Paul Mariner has died

Bob The Badger

Sad news indeed.
Sign of the times I guess, as we all move closer and closer to "That generation"!

Very much a part of "My era", when my attention to football in general was at its most concentrated. 
Not quite an all-time great, (Ipswich fans may well argue that point, and rightly so!), but most certainly a very good player, in a very good (Ipswich) team, to the point of having a big part to play in their European success. 
I also (vaguely) recall him scoring in 6 (?) consecutive England appearances, which stood him alongside Greavesie, I believe, so far from shabby, even with Three Lions on his shirt.  
(I think he also scored the game-killer against France at Spain '82 (The game where Robson scored after 8 seconds ish)?

Yeah... more than decent... sad news indeed.

RIP, sir... and thanks for the memories, as vague as they are.

xxx

4 hours ago, Dordogne-Ram said:

I seem to remember that he signed for DCFC on loan from Ipswich but due to health reasons didn't actually play for us.

Cannot find any reference to him in any dcfc records - can anyone else recall this please?

I think you're thinking of Trevor Wymark? He played I think 2 games for us before taking ill with (I think) glandular fever.