Mel Morris

Sean

I try and keep things as fair and balanced as I can, as I always do when it comes to Derby County, but tonight was completely symptomatic of where we are at as a club.

Mel, you've been a decent custodian for a number of the years that you have been our owner. It can't have been easy trying to compete with parachute payments and the like and trying to chase the dream with thousands of baying Derby fans full of ambition on your back. I get that. But tonight is a major indicator of the total mess we have now been left with as a club with the unorthodox methods you have employed to try and gain these advantages. Derby fans deserve some finality to the current issues and need to move on to save the club from the inevitable major decline approaching.

You simply can't expect a squad of mostly kids bolstered by some ageing free agents to compete in the toughest league in the world. By trying to plot and work around the financial fair play rules (as flimsy and pathetic as they may be) you have led this great club into an untenable position at the moment. Squad depth is non-existent and in the odd case that we can stay competitive in games our lack of options shines through when the going gets tough in the 75th minute. It is completely unfair on Wayne Rooney and his staff to be left in this position, and completely unfair on the players who have stuck by and are currently fighting for Derby County Football Club.

I understand I will personally never be in the position to walk away from a multi-million pound business so can't imagine the problems this would pose, and I have no doubts that you are doing what you can to keep things afloat, but with the club being a proud institution of Derbyshire, it's so heart-breaking to see that things are going the way they are because of what I feel are personal battles and arguments with members of the EFL board.

To the people of this forum, how much longer can things go on the way they are going without being challenged? We are dying by a thousands cuts in the hope that we may avoid a points deduction and stay up again by the skin of our teeth. In reality, every game that goes by is forcing a points deduction on us whether we like it or not. We can't keep trying to tread water like we are.

What do you suggest he do?

Forget, for a moment, how we got here. How do we move forwards?

Cannot sell a club that nobody wants to buy.

Do we take the EFL points deduction to get them off our backs? Will likely mean relegation.

Go into administration? Calamatous.

Open a honest communication with the fans in which he declares: "we're in the poo poo". That'll attract season ticket sales and potential buyers.

So it's all very good demanding action from Mel .... But what exactly?

Edited by IslandExile

21 minutes ago, IslandExile said:

What do you suggest he do?

Forget, for a moment, how we got here. How do we move forwards?

Cannot sell a club that nobody wants to buy.

Do we take the EFL points deduction to get them off our backs? Will likely mean relegation.

Go into administration? Calamatous.

Open a honest communication with the fans in which he declares: "we're in the poo poo". That'll attract season ticket sales and potential buyers.

So it's all very good demanding action from Mel .... But what exactly?

Bit harsh here pal. I think the OP is just expressing his sentiment and sadness at our current state. I don’t think he has demanded action - but merely expressed his dismay and the need for something to change.

From the outside looking in - most of us surely share this sentiment. Equally, as we are on the outside most of us don’t have sufficient information available to us to begin to know what that right course of action is.

Maybe Mel Is playing the long game and maybe he’ll be proven right and we’ll be ok in the end but right now it’s hurting to see our great club in this horrible horrible place.

2 minutes ago, Dava75 said:

Bit harsh here pal. I think the OP is just expressing his sentiment and sadness at our current state. I don’t think he has demanded action - but merely expressed his dismay and the need for something to change.

From the outside looking in - most of us surely share this sentiment.

I share the sadness too.

And apologies to @Sean. He's a great poster and I didn't mean to treat him harshly.

There's a lot on here demanding action from Mel without saying what he can do. I should have picked up on those rather than venting my spleen on Sean who was merely lamenting the situation.

God, we all want it to change so much.

24 minutes ago, IslandExile said:

I share the sadness too.

And apologies to @Sean. He's a great poster and I didn't mean to treat him harshly.

There's a lot on here demanding action from Mel without saying what he can do. I should have picked up on those rather than venting my spleen on Sean who was merely lamenting the situation.

