F1 2021

Gaspode

1 minute ago, JuanFloEvraTheCocu'sNesta said:

I think Bottas is in a bit of trouble in terms of his Merc seat. Poor start to the season and he doesn't look happy in the car. With Russell breathing down his neck for a drive in the team he needs to be doing much better otherwise Toto will be flicking the safety off and moving towards the trigger.

He's technically pretty good as shown by his qualifying perfomances (normally), but he just doesn't seem to have the mental strength that's needed to be a top competitor.....almost sure he'll be gone next season.

7 hours ago, JoetheRam said:

Well...

Great weekend. Qualifying was fantastic and the race was a classic.

Hamilton's first mistake in about 3 years but he gets a bit of a luck with the Bottas/Russell crash and then fights through the field superbly at a narrow track, puts in fastest lap and maintains a 1 point lead in the Championship. Verstappen was class, barring that slightly sideways moment at the restart. First corner I think both did what they had to do - Hamilton had to show him that he wouldn't yield a corner without contact, for the psychological edge as much as anything and Verstappen got his elbows out just enough.

Norris was excellent all weekend and as a fan of Danny Ricciardo I'm slightly surprised how far behind he was in performance all weekend (no idea how he out-qualified Norris).

Gutted Russell couldn't get points.

Roll on Portimao.

Not sure what race you watched, enjoyable at best, CLASSIC most definitely not!

Good GP weekend. Rain always throws a curve ball as it were. I'd have said eventful rather than classic myself, but certainly entertaining.

Great drives in different ways from all the top three - Verstappen doing what he needs to to be a champ, unforced errors from Hamilton but a stunning pole in qualifying and huge powers of recovery, Norris and McLaren getting enticingly close to interfereing with the front runners. Good drives from both Ferarri drivers - too many unforced errors from Sainz but still brought home p5, Leclerk was perhaps unfortunate with how things played out to not be closer. I think all three of Riciardo Sainz and Perez are showing how tricky it can be to get in a new car vs having had a year on that car as all are good drivers but all seemed to struggle a bit this weekend. I was disappoited with Perez, I've always rated him and wanted to see what he could do in a top car - I think once he gets around the Red Bull's handling he'll be strong - good recovery drive in Bahrain, excellent quallifying then, yeah....least he didn't bin it and DNF I suppose.

Glad the Russell/Bottas crash was demed a racing incident, because that's how I saw it - Russell had a ligitmate attempt at the pass, Bottas isn't obliged to give up his race position without defending it, and Russell just got it a bit wrong and put a tyre on the grass, he certainly wasn't pushed out there, Bottas had left him space enough.

In other news, am I going to stop chucking at Vettel and start feeling sorry for him next race, or the one after? brakes on fire, can't put tyres on the car in time, team clearly giving the best to the bosses son and not their very expensive 4 time world champion.....

10 hours ago, JuanFloEvraTheCocu'sNesta said:

I think Bottas is in a bit of trouble in terms of his Merc seat. Poor start to the season and he doesn't look happy in the car. With Russell breathing down his neck for a drive in the team he needs to be doing much better otherwise Toto will be flicking the safety off and moving towards the trigger.

Albeit from some of the comments afterwards it sounds like Toto was waving the naughty schoolboy finger at Russell, seemed he was defending Bottas in the “I don’t want him to try and prove anything to us because the one thing I can say knowing Valtteri for 5years, he is not trying to prove anything “....  so early days, I don’t think he was that impressed with either to be honest.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/formula1/56809267

8 hours ago, Zag zig said:

Albeit from some of the comments afterwards it sounds like Toto was waving the naughty schoolboy finger at Russell, seemed he was defending Bottas in the “I don’t want him to try and prove anything to us because the one thing I can say knowing Valtteri for 5years, he is not trying to prove anything “....  so early days, I don’t think he was that impressed with either to be honest.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/formula1/56809267

True, but I think that's Toto protecting his driver in public. 

Regardless of who was at fault in the Russell/Bottas incident the fact is whilst Hamilton was challenging the top of the grid Bottas was being overtaken by a Williams in the lower end of the midfield. I'd suspect that's a bigger issue than anything that followed for Toto. 

On 19/04/2021 at 11:46, JuanFloEvraTheCocu'sNesta said:

Not sure George's performance, nor his moment of madness will have moved him closer to a Mercedes seat. His reaction afterwards, even less so.

On 20/04/2021 at 07:50, JuanFloEvraTheCocu'sNesta said:

True, but I think that's Toto protecting his driver in public. 

Don't agree at all. Toto is pretty plain speaking and seeing two Mercedes powered cars careering off the track did not please him one iota. The underlying message to my mind was if you want to drive for Mercedes you need to put the team above your own ambition. For all that Bottas has underperformed to an extent, he's effectively a number 2 driver for all bar a couple of races at the start of each season. Competing against Hamilton in the same car is a thankless task but by and large, Valteri has never rocked the boat and Mercedes have prospered as a consequence. Hugely talented prospect that George is, he needs to take note...

On 22/04/2021 at 17:08, 86 Hair Islands said:

Not sure George's performance, nor his moment of madness will have moved him closer to a Mercedes seat. His reaction afterwards, even less so.

