Mel Morris against all odds

dcfcreece1601

2 hours ago, SKRam said:

Phil Collins Episode 481 GIF by Soul Train
You said ‘Against All Odds’ that’s all I can think of. In Phil we trust....this one not that one 

Did you know it’s his birthday today? Scarily  he’s 70.... seems only a couple of years since I saw Genesis at the NEC in 1981 or 82.....I think I may be getting old...

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, 86 Hair Islands said:

I can't help but wonder whether all that's gone on recently might actually play into our hands in the longer term. Could the revival under the plain-speaking, no-nonsense Rooney, breathe life back into Mel's love affair with the club?

Wazza didn't come into the manager's role with the same sort of fanfare as Lampard, Cocu or even Clement, indeed he seems to have ended up in the job almost by default. Could it be now that Mel, akin to doubters like myself, has warmed to Wazza and might now perhaps be thinking, 'Ah, duck it, I'll stick a few more million in. We're doing OK right now, and I can't take it all with me'.

I actually think they could be a bit of a dream team, to be honest. Very different characters but they could well prove complementary. Perhaps he should be, but Mel does not seem as dazzled by Wazza's star as he has been with other appointments and if so, it might be something of a blessing. Perhaps it's just me seeing what I want to see again, but before the Bielik injury and again after a 20 minute sulk, I really enjoyed watching us today. Maybe, just maybe, Mel did too?

In placing his trust in Rooney, perhaps he'll end up stumbling on the magic recipe that's eluded him up to now and in doing so, regain the respect and trust of the fans. Giving Wayne some cash to spend, with everything that's going on in the background, does speak to a growing sense of belief that actually, and despite how it came about, Wazza just might be the perfect manager for the club right now. 

Pretty much my view and put better than I could have put it, 86 H I. Excellent post and very likely to be a very accurate summary.

Sorry but we have no idea yet how or where the December or January funds have come from?

Have we taken another loan? Maybe the Prem League loan of just over £8 million?

Maybe Mel has put money in or maybe he’s out money in against imminent player sales?

Sorry but it’s a little premature to start lauding him until we have a better idea of what is going on.

2 hours ago, Carnero said:

I love Mel as much as the next man but so far all I can see is that we've sold Holmes, accepted bids on Evans & Whittaker, likely selling Gordon, have left Marriott on loan at Sheff Weds and signed nobody ?

Tomorrow is another day and after this window we can still sign free agents.

2 minutes ago, rammieib said:

Sorry but we have no idea yet how or where the December or January funds have come from?

Have we taken another loan? Maybe the Prem League loan of just over £8 million?

Maybe Mel has put money in or maybe he’s out money in against imminent player sales?

Sorry but it’s a little premature to start lauding him until we have a better idea of what is going on.

Rooney literally said Morris has given him the green light to sign several players , doesn't matter how he got the money he is still willing to spend it , come on now ?

1 hour ago, Gaspode said:

Did you know it’s his birthday today? Scarily  he’s 70.... seems only a couple of years since I saw Genesis at the NEC in 1981 or 82.....I think I may be getting old...

That’s a little spooky.....I saw them at Roundhey Park Leeds though they were so far away could have been any duckers playing some recordings very loud. Genesis though ??

4 hours ago, RamNut said:

Any signings will be funded by departures imo

848E8AB2-B8FB-4AE5-9CD2-840561728A2C.thumb.jpeg.ce49a722506952e6d46f6d51ad1a6618.jpeg

Sounds right but MM still has to fund the ongoing losses. I don’t think the club itself can raise funds for this because it’s in hock to Dell (isn’t that loan still in place?) So the cash that just came in to fund Dec and Jan wages will have been borrowed (or guaranteed) by MM I reckon

In my view what happened is once the contract is signed then Mel can’t put money into the club. He would pretty much be just giving money to the Saudis. He’s getting nothing back for the money that he would have put in.

So the club could have only raised funds via selling players or waiting for the Saudis. 

The club ended up waiting for too long, hoping the funds would turn up and when they never did, had to tear up the contract and start again. At that point Mel had either had to invest again or borrow money to get the club through. All that done we are back to square one. Mel owns the club and we are back to looking for a buyer.

I understand that people can judge that Mel had messed up the club, but I don’t. I think he put a lot of money in, tried really hard to make it work and eventually decided enough is enough and had to try and sell the club in the middle of a global pandemic. Sadly without success.