Thing is no-ones sure what he actually want's.  Does he want to retain a shareholding, thereby securing a share of any season we may miraculously get promoted to milk and honey land . Does he want to get money to clear current liabilities and get cash on top.  Will he sell for a quid if all liability's are paid and walk away with nothing else .  As we get worse his options get less as well.  If we go down he's buggered, as is the club if we drop down carrying these loans. He be selling us for a quid at that point and clearing debt as well so as not to accrue more. I give up 

6 hours ago, Gee SCREAMER !! said:

Thing is no-ones sure what he actually want's.  Does he want to retain a shareholding, thereby securing a share of any season we may miraculously get promoted to milk and honey land . Does he want to get money to clear current liabilities and get cash on top.  Will he sell for a quid if all liability's are paid and walk away with nothing else .  As we get worse his options get less as well.  If we go down he's buggered, as is the club if we drop down carrying these loans. He be selling us for a quid at that point and clearing debt as well so as not to accrue more. I give up 

I don't think MM knows how to get out of the situation, he rolled the dice gambling on promotion and lost.

7 hours ago, Dava75 said:

From the outside looking in - most of us surely share this sentiment. Equally, as we are on the outside most of us don’t have sufficient information available to us to begin to know what that right course of action is.

Maybe Mel Is playing the long game and maybe he’ll be proven right and we’ll be ok in the end but right now it’s hurting to see our great club in this horrible horrible place.

I agree entirely with the OP's sentiments, but as @IslandExile says what exactly can Mel Morris do (rhetorical question because we don't know ANY facts)? If the post was tagged on to one of the hundreds of threads asking the same questions then it would have received many more than 4 positive reactions. We're all anxiously waiting for all of this to end, and I imagine Mel Morris even more so than us.

13 minutes ago, atherstoneram said:

I don't think MM knows how to get out of the situation, he rolled the dice gambling on promotion and lost.

I just think we need to be patient. It will take time to agree a deal with EFl and when he does surely there will be a sale. Good chance that by January we’ll have new owners, and that we’ll be active in the window. With that and Bielik’s return and a modest points deduction we’ll be fine and will stay up. We can look then look forward to 22/23. 
But after the second half yesterday got to think the coming weeks could be grim 

1 minute ago, kevinhectoring said:

I just think we need to be patient. It will take time to agree a deal with EFl and when he does surely there will be a sale. Good chance that by January we’ll have new owners, and that we’ll be active in the window. With that and Bielik’s return and a modest points deduction we’ll be fine and will stay up. We can look then look forward to 22/23. 
But after the second half yesterday got to think the coming weeks could be grim 

I really wish people would stop saying we need to agree a deal with the EFL, we really don't. 

Mel is, I hope, still a Derby fan deep down. I still believe he wants DCFC to succeed to reach the promised land. Bad luck,bad decisions, unforseen pandemic has come and gone and now EFL want their pound of flesh! According to some Mel's health is waning and I can understand he wants out. He is a human being afterall and him and his family come first, as virtually in everyone's family. However he had, albeit reluctantly at the beginning of his tenure, fully took over this great club of ours and we are now in the poop! The fans will ALWAYS back the team, ALWAYS. He has enjoyed the highs and the lows. Mel if you ever now read this forum (especially over the last few months) most fans again i feel would wish you well and enjoy your time with your family. Please please though sort it out once and for all with the EFL and hopefully arrange a takeover. UTR. ( As a side note I think Mel wants us be reach 9 points before caving in to EFL pressure. A nine point deduction would bring us to 0 points which would psychologically LOOK better for the team and fans and hopefully spur us on to at least stay in this league).

8 hours ago, Sean said:

I try and keep things as fair and balanced as I can, as I always do when it comes to Derby County, but tonight was completely symptomatic of where we are at as a club.

