The International Adventures of Matty Cazsch

Van der MoodHoover

11 hours ago, Van der MoodHoover said:

.... Who is poised to play for Poland after being granted citizenship through his mother. 

I don't know....first Ben Brereton Diaz now Matty Cashski. Is this some sinister attempt by the Greek firestarter to increase payments due to forest by having their sold players making international appearances for poor teams? ?

Makes me laugh that he was just plain old Ben Brerton til he started playing for chile. Then he stuck the Diaz on the end to make it sound more legit. 

My kids can represent Peru. I might get them in their Olympic team one day. It’s a much lower bar than getting in team gb. They won’t be sticking Marcelo on the end of their names though. 

Just now, TigerTedd said:

Makes me laugh that he was just plain old Ben Brerton til he started playing for chile. Then he stuck the Diaz on the end to make it sound more legit. 

My kids can represent Peru. I might get them in their Olympic team one day. It’s a much lower bar than getting in team gb. They won’t be sticking Marcelo on the end of their names though. 

It made me laugh as well, but has to give him some credit: Brereton-Diaz is excellent footballer whereas Brereton was poo who couldn't stay on his feet. 

Is this like the new Ireland joke? Once had a pint of the black stuff? That'll do for a family link, here is your first cap.

Did cash happen to wander into the local Polish shop and by some random sweets and sliced sausage?

Good luck to him, despite being ex red, he looks like a decent Premier league full back and is progressing his career.

Matty Cash announces he is not good enough to play for England.

That's the headline here right? 

Think it's kinda sad that he will take the place of some Polish player that will see representing his country as the pinnacle of his career.

I'm sure Cash will be hitting journalists up to say how he's a regular shopper down the local Polish store as he secretly spends his nights learning the Polish language on that Duolingo app.

Paulo Sousa should bring him on, let him have a minute on the pitch then send him back to Blighty with a you won't play for us again note in his backpack.

41 minutes ago, David said:

Matty Cash announces he is not good enough to play for England.

That's the headline here right? 

Think it's kinda sad that he will take the place of some Polish player that will see representing his country as the pinnacle of his career.

I'm sure Cash will be hitting journalists up to say how he's a regular shopper down the local Polish store as he secretly spends his nights learning the Polish language on that Duolingo app.

Paulo Sousa should bring him on, let him have a minute on the pitch then send him back to Blighty with a you won't play for us again note in his backpack.

Fair enough if he's never given a toss about his Polish heritage, but I don't think there's any indication of that.

Miguel Delaney speaks quite well on dual nationality issues.

https://www.independent.ie/sport/soccer/international-soccer/miguel-delaney-for-anyone-in-rices-position-nationality-isnt-that-easy-37815094.html

Edited by DarkFruitsRam7

5 minutes ago, DarkFruitsRam7 said:

Fair enough if he's never given a toss about his Polish heritage, but I don't think there's any indication of that.

Miguel Delaney speaks quite well on dual nationality issues.

https://www.independent.ie/sport/soccer/international-soccer/miguel-delaney-for-anyone-in-rices-position-nationality-isnt-that-easy-37815094.html

Declan Rice kept his options open, sorry but you can't be a proud Englishman and proud Irishman, I just don't see how that works.

I'm English, wouldn't say I'm particularly proud of that as such, but it's my country and despite having Irish family would never consider myself to be Irish or even think of pulling on that green jersey.

Had I been a professional footballer and thought by playing on the international stage for Ireland could help my career, I'd probably go for, why not? I don't begrudge the likes of Keogh and Cash for doing it, but don't feel the rules should allow it. 

Rice took the Irish games when offered and then switched to England once his reputation had risen and knew he had a better chance of winning things with England....and that he's English.

He will never admit that, as a professional footballer it's not wise to alienate anyone as you never know where your career could end up, say he wants to go into management and Ireland offer him the job, that opportunity doesn't come along if you start distancing yourself as far away as possibly and insulting the Irish.

He's a smart lad playing the game.

In my mind it should be simple. You either play for your birth country, or the country where both your parents are from. Not grandparents, great grandparents or your hairdresser. Both your parents.

It gets daft where I could be born in England, live here all my life, have one Brazilian parent, one Spanish, Italian grandparents on one side and German on the other and have the ability to choose to play for 1 of the top 5 countries in the world.

51 minutes ago, David said:

Declan Rice kept his options open, sorry but you can't be a proud Englishman and proud Irishman, I just don't see how that works.

