Steve McClaren

Poynton ram

9 minutes ago, Kathcairns said:

Dont know how old you are, but hope you was around late 60's early 70's and smiths time, you would have loved it.

I was for Smiths time. Not for anything else. Sadly for what can't even be considered a young generation now there's mostly boredom broken up by small spells of embarrassment and fleeting joy.

I'm 36 and McClaren goes down as fleeting joy. 

I mean, even Billy Davies gets in that category and I can't think Billy brings joy to many people in life

Just now, Alpha said:

I was for Smiths time. Not for anything else. Sadly for what can't even be considered a young generation now there's mostly boredom broken up by small spells of embarrassment and fleeting joy.

I mean, even Billy Davies gets in that category and I can't think Billy brings joy to many people in life

In retrospect Steve should be applauded for what he has done for Derby County and I wasn’t always his biggest advocate.

Missing out against QPR at Wembley was cruel and we didn’t deserve it. 

15 hours ago, Curtains said:

A good midfielder I remember 

He was a midfielder, we can disagree on the other part.

I don't dislike Mac and he has been a good servant to the club but remind me what he won again? It's not hard to paint each of his stays here as ultimately being ones of failure and I'm not quite sure this vision of him as the Messiah three times over lines up well with the facts.

Just now, BaaLocks said:

I don't dislike Mac and he has been a good servant to the club but remind me what he won again? It's not hard to paint each of his stays here as ultimately being ones of failure and I'm not quite sure this vision of him as the Messiah three times over lines up well with the facts.

Depends how you define failure .

Watching George Thorne at his best run Derby midfield wasn’t failure .

Watching Derby demolition of Forest 5-0 was enjoyable .

5 minutes ago, BaaLocks said:

Based on that, most managers haven’t won anything with us so they are all failures. Players too! 

I think he's still in credit. Along with TBE he coached a swashbuckling team that was arguably as attractive and exciting to watch as those built by Clough Sr and Mackay, and some of the football played by his 2013-15 team was the best I've ever seen at this level. Some of the team goals scored in both eras are breathtaking. 

Thanks for the memories Steve, you'll always be welcome at Derby, just not as a manager anymore! 

33 minutes ago, Alpha said:

You are right,but its our team and we still keep going and hoping, thats all we can do in these difficult times.xx

6 minutes ago, Kathcairns said:

You are right,but its our team and we still keep going and hoping, thats all we can do in these difficult times.xx

And remembering our great history is part of the reason we want the club to keep going, we hope to see great teams and some success in the future. 

1 hour ago, Curtains said:

In retrospect Steve should be applauded for what he has done for Derby County and I wasn’t always his biggest advocate.

Missing out against QPR at Wembley was cruel and we didn’t deserve it. 

Well between Lampard, Rowett, Mac and Wassall surely they earned enough bad luck that the play off Gods will take pity on us next time. 

It might just have to be the League 1 play offs though

2 hours ago, Curtains said:

Depends how you define success as well. As I said, I'm not a Mac hater but I'm also not going to get dewy eyed about missing out on the play offs when we were top at Easter, I'm not going to laud someone as the Messiah for not being able to get that team - with that midfield, wow it was good - promoted. 

And yes, 5-0 Forest was a fine day out - loved it. Just as I loved watching us beat Man Utd in the League Cup semi but I don't see four pages of tributes to David Lowe.

Edited by BaaLocks

1 hour ago, TheresOnlyWanChope said:

Of course but it Derby never win anything like 90 per cent of clubs in the land. To simply say you’re a failure if you win nothing is over simplistic and seems quite harsh. 

It depends really, I get your point that it's harsh to expect every manager to take us to the Champions League and sometimes victory is moral (5-0 against Forest was a victory for me, even if it didn't come with a trophy - OBE Cup aside). But Mac had a couple of healthy cracks at it, a side that were clearly good enough and a budget to bring in what was needed. He only had to have succeeded on one of those four occassions and we'd not be in Admin today. To repeat, I'm not a Mac hater but there's been no Derby manager since Jim Smith who has had more time, resource and funding to get this team promoted and yet, sadly, did not achieve the very thing he was brought here to achieve.

Dreadful last stint as manager who can forget Derby 0 - Reading 3 in May 2015, we needed 1 fxxxing point to make the play offs ( I wish I could forget it) and he engineered a total cluster.

First managerial stint he inherited a great team built by Nigel, then left for the riches of managing Newcastle, totally useless individual as a player and as a manger.

4 hours ago, Curtains said:

Would that be the same George Thorne who played in 8 years 57 games for the Rams and scored 2 goals after signing for £3 million so taking into account his wages of £10 million in that period so we paid him £2,500 for every minute he played for the Rams, and £6.5 million for every goal, he was pants as his entire career shows 129 games in 10 years and only 6 goals. Whats more Morris cannot be blamed for his signing.

1 hour ago, Charlotte Ram said:

Would that be the same George Thorne who played in 8 years 57 games for the Rams and scored 2 goals after signing for £3 million so taking into account his wages of £10 million in that period so we paid him £2,500 for every minute he played for the Rams, and £6.5 million for every goal, he was pants as his entire career shows 129 games in 10 years and only 6 goals. Whats more Morris cannot be blamed for his signing.

8 years for DCFC ? Don’t think so 

1 hour ago, Charlotte Ram said:

Who was blaming him for that?

The point was the quality of the football. Oh and the pleasure of being popular with a lot of fans for the way we played. If you think that was ever going to happen under Clough you're deluding yourself. ?