What now for Mac?

FindernRam

Apologies if its already buried elsewhere.

Mac has been quiet recently and not seen anything about his position.

It seemed he was staying with the Sheik coming, but what now?

Personally even behind scenes I think he'd be good for some stability.

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

At a guess his de facto Director of Football role will end once the new ownership is in place and I imagine the new owners have their own ideas about that so he'll probably be around to do hand over and then be out the club.

Unless Mel decides to have one last go at sacking him, just for the lulz.

I think the whole coaching set up needs looking at in the summer. It is seriously lacking in experience. 

Rooney - rookie

Rosenior - rookie, this is his first year as main first team coach.

Walker - first year in a first team set up.

When Rooney was appointed, I was OK with it as long as he had an experienced no.2 e.g McClaren, Phelan etc. For me, McClaren would be ideal in that role, his main strength is as a coach. Get him back on the grass with Rooney. His current role, whatever that is, doesn’t play to his main strengths for me. Either way we need some experience in the dugout/on the training ground next season. 

1 minute ago, enachops said:

For me, McClaren would be ideal in that role, his main strength is as a coach. Get him back on the grass with Rooney. 

This 

Well said absolutely spot on 

Great number two

Average Manager

Experience for Rooney to lean on to - could be a great combo

44 minutes ago, RadioactiveWaste said:

Unless Mel decides to have one last go at sacking him, just for the lulz.

If I'm honest, I think this is probably the nub of why Steve Gibson hates us. All the times Mel gives him a wink, says but I've sacked Steve mcclaren twice just sends him into a jealous rage.
When you think about it, sacking Steve mcclaren is probably one of the few highlights of owning a football club. Fernandez, Ashley, Gibson Mel all sharing stories about it over a pink gin.....

30 minutes ago, enachops said:

I think the whole coaching set up needs looking at in the summer. It is seriously lacking in experience. 

Rooney - rookie

Rosenior - rookie, this is his first year as main first team coach.

Walker - first year in a first team set up.

When Rooney was appointed, I was OK with it as long as he had an experienced no.2 e.g McClaren, Phelan etc. For me, McClaren would be ideal in that role, his main strength is as a coach. Get him back on the grass with Rooney. His current role, whatever that is, doesn’t play to his main strengths for me. Either way we need some experience in the dugout/on the training ground next season. 

Well if Rooney is ‘on the grass’ it would certainly explain some of his team selections. Maybe the Waggy saga was due to him not nipping to the garage for munchies. 

If Mac is to be No.2 I would strongly recommend he stays off the grass and keeps a level head. 

I got wind of some of the people fronting the takeover bid a day or so before it was revealed. It was suggested it was probably the usual football agent BS chatter but clearly it seems it wasn't. 

Changes to the footballing structural set up were also mentioned. Time will tell I suppose.  

1 hour ago, Jimbo Ram said:

Think he was more than an average Manager..for us at least...

Very mixed career....He seemed to flit between the extremes of very successful or bad failures

Success at: Boro, twente, us, 

Failed at: Wolfsburg, the red dogs ?, Newcastle, Qpr and of course England

I agree with those saying he’d make a great number 2, but I don’t think that’s what he wants.

11 minutes ago, Ramarena said:

Very mixed career....He seemed to flit between the extremes of very successful or bad failures

Success at: Boro, twente, us, 

Failed at: Wolfsburg, the red dogs ?, Newcastle, Qpr and of course England

I agree with those saying he’d make a great number 2, but I don’t think that’s what he wants.

His record for England was very good, other than 1 bad night in the rain...

2 minutes ago, Jimbo Ram said:

Maybe.....still did great for us and I loved his brand of football ?

Yep....easily makes my top three managers since the Cox era. Alongside Jim smith and Burley, the fact that he was also part of the Smith success is another feather in his cap!

2 hours ago, Jimbo Ram said:

Think he was more than an average Manager..for us at least...

League cup and eredivision from nearly 700 games

for us he managed to inspire us to lose a playoff final that we should have won if not gone up automatically and then a run to miraculously finish outside the playoffs when it seemed impossible to do.

I think if there was no pressure he would be a good manager, but he frequently falls at the big hurdle.

For us the win % age was good, but at cruch times we were found lacking.

So possibly a better than average manager - but judged against other 600+ games, or ex international managers - distinctly bang average.

But my point has always been he is a top class number two - i think Alex Ferguson, Jim Smith and Harry Redknapp would all agree

Archived