Rooney: the epitome of a manager?

RoyMac5

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

He has already done a great job..it would have taken a good while to get the negative Cocu mentality and style out of the players heads whilst introducing his own ideas and tactics..so far he is doing a sterling job at getting smiles back on the fans faces. 

Can't deny he's done a good job to date but the uptick in form has also come at the same time as McClaren returning, Bielik finding real form, and CKR being able to play the majority of 90 mins. No denying he deserves the job permanently, but it's not just him.

One thing that wrankles with me, and probably because I was a Cocu sympathiser, is how poorly he (as Captain) and the rest of the team were playing under Cocu. We seem to have forgot he was a major part of the original problem because we've won 2 and drawn 4 since he was put in charge. Yes the team may have been given too much to think about, but as a top top pro I'd have expected him to be the first one (as Davis seemed to be) to put 110% in. He didnt do that from what I saw. He said when we first signed him, after all, that working with Cocu was a huge reason behind him coming to Derby. This seemingly two faced behaviour worries me, although I understand the above is somewhat conspiracy and subjective.

I need Rooney to earn my trust before I'm going to get too happy clappy about him. Not quite how sure how he'll do that, but turning Man Utd after he gets us promoted would help make him the epitome of a manager.

4 hours ago, San Fran Van Rams said:

One thing that wrankles with me, and probably because I was a Cocu sympathiser, is how poorly he (as Captain) and the rest of the team were playing under Cocu.

We seem to have forgot he was a major part of the original problem because we've won 2 and drawn 4 since he was put in charge. Yes the team may have been given too much to think about, but as a top top pro I'd have expected him to be the first one (as Davis seemed to be) to put 110% in. He didnt do that from what I saw.

He said when we first signed him, after all, that working with Cocu was a huge reason behind him coming to Derby. This seemingly two faced behaviour worries me, although I understand the above is somewhat conspiracy and subjective.

So Rooney isn't human like the other players then? When he first arrived we saw what a difference he could make. Why didn't it last? All down to a conspiracy or more likely that Cocu's style of play and management wasn't working for the team? Why is that too obvious to be the answer?

8 hours ago, Millenniumram said:

Get us scoring goals consistently for a start. It’s no good sticking 4 past Birmingham if you then go on to fire blanks against Sheffield Wednesday. If we’re going to get out of this mess, we’ve got to be a consistent attacking threat. That’s Rooney’s next test, and arguably his biggest challenge imo. This is not a job for the feint hearted, but Wayne has made a decent start. He knows there’s still a lot to be done though, I’m sure.

My wife was feint hearted. 

5 hours ago, San Fran Van Rams said:

Can't deny he's done a good job to date but the uptick in form has also come at the same time as McClaren returning, Bielik finding real form, and CKR being able to play the majority of 90 mins. No denying he deserves the job permanently, but it's not just him.

One thing that wrankles with me, and probably because I was a Cocu sympathiser, is how poorly he (as Captain) and the rest of the team were playing under Cocu. We seem to have forgot he was a major part of the original problem because we've won 2 and drawn 4 since he was put in charge. Yes the team may have been given too much to think about, but as a top top pro I'd have expected him to be the first one (as Davis seemed to be) to put 110% in. He didnt do that from what I saw. He said when we first signed him, after all, that working with Cocu was a huge reason behind him coming to Derby. This seemingly two faced behaviour worries me, although I understand the above is somewhat conspiracy and subjective.

I need Rooney to earn my trust before I'm going to get too happy clappy about him. Not quite how sure how he'll do that, but turning Man Utd after he gets us promoted would help make him the epitome of a manager.

Cocu sympathisers need to concede that those of us who complained about the teams playing style and the results/performances this season were essentially correct. By the end Cocu could not see the wood for the trees, to judge from his team selections and his random changes in formation. One of those blind spots was to play Rooney whenever possible. Rooney was giving the ball away too much  in midfield at the end of last season. If Rooney put himself back in the team now our performances would suffer. No criticism of Rooney for the deterioration in his play with age and it would be naive not to recognise that he might have found it hard to motivate himself. Calling Rooney's behaviour 'two-faced' is an unjustified slur.