Now he’s probably facing a  serious decline in money, fighting poor health and had the stress of dealing with a money hungry football team. I don’t envy him at all. Really hope he’s ok and still had the love of the rams that the rest of us have.

6 hours ago, dcfcreece1601 said:

Thought he deserved a bit of recognition today , he's found a way again in dark times to give yet another manager funds to work with,  after all the finance issues currently going on , he's rolling the dice again, we all know there's been some potentially dodgy dealing over the last few years , but he's consistently backed managers and genuinely wants what is best for the club , a few weeks ago I was part of the group that thought it was best to get rid after hearing about shiny rich money coming in , then it dragged on and fell though and suddenly its better the devil you know than the one you don't and now it looks like Mel is still the best option , hopefully rooney doesn't waste the backing he given and signs some decent players,  then who knows what's on the horizon? COYR ? ? ? ?

Morris won't be funding anyone, his philanthropy has ended. The sales of players will be funding new players incoming however - big difference. 

From the transfers rumours as long as we replace Whittaker and Evans with better players then I'll be satisfied. With our record in the transfer market over the past few seasons then the jury's out for me still. 

37 minutes ago, Malty said:

In my view what happened is once the contract is signed then Mel can’t put money into the club. He would pretty much be just giving money to the Saudis. He’s getting nothing back for the money that he would have put in.

So the club could have only raised funds via selling players or waiting for the Saudis. 

The club ended up waiting for too long, hoping the funds would turn up and when they never did, had to tear up the contract and start again. At that point Mel had either had to invest again or borrow money to get the club through. All that done we are back to square one. Mel owns the club and we are back to looking for a buyer.

I understand that people can judge that Mel had messed up the club, but I don’t. I think he put a lot of money in, tried really hard to make it work and eventually decided enough is enough and had to try and sell the club in the middle of a global pandemic. Sadly without success.

Now he’s probably facing a  serious decline in money, fighting poor health and had the stress of dealing with a money hungry football team. I don’t envy him at all. Really hope he’s ok and still had the love of the rams that the rest of us have.

Wrong country. UAE not Saudi Arabia. 

4 hours ago, Malty said:

Didn’t realise they changed nationalities overnight. 

Come on Mel don't give up now, you rolled the dice to try and get to the promised land of the premier league, it didn't work the reasons have been discussed, but imo you deserve to see the fruits of your labour that is the young lads that you have helped us nurture through your investment in the academy, finish what you started Mel. 

8 hours ago, Tyler Durden said:

Morris won't be funding anyone, his philanthropy has ended. The sales of players will be funding new players incoming however - big difference. 

From the transfers rumours as long as we replace Whittaker and Evans with better players then I'll be satisfied. With our record in the transfer market over the past few seasons then the jury's out for me still. 

Except that maybe he never intended to be a philanthropist.. he funds the academy so that he can sell its “crops” if needed. Mel invested in the academy, that investment has shown a profit which is being used to keep the club going while other income has been reduced. 

of course outs will be funding ins .. it’s called business .. take raw material in, process it, sell it on as a better product, make a profit to continue your activities 

Just now, jono said:

Except that maybe he never intended to be a philanthropist.. he funds the academy so that he can sell its “crops” if needed. Mel invested in the academy, that investment has shown a profit which is being used to keep the club going while other income has been reduced. 

of course outs will be funding ins .. it’s called business .. take raw material in, process it, sell it on as a better product, make a profit to continue your activities 

I disagree with this as much as acquisitions such as Johnson, Butterfield etc were not made organically. 

2 minutes ago, Tyler Durden said:

I disagree with this as much as acquisitions such as Johnson, Butterfield etc were not made organically. 

I don’t see why 

objective 1 .. get to premier league and make a big return .. Invest in off the shelf products - but bad choices made, price too high. Excuses .. injury to key players, panic buying, supporting new manager ... Didn’t go well product did not live up to expectations.. lost money 

objective 2 stay in business .. academy wing growing talent for internal use or resale. Worked well, returns being made but scale is relatively small given losses elsewhere caused by Covid and wage structure. 

8 hours ago, Tyler Durden said:

As you suggest, incoming players in the transfer window will likely be funded by outgoings. 
but isn’t Mel ALSO finding ongoing losses (Jan/Feb wages)?

1 minute ago, kevinhectoring said:

As you suggest, incoming players in the transfer window will likely be funded by outgoings. 
but isn’t Mel ALSO finding ongoing losses (Jan/Feb wages)?

I was trying to differentiate between covering basic running costs on a base level and the acquisition of new players with additional capital on a higher echelon.

Archived