Tactically inept

IslandExile

10 minutes ago, nottingram said:

Taking off our target man and bringing on Louie Sibley saw no discernible change in style from hoofing it long.

Proof, if it were still needed, that we are operating under a throwing mud and hoping it sticks model. If Bielik had never been signed we would be below Wycombe. Ask yourself if Wycombe or Rotherham might fancy having some of these players to choose from. I would imagine they would snap your hands off for plenty of them. 

We might be saved only by Rotherham’s backlog from appearing to be lax with Covid regulations. This shouldn’t diminish the pathetic level we have been managed at this season by both the board and manager(s). Rooney should be gone tomorrow, in fact he should’ve been gone at least two weeks ago. We may not need another point but should we really be leaving it to chance?

this 100%

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply
18 minutes ago, nottingram said:

Taking off our target man and bringing on Louie Sibley saw no discernible change in style from hoofing it long.

Proof, if it were still needed, that we are operating under a throwing mud and hoping it sticks model. If Bielik had never been signed we would be below Wycombe. Ask yourself if Wycombe or Rotherham might fancy having some of these players to choose from. I would imagine they would snap your hands off for plenty of them. 

We might be saved only by Rotherham’s backlog from appearing to be lax with Covid regulations. This shouldn’t diminish the pathetic level we have been managed at this season by both the board and manager(s). Rooney should be gone tomorrow, in fact he should’ve been gone at least two weeks ago. We may not need another point but should we really be leaving it to chance?

8 minutes ago, DCFClks said:

this 100%

Agreed. 

2 hours ago, Jimbo Ram said:

Such a contrast between our novice and Bowyer...he proactively changed personnel, formation and tactics and turned the game around....our novice puts our two most offensive subs on with 4 minutes to go....

But of course Bowyer is no novice.

3 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

But of course Bowyer is no novice.

Roy Mac you are the Black Knight from the Holy Grail....just to enlighten you Mr Bowyer had 3 years as Manager of Charlton, nearly 160 games as No 1, the Big Cheese prior to taking over at Brum. 41% win rate with Charlton and 62% win rate with Brum. OK ?

2 hours ago, Jimbo Ram said:

Such a contrast between our novice and Bowyer...he proactively changed personnel, formation and tactics and turned the game around....our novice puts our two most offensive subs on with 4 minutes to go....

And he would have been easily attainable in November if we so wished

5 hours ago, Cam the Ram said:

Didn't Wayne say something along the lines of he'll wait until pre-season to begin implementing his style onto the team? It's crazy that he's been here 5 months + and he doesn't believe that he could develop a style into the team in that time. 

This is what I've not been able to get my head round. He has wasted the last 6 months. 

If he had tried to implement his style from the start and we were struggling as much as we are now, but could see what he was trying to do, and see what the plan is, then I'm more fans would be happier to give him an opportunity to bring in his players and develop next season. 

The thing about our tactics and copying the opposition is it’s just about everything.  It’s not like we match the oppositions formation to nullify them but play our own style of football (I’m not even sure we have one).  If they play long ball then so will we.  If it’s a short passing game then we’ll play that way too.  Brum are a threat at long throws, we take long throws!!

3 minutes ago, FlyBritishMidland said:

The thing about our tactics and copying the opposition is it’s just about everything.  It’s not like we match the oppositions formation to nullify them but play our own style of football (I’m not even sure we have one).  If they play long ball then so will we.  If it’s a short passing game then we’ll play that way too.  Brum are a threat at long throws, we take long throws!!

We need to make the opposition worry about us for a change. It seems to me Wazza’s philosophy is to go for 0-0 and anything else would be a bonus. There never seems to be any attacking intent. Today’s line up was too cautious and defensive, aimed at nullifying them, a comment I made as soon as I saw it..

6 hours ago, Cam the Ram said:

Didn't Wayne say something along the lines of he'll wait until pre-season to begin implementing his style onto the team? It's crazy that he's been here 5 months + and he doesn't believe that he could develop a style into the team in that time. 

Bowyer turned up at Birmingham and knew what to do right from the start. We got a rookie who probably does not know what to do with these lot. Rooney was a special talent who probably never had to be told what to do on a pitch, he was a natural player, you could play him anywhere he could do it. Once he's done with us, he might reflect on this and think these lot werent capable of doing what I had In mind and I could not get the message across either. Double whammy.

Ehhh...we go again

Who would have thought it, someone not qualified for the job doesn’t have a clue what they’re doing?! Who could have possibly seen that coming...

Rooney is just a terrible, terrible coach. I’d be astounded if he gets another job after this one. He just doesn’t have any ideas, so he just decides to copy the opposition every game instead. Except, unsurprisingly, they’re better at playing that way because they’ve been doing it all season! Where on Earth is your style of play Wayne?! Because right now the only “tactic” I can see is to hoof it up front and hope for the best. But, even if we do somehow make it that far, you set up so negatively that we only have 3 players forward max, the rest are all still camped in our half! So we never have enough movement to actually create any chances! And don’t get me started on the late subs, what the hell is Roberts going to do in 2 minutes on the pitch?!

It’s just terrible, it really is. Just shows you that your playing career has no influence on how good you are as a manager. Doubt many of us on here have played professionally, but I’d back 90% of us to do a better job than Rooney. The team isn’t great, but it’s not this bad. He’s rank incompetent, it’s as simple as that.

Having slept on it, to try and calm down, I've woken to feel even more angry - well more sad really.

Hoof ball is not the way to go.

In his interview, Rooney said the players did what he wanted "play more direct, match Birmingham's style".

As I said when he played Roberts, Jozwiak, Lawrence and Sibley together for 45 mins, Rooney himself said that it worked and caused problems for the opposition.

That's what we should be doing. Playing football. With our creative players. Taking it to the opposition, not just booting the ball down to their end hoping that the unfit CKR can do something.

Argh!!!!

Archived