I was critical of Rooney and didn't want him as manager and have elsewhere admitted that my views were ignorant.

The step up in performances has been helped by the return of Bielik, but the improvement would not have happened without Rooneys change in our playing style and his courageous team selections and substitutions. At the moment the improvement is similar to when MacClaren first arrived and took over Clough's team. Will it continue ..... who knows.

On 29/12/2020 at 19:54, RoyMac5 said:

Is he already showing signs of being a very good manager?

To make such a big difference in so short a time.

If we do not sign him up then there will be other teams queuing up to sign him.

As pleased as I am with our increased performance I think it’s a little early to really know how he will pan out in the longer term.

the early signs have been positive so it’s a good start but a degree of caution should still be applied.

4 minutes ago, kash_a_ram_a_ding_dong said:

As pleased as I am with our increased performance I think it’s a little early to really know how he will pan out in the longer term.

the early signs have been positive so it’s a good start but a degree of caution should still be applied.

Fortune favours the brave! ? #COYR

10 hours ago, RoyMac5 said:

So Rooney isn't human like the other players then? When he first arrived we saw what a difference he could make. Why didn't it last? All down to a conspiracy or more likely that Cocu's style of play and management wasn't working for the team? Why is that too obvious to be the answer?

Of course he's human but he was also the captain and mainstay in the side who has played at the very highest levels. He's not like other players, doesn't get paid like other players and managed to get himself into pole position to take the Derby managers job when the time arose. For me that smells of something, and as I've said, it'll take some time to repair that. 

I'm not saying I'd prefer someone else in charge at the moment but it'll take more than two wins for me to call him the epitome of a manager. 

8 hours ago, DRBee said:

Cocu sympathisers need to concede that those of us who complained about the teams playing style and the results/performances this season were essentially correct. By the end Cocu could not see the wood for the trees, to judge from his team selections and his random changes in formation. One of those blind spots was to play Rooney whenever possible. Rooney was giving the ball away too much  in midfield at the end of last season. If Rooney put himself back in the team now our performances would suffer. No criticism of Rooney for the deterioration in his play with age and it would be naive not to recognise that he might have found it hard to motivate himself. Calling Rooney's behaviour 'two-faced' is an unjustified slur.

I was critical of Rooney and didn't want him as manager and have elsewhere admitted that my views were ignorant.

The step up in performances has been helped by the return of Bielik, but the improvement would not have happened without Rooneys change in our playing style and his courageous team selections and substitutions. At the moment the improvement is similar to when MacClaren first arrived and took over Clough's team. Will it continue ..... who knows.

I agree the team were playing badly but I also don't think it's right to put that all down to Cocu. As you say later in your post there have been a number of factors that have contributed to the uptick since then, on top of a new manager and change in style.

You also call out the blind spot in playing Rooney. While none of us know what was in his contract, I'd assume 32 Red would not be contributing any wages while he's on the bench or out the match day squad. I'd also assume that they continue to supplement wages when he's on the touchline as manager as we're now Rooney's Derby County in the eyes of the media etc. 

Any player who struggles to motivate themselves while still being paid for doing the job they love, while captaining a side full of promising youngsters can't be admonished of all responsibility.

As I've said in other posts, I wouldn't want anyone else in charge, but don't think I'll forget what happened before quickly.

5 minutes ago, San Fran Van Rams said:

Any player who struggles to motivate themselves while still being paid for doing the job they love, while captaining a side full of promising youngsters can't be admonished of all responsibility.

While I disagree with your apportioning - Cocu was the manager, he called the tune - why did things look better when he first played, and still how much difference can one player at the end of an illustrious career have? 

2 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

While I disagree with your apportioning - Cocu was the manager, he called the tune - why did things look better when he first played, and still how much difference can one player at the end of an illustrious career have? 

As you say, he had a big impact when he first came in but that level of performance seemingly disappeared. Why can't I expect the captain and most experienced player in the squad to perform at levels he was 9 months prior, or at the very least be busting a gut for his manager? 

Archived