We used to be good once

TigerTedd

Just killing time on YouTube and this video popped up:

Brought a tear to my eye this did. I can’t work out if that’s because I feel like we’ll never be this good again, or because I feel like there’s still hope for us to be this good in the future. 

feel free to spam this thread with other examples of us being good. A couple of clips of Asanovic, Baiano and Eranio would be a good start. And if you old folk can work YouTube, you could even give some black and white zoetrope style footage of when we actually were the best in the country. 

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Few takeaways from this - 

Brizzle's keeper should've done a lot better for a couple of those Ince goals.

Dawkins was some player, and should've been a legend here.

The contrast between the Brighton side we played in the 1st & 2nd legs of the play off semis is massive.

If Man Cit-eh had scored that goal against Hull, the MOTD team would've collectively creamed themselves live on air.

Still laugh at Jamie Ward's undiluted poo-housing at Fo***t.

And to think we were all dreaming of Will Hughes either leading us into the Premiership or being sold for £20m at least.  Enter the utter Bamford Gary Rowett...

The 5-0 results always leaves me twinged with frustration.

I think the 5th goal was scored in about the 65th minute and I reckon we could have got 2 or 3 more that day as we we're outstanding and they we're awful. 

Can you imagine Derby 8 (Eight) as they would have put on the old vidiprinter Forest 0.  I'm sure James Alexander Gordon also used to read a result like this twice.  

I can but dream

Gangway D from the terrace 

4 hours ago, TigerTedd said:

Just killing time on YouTube and this video popped up:

Brought a tear to my eye this did. I can’t work out if that’s because I feel like we’ll never be this good again, or because I feel like there’s still hope for us to be this good in the future. 

feel free to spam this thread with other examples of us being good. A couple of clips of Asanovic, Baiano and Eranio would be a good start. And if you old folk can work YouTube, you could even give some black and white zoetrope style footage of when we actually were the best in the country. 

Enjoyed that ?

4 hours ago, DCFClks said:

Terrible commentary. But it doesn't half show what a talent Giles Barnes was. Extraordinary. Never quite got to the bottom of his injury, yet still coming on in the playoff final to make the winning goal for us, but then never being able to play at the same level again.

6 hours ago, ramsbottom said:

Dawkins was some player, and should've been a legend here

Loved Dawkins. So tidy on the ball, never seemed to give it away, such an intelligent player. Wish he'd been given a proper run in the centre of midfield. 

1 minute ago, vonwright said:

Loved Dawkins. So tidy on the ball, never seemed to give it away, such an intelligent player. Wish he'd been given a proper run in the centre of midfield. 

From what I understand a very popular guy in the dressing room. A lot of them weren't chuffed when he left and were very put out as it was so quick and he wasn't looking to go.  Form dropped away a bit after that for the rest of the season as he was quite a grounded fella amongst plenty of egos.

ITK - not often- thanks to me uncle.  

6 minutes ago, Gee SCREAMER !! said:

From what I understand a very popular guy in the dressing room. A lot of them weren't chuffed when he left and were very put out as it was so quick and he wasn't looking to go.  Form dropped away a bit after that for the rest of the season as he was quite a grounded fella amongst plenty of egos.

Cheers. I always think he had a weird career and it's strange it never really worked out anywhere. Tottenham kept him around for long enough to think they must have seen something in him, but he definitely underachieved. 

(Edit: still only 33, free agent, sign him up...)

1 hour ago, Jimbo Ram said:

Yes, agree, really underrated ?

1 hour ago, Gee SCREAMER !! said:

Didn’t he suffer a personal tragedy that effected his form a bit towards the end of his time with us???

A lot of folks underrated him cus his goals & assist stats weren’t great. But neither were Will Hughes’

1 minute ago, ramsbottom said:

Didn’t he suffer a personal tragedy that effected his form a bit towards the end of his time with us???

A lot of folks underrated him cus his goals & assist stats weren’t great. But neither were Will Hughes’

I honestly don't know.  Possibly. 

4 hours ago, GangwayD said:

The 5-0 results always leaves me twinged with frustration.

I think the 5th goal was scored in about the 65th minute and I reckon we could have got 2 or 3 more that day as we we're outstanding and they we're awful. 

Can you imagine Derby 8 (Eight) as they would have put on the old vidiprinter Forest 0.  I'm sure James Alexander Gordon also used to read a result like this twice.  

I can but dream

Gangway D from the terrace 

No doubt about that.  Suppose we started running out gas after 75 minutes of constant Red dog rearing but we should have had a good eight/ nine goals that day.  They really were awful and there heads had gone entirely.

6 hours ago, ramsbottom said:

His mother was very ill in Jamaica and I think may have died, which had a big effect on Simon. 

Archived