A helicopter on Mars!

Carl Sagan

5 hours ago, David said:

When you say hunt for life on Mars, we talking plants or aliens here? 

You see, I’m a bit worried, last thing we need is to start triggering some inter galactic war with aliens by alerting them to our presence over here. 

What with Covid and everything, imagine if we end up infecting those on Mars but rather than put them in hospital, the virus mutates in such a way that gives them more strength and power to come over here and abduct our dogs and cats for food. 

Enough go missing with the local Chinese restaurant as it is without losing more to some goggly eyes super strength alien.

Is your surname Icke? ?

8 minutes ago, Eddie said:

Come the 'Ack' invasion, I guess that UPS, DPD and Parcelforce will be wiped out, and only Yodel will survive.

Rampage has landed on Mars. A small step for a Rams fan, a giant leap for Interplanetary football. Jumpers going down for goalposts. Rams shirt on. Shirt sponsored by Mars Rover Windscreens. COYR

1 hour ago, DarkFruitsRam7 said:

Here’s something I’ve never thought about before.

What about the offspring of the first colonisers? They’re not going to be amazed about the fact that they’re living on Mars, as it will be all they’ve ever known. Surely they’ll be pissed off once they see the quality of life Earth has, and all that they’re missing out on?

It's a classic question of space ethics. A more extreme case are the generational "Worldships" that people propose, aimed at setting off to the nearest starts. The distances are so vast that the journey would take thousands of years, meaning many generations of Humans would live and die during the journey. In a way Mars is less extreme because there might be a way to bring Martian-born Humans back to Earth if they wish.

There are conventional arguments back and forth. My own answer is that the future doesn't happen in isolation, and we are progressing all the time. @Davidalluded to it with his comment about living forever. It is likely we will significantly extend the lifespans of biological Humans and this might allow future Human Martians to only be responsible for their own choices. And if we can upload Human consciousness then for the long-duration flights it would be straightforward to either be aware for the thousands of years of the voyage or revived on approach without involving other Human consciousnesses. 

But that's speculative and "do people have the right" to move planets and bring up children elsewhere when they don't have any say? However, why is that any different from the parents (as mine) who might move from Derby to Nottingham to bring their young boy up there in the shadow of the Sh*tty Ground?

4 hours ago, Carl Sagan said:

For the first hundred/thousand/more years it means living indoors, some of it underground. Not for the faint hearted. The advantage of Mars is there's a lot of space (as much land as on Earth) and resources so Human civilization is sustainable there, even if hard. There's plenty of water.

The long-term goal is terraforming, to create sufficient atmosphere to be able to go outside and one day even breathe it. Part of me thinks we should do this before Humans go to live there, as then it's less risky. We'd want to heat up the poles but really we should sling as many asteroids and comets as possible at Mars to supply some of the other chemicals it needs. 

I think about going, but I would miss weather. Feeling the breeze on your face and the Sun on your skin. But what an adventure! However, after living in one-third gravity it would be tricky physically to ever return to Earth. 

Settlers could live in lava tubes on Mars. I was in a lava tube on Lanzarote a couple of years ago. Beautiful pool and bar, it was fantastic.

11 minutes ago, Carl Sagan said:

It's a classic question of space ethics. A more extreme case are the generational "Worldships" that people propose, aimed at setting off to the nearest starts. The distances are so vast that the journey would take thousands of years, meaning many generations of Humans would live and die during the journey. In a way Mars is less extreme because there might be a way to bring Martian-born Humans back to Earth if they wish.

There are conventional arguments back and forth. My own answer is that the future doesn't happen in isolation, and we are progressing all the time. @Davidalluded to it with his comment about living forever. It is likely we will significantly extend the lifespans of biological Humans and this might allow future Human Martians to only be responsible for their own choices. And if we can upload Human consciousness then for the long-duration flights it would be straightforward to either be aware for the thousands of years of the voyage or revived on approach without involving other Human consciousnesses. 

But that's speculative and "do people have the right" to move planets and bring up children elsewhere when they don't have any say? However, why is that any different from the parents (as mine) who might move from Derby to Nottingham to bring their young boy up there in the shadow of the Sh*tty Ground?

We are now working on a new engine that could get to Mars in three months. It will take a while to develop.

33 minutes ago, Carl Sagan said:

How is it different to early pioneers heading west in America? Did their kids grow up resenting the fact they weren’t living large in New York?

or, to put it another way, there may be many people scratching a fairly shitty life on earth, in third world countries, or impoverished communities in the first world, who would happily go live a self sufficient farming life on Mars. That’ll almost certainly be provided for in every possible way, with the best tech, probably including future tech car or holographic experiences of home, regular supplies delivered, free access to every form of media they could possibly consume, they just need to make sure the hydroponics bay is ticking over on a day to day basis. 

sounds quite idillic actually. I might sign up. 

These images are just the initial instant transmissions over the oh-so-slow interplanetary Internet. Perseverance has some great cameras and lovely high-res colour pics will come soon. Its sister rover Curiosity has decent cameras so sends back myriad pictures like this:

spacer.png

Just now, Norman said:

Fake? Seen a video saying that this is a lot of different images put together. With no sound, obviously. 

Oh is it, gutted ?