Marmite Managers

ziggyram59

Who would be your marmite managers? Mine would be Gary Rowett didn't like his style of football and hated the way he treated the club with contempt towards the Stoke job. Mind you as far as contempt is concerned towards the managers job at Derby Lampard and McClaren fall into that category as well. 

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply
34 minutes ago, Tyler Durden said:

Why did Lampard and McClaren show contempt towards the club?

Anyhows Billy Davies and Cocu. 

Because with McClaren when the Newcastle job came up mid season and he was asked the question about Newcastle he would avoid an answer so we were never sure whether he would be our manager the following season which he wasn't as he left Derby as soon as the season was over to go to Newcastle. As far as Lampard was concerned he knew around the play off final he was off to Chelsea and should off said after the final he was leaving but he let it drag on and on. 

3 minutes ago, ziggyram59 said:

Because with McClaren when the Newcastle job came up mid season and he was asked the question about Newcastle he would avoid an answer so we were never sure whether he would be our manager the following season which he wasn't as he left Derby as soon as the season was over to go to Newcastle. As far as Lampard was concerned he knew around the play off final he was off to Chelsea and should off said after the final he was leaving but he let it drag on and on. 

Not sure if either showed contempt which is a very emotive word.

People leave jobs for larger or better paid roles all the time. Of course if you part on bad terms then forget about going back to your original employer which makes the reappointment of McClaren even more bizarre. 

Look, Lamps went to his dream job. It was Abramovic who let it drag out. He was pissy over the fact we'd had two quality loans from Chelski but stood our ground on Frank's compo deal. As for Frank, I was annoyed, sure, but we'd all do the same, or most of us at least.

As for Mac, this has been done to bloody death. If you really want to believe he never made a clear rand unequivocal statement about the Newcastle job, so be it, but it's out there in the public domain so you'll just end up looking daft.

3 minutes ago, 86 Schmokes & a Pancake said:

Look, Lamps went to his dream job. It was Abramovic who let it drag out. He was pissy over the fact we'd had two quality loans from Chelski but stood our ground on Frank's compo deal. As for Frank, I was annoyed, sure, but we'd all do the same, or most of us at least.

As for Mac, this has been done to bloody death. If you really want to believe he never made a clear rand unequivocal statement about the Newcastle job, so be it, but it's out there in the public domain so you'll just end up looking daft.

That's my opinion you have yours so we will beg to differ. 

3 minutes ago, ziggyram59 said:

That's my opinion you have yours so we will beg to differ. 

I can see why you come to that conclusion and don't think you look daft by saying it. SM was one of my favourite managers and like all others I have no problem with anyone leaving for better opportunities, I do believe though despite what he said that he wanted the Newcastle job.

I don't think though that was the reason for our demise that season though, he just didn't cope with the loss of key players and it highlighted his failings as a manager. 

Also have no problem with the way Rowett "treated" the club, hated his football and was pleased to see him leave, but his vision was different to the clubs, fair enough.

3 minutes ago, BIllyD said:

I can see why you come to that conclusion and don't think you look daft by saying it. SM was one of my favourite managers and like all others I have no problem with anyone leaving for better opportunities, I do believe though despite what he said that he wanted the Newcastle job.

I don't think though that was the reason for our demise that season though, he just didn't cope with the loss of key players and it highlighted his failings as a manager. 

Also have no problem with the way Rowett "treated" the club, hated his football and was pleased to see him leave, but his vision was different to the clubs, fair enough.

Rowett did one because his fam, including his kids, were getting dog's abuse from some so-called Derby fans. Again, this is in the public domain. He took us to the play offs and we got a fat compo payment so not too much for us to worry about since most fans wrongly thought he was garbage anyway.

30 minutes ago, ziggyram59 said:

Because with McClaren when the Newcastle job came up mid season and he was asked the question about Newcastle he would avoid an answer so we were never sure whether he would be our manager the following season which he wasn't as he left Derby as soon as the season was over to go to Newcastle.

First of all he was sacked. Which happened on 25th May, Newcastle hired him on 10th June, our last game was 2nd May. 

Also;

On 24/11/2020 at 16:25, rynny said:

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/steve-mcclaren-blasts-newcastle-link-5571513.amp

A selection of the quotes;

Asked if he intended to still be in charge at the iPro Stadium at the start of the 2015/16 campaign, the 53-year-old said: "I am contracted to Derby County, so yes. I have got a contract here for the next two years after this and I hope to honour that contract. 

"But this is newspapers and this is what they do, they speculate. At the present moment Newcastle doesn't interest me, I am not thinking about that. I am thinking solely of Derby."

What more did you want him to say? 

5 minutes ago, 86 Schmokes & a Pancake said:

Rowett did one because his fam, including his kids, were getting dog's abuse from some so-called Derby fans. Again, this is in the public domain. He took us to the play offs and we got a fat compo payment so not too much for us to worry about since most fans wrongly thought he was garbage anyway.

Not everything is in the public domain and the official line does not always tell the full story. 

