The International Adventures of Matty Cazsch

Van der MoodHoover

It is actually possible, and perfectly reasonable, to be proud of all aspects of your mixed heritage. There was an excellent series on Radio 4 a few years ago called "Irish Blood, English Heart" about the dilemma many people with such mixed heritage have. Some people have no hesitation declaring themselves as one or the other, others are more conflicted. I know people who fit both descriptions and I'd never dream of trying to dictate to them how they should feel. 

That said, it's always more convincing when someone openly declares their position at an early age. I don't recall any previous publicity about Cash's Polish connections, but let's hope that he's genuine and not doing it because he's been promised a Łódź of, er, cash. 

20 hours ago, David said:

... it's not wise to alienate anyone as you never know where your career could end up, say he wants to go into management and Ireland offer him the job, that opportunity doesn't come along if you start distancing yourself as far away as possibly and insulting the Irish...

...It gets daft where I could be born in England, live here all my life, have one Brazilian parent, one Spanish, Italian grandparents on one side and German on the other and have the ability to choose to play for 1 of the top 5 countries in the world.

So, You don't fancy the Belgium job when it next comes along then?   ?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FIFA_World_Rankings

11 minutes ago, Van der MoodHoover said:

Having a lunch with VdM junior in the local so going foreign. 

Ie Wiltshire.... ?

IMG_20211030_131035.thumb.jpg.0096d6ea729d534c11f44b0d4c20aa21.jpg

That's a decent winter warmer, and a pleasant change from the ubiquitous (but equally very drinkable) 6X.

Edited by Eddie

• 2 weeks later...

There's a piece about Cash in the Guardian online today. 

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2021/nov/09/matty-cash-relations-in-poland-but-never-been-aston-villa-full-back?CMP=Share_AndroidApp_Other

His maternal grandfather and great-grandparents story is interesting, though not unusual for Polish exiles from WW2. It's obviously been an important part of his family's story and he seems to have had a long cherished dream of playing for Poland, though I do wonder what native-Polish players think of it, particularly those who have had their long cherished dream of playing for Poland taken away from them due to his selection. I imagine that few others will care if he does well for them. 

I think it largely depends on the attitude of the individual player regarding how serious they are about representing their adopted country. Someone like Eduardo da Silva never had any issues with other Croat players or fans because he lived there, learned the language and turned out consistently for the national team over 10 years. On the other end of the spectrum I'd place players like Kevin Prince Boateng who make it blindingly obvious that they have absolutely no connection to the nation they chose to represent other than the desire to play international football. Boateng, a German, would magically feel a real connection to Ghana in world cup years when they'd qualified for the finals and go to play in the tournaments. Strangely, he never felt that connection outside of world cup years and barely ever represented them in the African nations or qualifying campaigns.