of feeling that hoar for the very first time!)

Mum (May God rest her soul. xxx) was at the ground due to being the paid laundry wench at the club... at least I think she said "paid"... She's gone now (May God rest her soul. xxx) so I can't check!
This was all long before Steve Bloomer needed any washing done!

I still live nearby, and have never ventured out of the borough!
When viewed through flesh and vein, my blood appears to be black.  When I bleed, it runs white.
I only drink Carlin in the summer, and a hot Toddy in the winter.

My father (Derventio) played scrum half for the Derbyshire Academicals Cricket Team.
My uncle (Ewie Green) was the presenter on the very first TV talent show.

I know there will be doubters... I understand that, given the remarkable tale forthwith regaled... but trust me, I win this thread.  Big Time!

Moooo! 

Son? Is that really you?

12 minutes ago, Alan Ramage 4 EVA said:

Nothing to do with this post but Charlie George hated Bertie Mee the reason he left Arsenal FOR the RAMS

When I was about 16 I delivered a single bed to Charlie George, he gave us 10 bob, well, 50p but that was a decent tip back then. I think the shop I worked for was recommended by Colin Todd because we delivered another single bed maybe for Andy ?‍♂️ the week before but I can’t remember if he tipped us or not.

Edited by Pearl Ram

12 minutes ago, Alan Ramage 4 EVA said:

My first match my Dad took me I was 10 at the BBG v Sheff Utd 1971 3-0 Hector,Hinton 2 pens scorers.

Have a look at the Season 1971-72 scrapbook thread on this forum and go to page 10. This game featured last Saturday because it was exactly 50 years ago.