Mel, you've been a decent custodian for a number of the years that you have been our owner. It can't have been easy trying to compete with parachute payments and the like and trying to chase the dream with thousands of baying Derby fans full of ambition on your back. I get that. But tonight is a major indicator of the total mess we have now been left with as a club with the unorthodox methods you have employed to try and gain these advantages. Derby fans deserve some finality to the current issues and need to move on to save the club from the inevitable major decline approaching.

You simply can't expect a squad of mostly kids bolstered by some ageing free agents to compete in the toughest league in the world. By trying to plot and work around the financial fair play rules (as flimsy and pathetic as they may be) you have led this great club into an untenable position at the moment. Squad depth is non-existent and in the odd case that we can stay competitive in games our lack of options shines through when the going gets tough in the 75th minute. It is completely unfair on Wayne Rooney and his staff to be left in this position, and completely unfair on the players who have stuck by and are currently fighting for Derby County Football Club.

I understand I will personally never be in the position to walk away from a multi-million pound business so can't imagine the problems this would pose, and I have no doubts that you are doing what you can to keep things afloat, but with the club being a proud institution of Derbyshire, it's so heart-breaking to see that things are going the way they are because of what I feel are personal battles and arguments with members of the EFL board.

To the people of this forum, how much longer can things go on the way they are going without being challenged? We are dying by a thousands cuts in the hope that we may avoid a points deduction and stay up again by the skin of our teeth. In reality, every game that goes by is forcing a points deduction on us whether we like it or not. We can't keep trying to tread water like we are.

I agree entirely but I don’t think there is anything in this post that hasn’t already been said several times before.

14 minutes ago, eccles the ram said:

Mel is, I hope, still a Derby fan deep down. I still believe he wants DCFC to succeed to reach the promised land. Bad luck,bad decisions, unforseen pandemic has come and gone and now EFL want their pound of flesh! According to some Mel's health is waning and I can understand he wants out. He is a human being afterall and him and his family come first, as virtually in everyone's family. However he had, albeit reluctantly at the beginning of his tenure, fully took over this great club of ours and we are now in the poop! The fans will ALWAYS back the team, ALWAYS. He has enjoyed the highs and the lows. Mel if you ever now read this forum (especially over the last few months) most fans again i feel would wish you well and enjoy your time with your family. Please please though sort it out once and for all with the EFL and hopefully arrange a takeover. UTR. ( As a side note I think Mel wants us be reach 9 points before caving in to EFL pressure. A nine point deduction would bring us to 0 points which would psychologically LOOK better for the team and fans and hopefully spur us on to at least stay in this league).

Thing is, he is ruining his legacy.

What we should be remembering about his time here is 3 play off appearances and the academy he has built.

Instead he will be remembered for selling the ground, transfer embargos, possible points deduction and maybe even relegation.

Edited by G STAR RAM

4 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

Thing is, he is ruining his legacy.

What we should be remembering about his time here is 3 play off appearances and the academy he has built.

Instead he will be remembered for selling the ground, transfer embargos, possible points deduction and maybe even relegation.

Very true, IF we are found guilty and docked points. Will people's opinions change however if all charges against us are dropped and we  find that we have been in embargoes unjustly for the past however many years. He spent (we believe) millions of his own money trying to get to the Prem. Just maybe (I know as much as anyone else on here) the EFL have screwed him over and he loses all of his investment, plus the club he loves as much as we do is in the ?. I'm not trying to defend Mel at all costs, if the club does end up with points deductions or worse then the buck will stop at Mel's door.

8 hours ago, IslandExile said:

I share the sadness too.

No you should have picked on Morris - we ALL want change, only he can bring it about!

9 hours ago, Sean said:

1 bad result and suddenly that result is the picture of the club. Gheeze it’s football, you win some you loose some. 
What I saw tonight was no different to what we used to see under Nigel clough, honest enough hard working group of lads willing to try and play football on the ground. We’ll win some we’ll loose some. Mid to lower table if we avoid points penalty.