Derbyshire CCC - Mickey Arthur Appointed

Mihangel

Wrapped it up already ?

Middlesex 196 all out, which I don’t think is a great effort. Derbyshire bowlers bowled well and the pitch offers plenty for the bowlers but like I said previously it’s not a minefield and a fair few of those Middlesex wickets were given away.

219 for a Derbyshire win. Plenty of time, don’t get carried away and bat sensibly.

Edited by jimbo jones

The state of play after this round of games finished.

Right in the mix ? Sadly I think Notts will win the league at a canter. Middlesex aren’t quite the same team after losing both of their overseas (Handscomb & Afridi) so everyone down to maybe even Durham will fancy their chances.

ive also noticed that because it’s a division of only 8, every team plays each other home and away. What a novel idea from the ECB.....?

0BF419AF-8EDB-472F-A42B-A5FAB8AA321C.png

Mickey Arthur’s mid season review...

https://cricket.derbyshireccc.com/2022/06/mickey-arthurs-mid-season-review/

Fascinating read. Some key points, he wants to bring in another experienced seam bowler for next season. That’s definitely the key area to take the next step. Most pitches now aren’t favouring the medium pace swing or spin like it did at Chesterfield. Some genuine pace would be quite nice. He has high hopes for Conners and Potts, and Dustin Melton will leave the club at the end of the season.

He is targeting a successful one day cup ? I do think we have a team that is suited well to that competition, though sadly we will be without Madsen and Du Plooy.

40 minutes ago, jimbo jones said:

Mickey Arthur’s mid season review...

https://cricket.derbyshireccc.com/2022/06/mickey-arthurs-mid-season-review/

Fascinating read. Some key points, he wants to bring in another experienced seam bowler for next season. That’s definitely the key area to take the next step. Most pitches now aren’t favouring the medium pace swing or spin like it did at Chesterfield. Some genuine pace would be quite nice. He has high hopes for Conners and Potts, and Dustin Melton will leave the club at the end of the season.

He is targeting a successful one day cup ? I do think we have a team that is suited well to that competition, though sadly we will be without Madsen and Du Plooy.

A great read. Masood has made such a difference to the batting as M A (not Ashley!) points out, it takes the pressure off the others.

Oddly enough, I was thinking about this earlier this morning, and likening it to my own 'hobby', bizarrely, trumpet playing. I've decades of experience, reasonably competent but unfortunately not matched with faultless technique. If I'm playing lead, I can cope but it can be a bit hit and miss. If I'm playing 2nd to a competent player, no problems, barely a blemish. It's about mental pressure. And I'm not alone in this.

Which is where and how Masood makes such a difference.

52 minutes ago, Phoenix said:

A great read. Masood has made such a difference to the batting as M A (not Ashley!) points out, it takes the pressure off the others.

Oddly enough, I was thinking about this earlier this morning, and likening it to my own 'hobby', bizarrely, trumpet playing. I've decades of experience, reasonably competent but unfortunately not matched with faultless technique. If I'm playing lead, I can cope but it can be a bit hit and miss. If I'm playing 2nd to a competent player, no problems, barely a blemish. It's about mental pressure. And I'm not alone in this.

Which is where and how Masood makes such a difference.

He certainly does. One of my frustrations with the abysmal batting last season was that we clearly have talented batsmen. Madsen has been the leader for a long time, and I don’t think it’s a coincidence he’s having such a good season this year at the ripe old age of 38. Before his injury last season I was wondering if his playing days might be coming to an end, he looks rejuvenated this year. 

Guest has looked the part at 3, and Masoods quick scoring along with Godleman at least hanging around, if not scoring many has meant he’s not often had to come in under pressure in the first few overs. Then Du Plooy has had time to play himself into form because he’s coming in at 5 with plenty of runs on the board most of the time. 

It all stems back to Masood, I just hope we can get back again next year, and the year after that, and....? 

Madsen 38? it's just a number. I may be very slightly out with this but I believe Jack Hobbs scored 100 centuries after his 40th birthday.

Without delving into Wisden, he scored his 100th (of 197) in the 1923 season and he was born in December 1882, so probably correct.

Come on Madders, you can do it!

On 14/06/2022 at 14:30, jimbo jones said:

Godleman runs himself out when there was never a run on ?‍♂️ 18-1

If he wasn’t captain you’d have to think his place in the team would be in jeopardy. Having another poor season.

I would drop him and make Masood captain, put Reece up to open and bring in another batsman or an allrounder.....