I'm English, wouldn't say I'm particularly proud of that as such, but it's my country and despite having Irish family would never consider myself to be Irish or even think of pulling on that green jersey.

Had I been a professional footballer and thought by playing on the international stage for Ireland could help my career, I'd probably go for, why not? I don't begrudge the likes of Keogh and Cash for doing it, but don't feel the rules should allow it. 

Rice took the Irish games when offered and then switched to England once his reputation had risen and knew he had a better chance of winning things with England....and that he's English.

He will never admit that, as a professional footballer it's not wise to alienate anyone as you never know where your career could end up, say he wants to go into management and Ireland offer him the job, that opportunity doesn't come along if you start distancing yourself as far away as possibly and insulting the Irish.

He's a smart lad playing the game.

In my mind it should be simple. You either play for your birth country, or the country where both your parents are from. Not grandparents, great grandparents or your hairdresser. Both your parents.

It gets daft where I could be born in England, live here all my life, have one Brazilian parent, one Spanish, Italian grandparents on one side and German on the other and have the ability to choose to play for 1 of the top 5 countries in the world.

I understand your points, but I think you're being a bit strict in your proposed requirements.

Someone can be massively influenced by (and feel proud of) the culture of the place where one of their parents is from. I would say that deserves qualification.

Keogh's grandma, yeah I can understand that's seen as a bit OTT.

3 minutes ago, DarkFruitsRam7 said:

I understand your points, but I think you're being a bit strict in your proposed requirements.

Someone can be massively influenced by (and feel proud of) the culture of the place where one of their parents is from. I would say that deserves qualification.

Keogh's grandma, yeah I can understand that's seen as a bit OTT.

The rules should be strict, playing for your country should be the pinnacle of your career, it's becoming a bit of a joke when players can jump on ancestry.com and find a way to get a game elsewhere.

Players shouldn't be able to represent one country at youth level, then switch allegiances, that's club football, you can be transferred to other clubs.

Matty Cash, he's even got a whole new identity like he's Jason Bourne or something.

Mateusz Gotówka

That's the name he's going by, I mean come on, it's a direct translation of his name but still, is he going to honour that over here now as well like slapping Diaz at the end of your name. 

9 hours ago, David said:

The rules should be strict, playing for your country should be the pinnacle of your career, it's becoming a bit of a joke when players can jump on ancestry.com and find a way to get a game elsewhere.

Players shouldn't be able to represent one country at youth level, then switch allegiances, that's club football, you can be transferred to other clubs.

Matty Cash, he's even got a whole new identity like he's Jason Bourne or something.

Mateusz Gotówka

That's the name he's going by, I mean come on, it's a direct translation of his name but still, is he going to honour that over here now as well like slapping Diaz at the end of your name. 

I agree it shouldn’t go up to grandparent level, but parents should be fine. My wife is fiercely proud of being Peruvian, we take the kids to Peruvian Independence Day parties in England. They’re not steeped in Peruvian culture here though, it’s difficult. And we’ve been really rubbish at raising them bilingual, but they are very much aware of their Peruvian routes, embrace the fact that they eat weird foods my wife orders online, ‘speak’ to their Nani and abuelo on FaceTime all the time and we go back as often as is practical (gets very expensive with 3 kids though). 

If they got good at something, they’d play for the England youth team. I’m not flying to Peru for their their weekly sessions with the Peruvian youth team. But when they’re older, if they decide they want to represent Peru because they’re not quite good enough to represent England, or because they’re excellent at a sport that England aren’t as good at, and they stand more chance of winning medals with Peru, then I’d be super proud. 

But then heritage and nationality is a weird thing. I’ve got a friend who’s parents are both Irish, but he was born in England. He has always been raised Irish and considers himself to be Irish. By blood, he’s 100% Irish. He married a Belgian. Are his kids half Belgian and half Irish, or half English?

my cousins (twins) were born in Kenya to a Belgian mum and an English dad. By your theory of country of birth, they should represent Kenya, but they only lived their for 5 years. 

International pride lost its meaning years ago.

We live in such a multi cultural world these days with such easy travel and work opportunities abroad that it’s rare you will find a nation of XI players who don’t have ties elsewhere.

Take Raheem Sterling for instance. Born in Jamaica to Jamaican parents.

Here is a quiz for you. Name me a European country ranked in the top 20-30 or so who have a squad made up of solely players born in that country. Bet you will struggle.