Louie Sibley - joined Oxford

If it clicks for him in the Oxford set up there's every chance he could "do a Whittaker" and we'll be left cursing letting him go. There's also of course the big chance it doesn't fully click there either.

It'll be very strange seeing Bird, Knight, Sibley and Whittaker visit with the opposition this season. Hope they all have good seasons accompanied by absolutely stinkers against us!

15 goals from midfield in the championship is a big ask playing for a newly promoted side in which the second highest scorer from last season is also a midfielder.

I would have thought 10 goals and half a dozen assist would represent a decent season for him.

The other thing with Sibs, while I think about it, is that almost all his most impressive moments in a Rams shirt have involved Max Bird in some way or another. They had a near-telepathic ability to link and read each others play for neat one touch football and runs, and that comes from all the years they've played together through the youth team and the like. He's never managed to find that gel and link up with anyone else (although there have been moments with NML) whereas Max has managed to form understandings with almost everyone he's played with (bar maybe Hourihane). I guess what Oxford will need to cultivate. If they can, he'll forge a good career. If he can just hang out around the box, play one twos and bang in shots from 20 yards then he'll be on to a winner 

3 hours ago, MACKWORTHRAM said:

Are you Sibley's Dad?

The other day you had him signing for Wolves or a lower end prem team now you think he can score 15 goals in the champ next season?

The lad has scored 13 goals in 147 games.

He has played under several managers here and if he was lower end prem or as good as some people think he is, he would have earnt the right to play and been a mainstay in his preferred position and he most certainly would have set league one alight.

Sibley would often come on and do well then he would be pretty poor next game, get a booking and have to go off because no manager could trust him not to get another booking.

I actually think the only time he consistently played well for us was when he was at LWB. I know he may think he prefers midfield, and thats fine. But I actually think his best position is LWB. 

If Sibley scores 15 goals for Oxford next season I will donate £100 to a charity of your choice 🙂

I have to agree. Knight, Bird & Sibley … I supported them wholeheartedly whilst playing for DCFC and I wish all 3 of them well in their future careers but x2 to Bristol City & x1 to Oxford … really!! That in itself speaks volumes as to what the rest of the PL & EFL managers thought of them. There are times when we collectively need a reality check when we judge just how good ‘one of our own’ is. Sorry if this sounds harsh but its how I see it 😳

Edited by Gisby

2 hours ago, Gisby said:

I have to agree. Knight, Bird & Sibley … I supported them wholeheartedly whilst playing for DCFC and I wish all 3 of them well in their future careers but x2 to Bristol City & x1 to Oxford … really!! That in itself speaks volumes as to what the rest of the PL & EFL managers thought of them. There are times when we collectively need a reality check when we judge just how good ‘one of our own’ is. Sorry if this sounds harsh but its how I see it 😳

Yes. Total agreement. Maybe the 3 of them fancied a new challenge, more money....or whatever... but -IMO they've gone to "lesser" clubs...which seems odd to me ..

26 minutes ago, kevinhectoring said:

Gone to lesser clubs ? When Bird and Knight left we were in div 1 with no guarantee that would change 

They had a thread about this recently on their end.  Consensus, Derby are a far bigger club than Bristol City,  much the same as Man Utd are much bigger than Derby.  Couple of seasons playing different teams makes no difference.   

7 hours ago, abertawe_ram said:

It'll be very strange seeing Bird, Knight, Sibley and Whittaker visit with the opposition this season. Hope they all have good seasons accompanied by absolutely stinkers against us!

Haydn Roberts at Brizzle too. 

Max Lowe and Jaydon Bogle will be coming back for the first time I think. 

As it stands we could potentially come up against Ebou, Kasey Palmer, Bamford, Mengi, Louis Watson, Matt Clarke, Emil Rees Jacobson, midget Holmes, Osulu ans Patrick Roberts. 

8 hours ago, Gee SCREAMER !! said:

They had a thread about this recently on their end.  Consensus, Derby are a far bigger club than Bristol City,  much the same as Man Utd are much bigger than Derby.  Couple of seasons playing different teams makes no difference.   

Agree tho there are scenarios (especially a change in Bristol ownership) which over a decade or two could change those relative positions  

but eg knight’s move made perfect  sense from a career perspective. It’s nuts to suggest it was an odd move just because he left to a ‘lesser club’

48 minutes ago, kevinhectoring said:

Agree tho there are scenarios (especially a change in Bristol ownership) which over a decade or two could change those relative positions  

but eg knight’s move made perfect  sense from a career perspective. It’s nuts to suggest it was an odd move just because he left to a ‘lesser club’

Massively off topic here, but what do you mean by that? They’re currently owned by a Billionaire, who has invested a fair bit into a number of sporting ventures within Bristol, yet they’re still sitting consistently mid table in the Championship. Who else would come in to own them and what difference would it make? 

And if we’re talking hypothetically, what if the American investment you’re regularly championing appeared at Derby, propelling us to the next level? You surely can’t judge the size of Derby County against Bristol City on what if scenarios? 
I do agree that Knight’s move made sense at the time, just trying to understand the other point you’re making.

Edited by Caerphilly Ram
Added thoughts

9 hours ago, kevinhectoring said:

Gone to lesser clubs ? When Bird and Knight left we were in div 1 with no guarantee that would change 

I said "clubs"... not division status... bigger clubs than Derby (in the Champ) I'd say the likes of Leeds and maybe Sunderland off the top of my head. When you look at it, in current times, other than in the Prem there's not actually that many clubs bigger. Many similar sized like the Sheffield Clubs, Leicester, Southampton etc

Personally I wouldn't class Brissle or Oxford as bigger Clubs... but everyone has their own opinions eh 😊

2 minutes ago, Gerry Daly said:

He's gone. Let's move on eh?

Yes I think it was rather inevitable that he would leave.

This year’s team was always going to be markedly different. I suspect only four or five will remain of last year’s first eleven.

He showed promise and was always a trier but I can’t say I’m as sad at his departure as I was when Knight and Bird left.

I will cheer whoever takes his place.