Don't agree at all. Toto is pretty plain speaking and seeing two Mercedes powered cars careering off the track did not please him one iota. The underlying message to my mind was if you want to drive for Mercedes you need to put the team above your own ambition. For all that Bottas has underperformed to an extent, he's effectively a number 2 driver for all bar a couple of races at the start of each season. Competing against Hamilton in the same car is a thankless task but by and large, Valteri has never rocked the boat and Mercedes have prospered as a consequence. Hugely talented prospect that George is, he needs to take note...

I disagree! Any new driver for Mercedes has to stamp his challenge to Hamilton IMMEDIATELY! Coming into a works team, with an ageing driver and accepting a number two role is most definitely not what Mercedes want. What continuity do they have doing that. You are mistaking the complete lack of desire and competitiveness from Bottas as what they want, wrong. They obviously don't want their drivers causing crashes or publicity issues, but to challenge each other, yes, that's what makes them better!

Lewis Hamilton was majestic yesterday in Portugal, showed both Bottas and Verstappen the sign of the 7 times world champion he is, totally dominated the race once he cleared both cars and they had no answer to him. Bottas isn't good enough for that Mercedes car and needs to be replaced next season. Can't wait for Spain next week for the next race but I will say Verstappen is a fantastic driver and I think this championship could go down to the last race. 

3 hours ago, ziggyram59 said:

Lewis Hamilton was majestic yesterday in Portugal, showed both Bottas and Verstappen the sign of the 7 times world champion he is, totally dominated the race once he cleared both cars and they had no answer to him. Bottas isn't good enough for that Mercedes car and needs to be replaced next season. Can't wait for Spain next week for the next race but I will say Verstappen is a fantastic driver and I think this championship could go down to the last race. 

I'm a massive Lewis fan, but Verstappen is good enough to win a championship and has a car good enough to win a championship this year so it is going to be good season hopefully. I laughed out loud when Hamilton just went round the outside of Bottas, there's stamping dominance then there's pulling that kind of move....no need for team orders at Merc.

Good drives from Perez (bit dull but went very long on the mediums), Norris, Ocon, Alonso, Mick Schu (Haas not last!).

Bad drives from Kimi (dur), Sainz (I rate him, but been poor last 2 races).

Vettel gets a gold star for trying hard and finishing ahead of Stroll.

2 hours ago, RadioactiveWaste said:

I'm a massive Lewis fan, but Verstappen is good enough to win a championship and has a car good enough to win a championship this year so it is going to be good season hopefully. I laughed out loud when Hamilton just went round the outside of Bottas, there's stamping dominance then there's pulling that kind of move....no need for team orders at Merc.

Good drives from Perez (bit dull but went very long on the mediums), Norris, Ocon, Alonso, Mick Schu (Haas not last!).

Bad drives from Kimi (dur), Sainz (I rate him, but been poor last 2 races).

Vettel gets a gold star for trying hard and finishing ahead of Stroll.

Good points I agree Verstappen is good enough to be world champion just needs to cut out little mistakes and without a doubt he and Lewis are the best drivers out there. Been impressed with Lando Norris could be a future champion. 

There's no one to touch Hamilton right now and he'll retire before anyone does. I initially thought that Verstappen would run him close but every time Hamilton is threatened, he simply finds another gear. Far from feeling the pressure, the lad absolutely thrives on it and that's a pretty rare thing, even in F1.

Hugely talented as Verstappen is, I think the next most naturally gifted driver on the grid is another Englishman, namely Lando Norris, What he is doing with that McLaren beggars belief and I think he's nailed on to win a WDC once Lewis moves on. If I were Toto, I'd be moving heaven and earth to get him on a pre-contract as he's streets ahead of George Russell.

18 hours ago, 86 Hair Islands said:

There's no one to touch Hamilton right now and he'll retire before anyone does. I initially thought that Verstappen would run him close but every time Hamilton is threatened, he simply finds another gear. Far from feeling the pressure, the lad absolutely thrives on it and that's a pretty rare thing, even in F1.

Hugely talented as Verstappen is, I think the next most naturally gifted driver on the grid is another Englishman, namely Lando Norris, What he is doing with that McLaren beggars belief and I think he's nailed on to win a WDC once Lewis moves on. If I were Toto, I'd be moving heaven and earth to get him on a pre-contract as he's streets ahead of George Russell.

You are so right been really impressed with Lando. It's fantastic to see another talented Brit on the grid. 

3 hours ago, ziggyram59 said:

You are so right been really impressed with Lando. It's fantastic to see another talented Brit on the grid. 

Absolutely! A lot of folk thought Danny Ricciardo would give Lando plenty to think about, but Ricciardo seems to have jumped out of the frying pan and into the fire.  He's certainly getting absolutely roasted by Lando, who seems to have the same freakish ability that we see from Hamilton, that is the ability to drive right on the ragged edge over a sustained period of time without errors. It's such a rare skill-set, even at the elite level at which these guys ply their trade.

Have to say, I'm also loving seeing the McLaren team car looking properly racy again! 

10 minutes ago, 86 Hair Islands said:

Absolutely! A lot of folk thought Danny Ricciardo would give Lando plenty to think about, but Ricciardo seems to have jumped out of the frying pan and into the fire.  He's certainly getting absolutely roasted by Lando, who seems to have the same freakish ability that we see from Hamilton, that is the ability to drive right on the ragged edge over a sustained period of time without errors. It's such a rare skill-set, even at the elite level at which these guys ply their trade.

Have to say, I'm also loving seeing the McLaren team car looking properly racy again! 

Yes me to, must admit when Lando went to McLaren didn't expect much from him but his been brilliant last season and start of this year, hope it continues.