Academy Thread 21/22

Shadowplay

1 hour ago, RoyMac5 said:

I read this last night after only having watched the first half.

We weren't dominant all half at all but had spells after they scored early (5 minutes in). I assumed we'd fell apart and been slaughtered, but I see it ended 1-0.

We were much improved after the break and were actually the more likely side to score. With the number of u23's we have in the first team squad it obviously weakens us in this u23 Premier League 2 division. A straight match up between Everton's best u23's and ours would probably see us run out impressive winners.

From what I've seen previously and last night I have to question why we released Cameron Cresswell yet retained Cybulski. The former looked to be a much better forward. 

2 minutes ago, Rampant said:

We were much improved after the break and were actually the more likely side to score. With the number of u23's we have in the first team squad it obviously weakens us in this u23 Premier League 2 division. A straight match up between Everton's best u23's and ours would probably see us run out impressive winners.

From what I've seen previously and last night I have to question why we released Cameron Cresswell yet retained Cybulski. The former looked to be a much better forward. 

Age...

3 minutes ago, Rampant said:

In fairness, cybulski is not yet 19 and clearly has some scope to fill out physically

Cresswell is pushing 22 and that three years is huge early in the career

Im holding out hope for big Bart 

1 hour ago, Jram said:

In fairness, cybulski is not yet 19 and clearly has some scope to fill out physically

Cresswell is pushing 22 and that three years is huge early in the career

Im holding out hope for big Bart 

The only thing he appeared to have going for him is his height. I'm holding out hope for Plange.

10 minutes ago, Ghost of Clough said:

He's had a decent record at youth level in all fairness. Averaged about 1 in 2 last season and I don't recall a single goal with his head... more of a poacher surprisingly.

Well yes I didn't think he was a 'big target man', but he's looked nothing at all in the 23s so far.

1 minute ago, RoyMac5 said:

I think Cybulski gets that spot in preference?

Possibly. We struggled to involve the big man tbf to him but he doesn't appear to be the type of player you slide through balls into. Maybe I'm being too harsh and, as suggested above, he'll kick on over the next year or two.

On 11/09/2021 at 12:43, Carl Sagan said:

New signing for the Academy

A midfielder who was on Arsenal's ranks originally. Has played England U16s.

This is brilliant ...

"Derby are unable to sign players to their senior team due to the transfer embargo placed on them by the EFL, but they can still add youth players to their ranks."

4 hours ago, FrostedRam said:

Is that correct though, are they not classed as scholars in the U18 so we could play them in the first team if we wanted 

it depends if they've signed a professional contract or not.

Although it might be the case that we are allowed to promote the U23's into the first team now, but all it will mean is that come January if we're still under embargo that we'd have to sell more players to bring in fresh faces.

1 hour ago, Stuniverse said:
Osazee Aghatise with the first (0-1), Bartosz Cybulski with the second (1-2), and a penalty for the third (1-3) but it finished 3-3.

Reasonable coverage on Norwich City Academy Twitter but couldn’t find any Derby County Academy coverage.

https://www.canaries.co.uk/content/tom-dickson-peters-hat-trick-earns-under-23s-a-point-in-premier-league-cup - match report.