Mel Morris

Sean

17 minutes ago, Gaspode said:

Perhaps the club submitted a 'proposed' set of accounts that the EFL weren't happy with? The eFL seem to be happy to make up the rules as they go along so I wouldn't be surprised if they refused to accept accounts that showed we were compliant with FFP....

I think this is basically what we have been told is happening 

3 hours ago, G STAR RAM said:

Thing is, he is ruining his legacy.

What we should be remembering about his time here is 3 play off appearances and the academy he has built.

Instead he will be remembered for selling the ground, transfer embargos, possible points deduction and maybe even relegation.

Add managerial revolving door, the oft ridiculed phrase the Derby way and losing two high profile unfair dismissal claims against key employees to the list.

3 hours ago, G STAR RAM said:

Submit them and then wait to see if the EFL wish to make this battle a legal one or if they are just sabre rattling. 

Problem is, once you have got auditors sign off and filed the accounts, you can’t then un-submit them. So if you lose the game of poker, and if the EFL challenges,  we then have a reluctant owner - and an ongoing dispute with EFl - for maybe years   

that’s league 2 territory 

12 hours ago, IslandExile said:

What do you suggest he do?

Forget, for a moment, how we got here. How do we move forwards?

Cannot sell a club that nobody wants to buy.

Do we take the EFL points deduction to get them off our backs? Will likely mean relegation.

Go into administration? Calamatous.

Open a honest communication with the fans in which he declares: "we're in the poo poo". That'll attract season ticket sales and potential buyers.

So it's all very good demanding action from Mel .... But what exactly?

The reason we can't sell or attract buyers is because people don't know exactly what they're buying into i.e embargo, potential points deductions.

Take whatever the EFL are offering is the way forward here in my opinion. Yes, it most likely means relegation this season. However, this should massively clear the way for a new buyer and therefore the embargo can be lifted and there won't be a threat of administration. Be open and honest with the fans about how and why we got into this situation in the first place and the fact that we now have to lie in the bed that Morris and Co. have made and take probable relegation as a result.

Yes this means it's likely fewer buyers are interested and for a lower price, but I believe Morris has said previously he's open to taking a nominal fee on the proviso the debts are cleared/guaranteed, and personally with the size of the club I believe there still won't be a mass shortage of buyers at this point.

I don't see another way out of this personally, and certainly not as quickly as we'd need it to be.

8 minutes ago, Tyler Durden said:

Add managerial revolving door, the oft ridiculed phrase the Derby way and losing two high profile unfair dismissal claims against key employees to the list.

I certainly don't hold against him sacking a player that was injured in a pissed up car crash and an employee who was basically a major part of our financial situation.

8 minutes ago, kevinhectoring said:

Problem is, once you have got auditors sign off and filed the accounts, you can’t then un-submit them. So if you lose the game of poker, and if the EFL challenges,  we then have a reluctant owner - and an ongoing dispute with EFl - for maybe years   

that’s league 2 territory 

Accounts can be re-stated and resubmitted.

3 minutes ago, kevinhectoring said:

I think this is basically what we have been told is happening 

And all the while this is going on it is suiting MM, fans anger is being directed towards the EFL diverting attention away from MM at present about the dire financial situation which the club finds itself in. 

Nothing will change when the problem with the EFL has been sorted, MM is not going to miraculously stump up £XX Millions to pay all the outstanding debts otherwise he would have done it before now, as he has stated he is only putting enough in to keep the club ticking over,nobody in their right minds would take on such assets even if he sold the club for £1 not including the ground. So come January we could still be in the same situation as now,making use of the academy players,he is not going to want the wage bill increasing. The players whose contracts expire next year may be looking at moves away by signing pre contract terms. 

3 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

I certainly don't hold against him sacking a player that was injured in a pissed up car crash and an employee who was basically a major part of our financial situation.

Well i certainly hold it against him sacking Keogh, so did others otherwise he wouldn't have been ordered to pay up his contract in full. This is not Victorian times were you can just simply get rid of someone because they are no longer of use to you.

The thing i dont understand is why do people keep defending mel? He has absolutely gutted this club.

i work for a national company so most of my work mates are fans of different clubs, all of them are baffled as to why Derby fans arent protesting against the owner and I tend to agree with them.

i ask the question if mel was from italy and had no connection to the club would he be seen as completely different? i think we are blinded by the fan thing - he is dragging the club in the dirt and seemingly gets a free pass. you just look at the whole fan meeting thing last month, it is a damn disgrace

1 minute ago, alram said:

The thing i dont understand is why do people keep defending mel? He has absolutely gutted this club.

i work for a national company so most of my work mates are fans of different clubs, all of them are baffled as to why Derby fans arent protesting against the owner and I tend to agree with them.

i ask the question if mel was from italy and had no connection to the club would he be seen as completely different? i think we are blinded by the fan thing - he is dragging the club in the dirt and seemingly gets a free pass. you just look at the whole fan meeting thing last month, it is a damn disgrace

I agree it doesn't matter to me whether he is from Derby or Dubai

22 minutes ago, Jawa said:

The reason we can't sell or attract buyers is because people don't know exactly what they're buying into i.e embargo, potential points deductions.

Take whatever the EFL are offering is the way forward here in my opinion. Yes, it most likely means relegation this season.

That doesn't help either - will buyers think they're getting a Championship club or a league 1 club?

1 minute ago, atherstoneram said:

I agree it doesn't matter to me whether he is from Derby or Dubai

exactly, you cant tell me the mood towards him would be completely different if he wasnt from Derby.

has his spell here been any different to fawaz from down the road? he at least knew when he wasnt welcome anymore

14 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

That doesn't help either - will buyers think they're getting a Championship club or a league 1 club?

If they have any sense and have watched us this season so far they'd be working on the basis that it's League 1 next year. The difference is that this way they know for sure that all problems have been resolved with the EFL and they have a clean slate to work with whether it's League 1 or by some miracle we scrape survival.

2 minutes ago, Jawa said:

If they have any sense and have watched us this season so far they'd be working on the basis that it's League 1 next year. The difference is that this way they know for sure that all problems have been resolved with the EFL and they have a clean slate to work with whether it's League 1 or by some miracle we scrape survival.

They will only have a clean slate if MM settles all the debts, who would want to come in and sort someone elses financial mess out.

21 minutes ago, atherstoneram said:

They will only have a clean slate if MM settles all the debts, who would want to come in and sort someone elses financial mess out.

Apologies for my wording, I meant clean slate RE: EFL.

All we can hope for is a buyer willing to take on the debts if they can buy the club for a nominal fee which I seem to remember Morris saying he'd be willing to take.

1 minute ago, Jawa said:

Apologies for my wording, I meant clean slate RE: EFL.

All we can hope for is a buyer willing to take on the debts if they can buy the club for a nominal fee which I seem to remember Morris saying he'd be willing to take.

I am sure he would, if the EFL can't make any sense of our accounts i don't know how prospective buyers would.