Nathan Byrne

Ramarena

Buchanan had a great game today and rightly earning plaudits for it.

But I wanted to mention Byrne who also had a good game and has been arguably one of the most consistent performers this season.

Does well in defence and attack equally and has a great engine on him. Have to say he’s been an absolute bargain!

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It will be surprising a few people around the country that we sold a left back and a right back for a combined £8.1 million to a premiership club and loaned out a £3 million left back signing and we are looking so very decent at left back and right back with their replacements ( not to mention Forsyth who never lets us down) 

Yes Byrne has been a bargain buy, for me better at the moment than Bogle, not to say Bogle will not improve, but Bryne is deffo a better defender than Bogle at the mo, and also puts a better ball into the box than Bogle. 

Bryne also is a player who gives his all every game, think our defence at the mo is looking very good, is it 7 clean sheets in 10, all great managers like Brian Clough and Alex Ferguson always built from the back, Mr Rooney is doing the same, we defend from the front as well now. 

1 hour ago, Ramarena said:

Buchanan had a great game today and rightly earning plaudits for it.

But I wanted to mention Byrne who also had a good game and has been arguably one of the most consistent performers this season.

Does well in defence and attack equally and has a great engine on him. Have to say he’s been an absolute bargain!

My MOM today. He was superb that first 20 mins & provided real quality. Thereafter, a real solid defensive display against Chair & Hämäläinen (copied his name from the BBC site ?), particularly last 30 mins.

I liked Bogle a lot but I'd pick Byrne if I had both available to me. Great energy, good delivery, solid defensively & a great attitude also. Fantastic signing.

7 minutes ago, LeedsCityRam said:

My MOM today. He was superb that first 20 mins & provided real quality. Thereafter, a real solid defensive display against Chair & Hämäläinen (copied his name from the BBC site ?), particularly last 30 mins.

I liked Bogle a lot but I'd pick Byrne if I had both available to me. Great energy, good delivery, solid defensively & a great attitude also. Fantastic signing.

I think when Bogle was on form he was probably better but Byrne is a lot more consistent.

Definitely a bargain at the price we paid for him, but I do feel he’s slightly overrated by sections of our fan base, especially when compared to Bogle. I mean, don’t get me wrong, he’s ok, but I don’t think he’s anything more than an average Championship right back. He’s obviously strong going forward - he carries the ball down the line very well, and is probably one of our more creative players when he reaches the final third. But he does still have defensive vulnerabilities imo - he clearly struggles when balls are played over his head down the line, understandable given his height. Think he could also be stronger in the challenge sometimes as well.

Do agree he had a very good game today though. He was one of our busiest players and dealt with most things very well, and he was probably our biggest attacking threat with some of his crosses too.

34 minutes ago, brady1993 said:

I think when Bogle was on form he was probably better but Byrne is a lot more consistent.

Yeah, Bogle better in the final 3rd when on form..his finishing & quality in the final 3rd at times was excellent for a right back. Byrne is no slouch though & like you say, much more consistent both going forward & defensively (hence why I'd pick him)

I'd take Byrne over Bogle all day long ....I used to pick out Bogles defensive lapses and he had quite a few ....Byrne is good defensively and a great outlet going forward....only have to look at wembley against Villa to see how Bogle used to daydream when ball was played to the backpost...no comparison....I even think Bogle is maybe not even a RB as his defensive awareness is poor ....I can still remember Charlton away where he got a rollocking from Davies I think it was right in front of where i was sitting because he cost us the first goal....Its only my opinion but I don't think Bogle will go much higher than Sheff Utd soon to be championship team again 

This is going to sound weird but stay with me. . . 

Byrne reminds me of a typical “90’s” footballer 

knows his job, does the basics well, keeps it simple and nothing flashy, fitness and stamina all there and just gets on with it no matter the circumstances. 

I could happily picture him in a Jim Smith side

28 minutes ago, LeedsCityRam said:

Yeah, Bogle better in the final 3rd when on form..his finishing & quality in the final 3rd at times was excellent for a right back. Byrne is no slouch though & like you say, much more consistent both going forward & defensively (hence why I'd pick him)

A few weeks ago I would have agreed about Bogle being better in the final 3rd, but although Byrne hasn't been scoring, I reckon the fact that he is know crossing the ball earlier than he used to, he edges it for me. 

The big difference is that Byrne is 28, bogle is 20

age 20 Byrne was playing for Crawley and Swindon. He had about 30 appearances. 
aged 19 bogle had already played 75 games for us.

Bogle is about potential. Byrne is at his peak. 
Bogle could have played for us for another 12 years. He could have played more games than Ron Webster.

that’s what we lost when we sold him. 

35 minutes ago, ossieram said:

A few weeks ago I would have agreed about Bogle being better in the final 3rd, but although Byrne hasn't been scoring, I reckon the fact that he is know crossing the ball earlier than he used to, he edges it for me. 

Agree his delivery from wide has definitely improved. He was basically a bloody good right winger that first 20 today.

He's getting a few chances himself in the final 3rd too because of how we set up...think he's capable of kicking on there too.

1 hour ago, RamNut said:

The big difference is that Byrne is 28, bogle is 20

age 20 Byrne was playing for Crawley and Swindon. He had about 30 appearances. 
aged 19 bogle had already played 75 games for us.

Bogle is about potential. Byrne is at his peak. 
Bogle could have played for us for another 12 years. He could have played more games than Ron Webster.

that’s what we lost when we sold him. 

Has bogle already hit his peak? Time will tell.  Sometimes you have to cash in and take the risk it is too early

Archived