Final 8 Starting Line Up

DCFC1388

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply
10 minutes ago, Ramarena said:

We can do as many line ups as we like but it’s how the tactics are deployed that’s they problem here.

Today was a prime example I mostly agreed with the line up, but when they kicked off and we had 7 defensive players, a massive gap and then 3 attackers I knew it was going to be a long and ultimately painful game. 

The squad seems to be completely absent of any box-to-box midfielders, our midfielders are mostly incredibly defensive, except Lawrence and Sibley who are attacking, there's no one to link play. It's a massive part of why we are where we are. It's even more annoying because we've had so many good players like that in recent seasons.

We’ve all become so negative minded, why the desperate need for two holding midfielders?

Under Mac, when we we’re playing some glory football, he said that you need 5 players to essentially defend and 5 to attack.

This has always resonated with me.

Therefore, the only two formations we should consider: 4-1-4-1 or 4-1-3-2

I’d go for:

Goalie,

4 defenders,

Shinnie screening in midfield,

3 attacking midfielders (Roberts - Sibley - Lawrence)

2 strikers (CKR - Gregory)

This might FINALLY give opposing defenders something to worry about.

I’d rather win(lose) 3-2, than trying to eek out a 1-0 loss.

8 minutes ago, Birdyabroad said:

We’ve all become so negative minded, why the desperate need for two holding midfielders?

Under Mac, when we we’re playing some glory football, he said that you need 5 players to essentially defend and 5 to attack.

I’d go for:

Goalie,

4 defenders,

But how do you get the ball from the defense to the attack? We don't have Bryson, Hendrick, Hughes etc. anymore who could do that.

I don't even think we'd score even with all those attackers, our coaching staff don't have the tactical knowledge to utilise them.

58 minutes ago, DCFClks said:

But in our one brief positive spell this season, Clarke & Wisdom were playing quite well together, hasn't Mengi made mistakes as well?

yes Mengi has made mistakes, but he's making less and less every game whereas Wisdom seems to be making more and more

38 minutes ago, Birdyabroad said:

I’d go for:

Goalie,

4 defenders,

doubt it as we will just sit deep, not press, and pass the ball back to our own goalie.

1 hour ago, DCFClks said:

The squad seems to be completely absent of any box-to-box midfielders, our midfielders are mostly incredibly defensive, except Lawrence and Sibley who are attacking, there's no one to link play. It's a massive part of why we are where we are. It's even more annoying because we've had so many good players like that in recent seasons.

I’d say Knight was a box to box midfielder under Cocu. He scored 10 goals last season if I remember rightly. Seems he’s been pushed back into a more defensive role.

Anyone sticking CKR on his own up there, it doesn’t work. 

We simply have no runners in this team - I’ve got to the point whereby it literally doesn’t matter who you put behind him, nobody runs through consistently.

Shinnie and Knight is so poor as a midfield combo it’s not worth it as it’s no goals or assists = not a won game.

Wing backs inevitable becomes a back five for however much we don’t want it to be. Is this the only formation though though where he will play CKR and LG?

50 minutes ago, Ramarena said:

I’d say Knight was a box to box midfielder under Cocu. He scored 10 goals last season if I remember rightly. Seems he’s been pushed back into a more defensive role.

I'd say he's more of an engine, most of his goals were getting on the end of things in the box. He's a great player but he's not the kind of player who can unlock defenses or play through balls, not yet anyway as he's still learning. I'm not sure what position/system he'd be best in at the moment.

1 hour ago, DCFClks said:

I'd say he's more of an engine, most of his goals were getting on the end of things in the box. He's a great player but he's not the kind of player who can unlock defenses or play through balls, not yet anyway as he's still learning. I'm not sure what position/system he'd be best in at the moment.

Ahhhh you’re looking for a traditional cm not a box to box midfielder! 

young William was the last quality CM we had!

9 hours ago, DCFClks said:

Agreed. Think this is the 'problem' with Knight

11 hours ago, Birdyabroad said:

I’d go for:

Goalie,

4 defenders,

Put this man in charge

Ask Knight and Sibley to pick up the ball and move forwards looking to link with Roberts and Lawrence (who would be slightly more advanced) and Gregory. Shinnie to shield back 4 and link with Knight or Sibley as one of said 2 drops deeper to show for the ball, once we move forwards transition into a front 3 almost with Lawrence, Roberts and Gregory. Sure it sounds a little over attack minded but we have to create more, we can't keep playing what looks like a back 6 or 7. Five should suffice.

Screenshot_20210321-115845-804.png

15 hours ago, DCFC1388 said:

Wondering what everyones starting 11 would be for the final 8 games?

On paper todays line up looked good but they simply didnt perform.

Personally I think we have looked pretty solid with a back 3 and we got more points by being more direct. I dont care about the style of performance in these 8 games, we just need the points.

I would go with a 3412, similar to how we came out 2nd half vs Brentford. Go more direct and play off the front 2.

GK - Marshall

CB - Edmundson

CB - Mengi

CB - Clarke

RWB - Byrne

CM - Knight

CM - Shinnie

LWB - Buchanan / Forsyth

CAM - Sibley / Lawrence / Roberts / Watson

ST - CKR

ST - Gregory

Subs - Roos Forsyth Wisdom Bird Watson Lawrence Jozwiak Roberts Waghorn

Depending on the opponent would determine if Buchanan or Forysth start. Player in the CAM role will depend on performances & fitness. Edmundson looked decent when he has played and a threat on set pieces. Feel he was unlucky to be dropped recently and Wisdom has been poor imo.

That for me is a decent 11 and a strong bench, should have more than enough to win a few of the remaining games.

This.

Actually, I'd go with Forsyth and Sibley. Buchanan has faded and Fozzy is a better bet on current form. Sibley needs to play on the edge of their box or not at all. IMO he will produce the goods if given a run. I'd stick with the same 11 for every game unless injury or fatigue forced a change.

3412 plays to our strengths. Our wingers are poor, but we have 3 full/wing backs who consistently provide good crosses. With CKR, Gregory and Sibley trying to get on the end, we might score some goals.

On 20/03/2021 at 21:22, TexasRam said:

4 1 3 2 go for it, scare the opposition to death! Attack, attack, attack 

GK - Marshall

CB - Edmundson

CB - Clarke

RB - Byrne

LB - Forsyth

DM - Shinnie

ARM - Roberts

ACM - Sibley

ALM - Lawrence 

ST - CKR

ST - Gregory

"Attack, attack, attack "   what does this mean?

Archived