I thought from the definition of 'marmite' in the player thread, it was people you liked/disliked but that your feeling went against popular opinion. We seem to have diverged from that in both threads.

Anyhow, my marmite selection on managers...

Dave Mackay - no one could step into Cloughie's position. Years later, in hindsight, I was unfair to him. I regret never having had the opportunity to apologize. I hope it didn't affect him too much.

Tommy Docherty - at first, I was excited because of the young team he had assembled at Manure. That excitement soon vanished and I harbour a grudge against him to this day.

Jim Smith - I was underwhelmed by his appointment (despite what I said at the top of this post, I think most folks were). How wrong was I?

Billy Davies - horrible man, horrible style of football. Yet some on here still revere him, well one person does. Weird.

Nigel Clough - maybe sentiment but also appreciation of the sort out that he did. I believe he should have been given longer and a bigger budget. Others disagree, possibly because McClaren came in and got the team playing with much more flair.

Gary Rowett - pleased to have an ex-Ram in charge but I didn't like the dour football at all, which seemed to go against those who think "results are all that matters".

Frank Lampard - I was excited from the start because I didn't want yet another journeyman, old school manager (Allardyce, Pullis, Pardew etc) but many seemed to worry about his lack of experience. (Suddenly having a case of deja vu).

Philip Cocu - everyone welcomed him and gave him a chance. That support dwindled until there was just a handful of us. I do not want to reopen wounds but I still think if....nah, let's not start an argument again.

Wayne Rooney - I was against him originally but I changed my mind BEFORE the Milwall game (others seemed to come on board after that and after Brentford). I didn't like how it came into being (see Cocu), the fact that it was more about Rooney than DCFC (probably journos fault), indeed I still do not like the media circus.....but I like the way he has done and said things since (harsh with Whittaker but understandable).

So, I do seem to swim against the tide.

28 minutes ago, IslandExile said:

I thought from the definition of 'marmite' in the player thread, it was people you liked/disliked but that your feeling went against popular opinion. We seem to have diverged from that in both threads.

Anyhow, my marmite selection on managers...

Dave Mackay - no one could step into Cloughie's position. Years later, in hindsight, I was unfair to him. I regret never having had the opportunity to apologize. I hope it didn't affect him too much.

Tommy Docherty - at first, I was excited because of the young team he had assembled at Manure. That excitement soon vanished and I harbour a grudge against him to this day.

Jim Smith - I was underwhelmed by his appointment (despite what I said at the top of this post, I think most folks were). How wrong was I?

Billy Davies - horrible man, horrible style of football. Yet some on here still revere him, well one person does. Weird.

Nigel Clough - maybe sentiment but also appreciation of the sort out that he did. I believe he should have been given longer and a bigger budget. Others disagree, possibly because McClaren came in and got the team playing with much more flair.

Gary Rowett - pleased to have an ex-Ram in charge but I didn't like the dour football at all, which seemed to go against those who think "results are all that matters".

Frank Lampard - I was excited from the start because I didn't want yet another journeyman, old school manager (Allardyce, Pullis, Pardew etc) but many seemed to worry about his lack of experience. (Suddenly having a case of deja vu).

Philip Cocu - everyone welcomed him and gave him a chance. That support dwindled until there was just a handful of us. I do not want to reopen wounds but I still think if....nah, let's not start an argument again.

Wayne Rooney - I was against him originally but I changed my mind BEFORE the Milwall game (others seemed to come on board after that and after Brentford). I didn't like how it came into being (see Cocu), the fact that it was more about Rooney than DCFC (probably journos fault), indeed I still do not like the media circus.....but I like the way he has done and said things since (harsh with Whittaker but understandable).

So, I do seem to swim against the tide.

IslandExile you are so right and apologies for that my favourite managers without a doubt are Arthur Cox and Jim Smith the entertainment and football value and principles they brought to the club were fantastic 2 amazing managers. Obviously Brian Clough and Dave Mackay 2 other candidates but could never forgive Cloughie going to Nottingham Forest hated the success they had. 

I would say every manager we ever had would fall into this category, some fans like them some hate them....

It’s a weird position. Stevie Mac said It (I think) that It is the only job that you take and know from the day you take It that one say you will be fired. 

I can remember fans singing vile things about Brian Clough, No one wanted Mackay,  some fans hated Arthur, nobody at all wanted Jim Smith except for Lionel, and amazingly enough some people hate King Billy  

And they are the only managers that won anything for us, the rest are all... the same. 

It's an interesting concept that in a sport where winning is pretty much everything that makes a difference to people's lives and by definition can only be done by no more than 50% of teams in a given week, fans also want players and managers to be likeable. 

'Yeah he switched us to a 4-2-3-1 but he's given nothing to charity this year and when I shouted out to him in Aldi he bloody blanked me.' 

'Sure he scored a hat-trick but did you see him shoot when so-and-so was through. Greedy beggar.' 

As fans we are all a little guilty of over-associating Derby County staff as mates of ours as we hang on the coat tails of their success or alternatively blame them for the unhappiness in our lives. 

I'm not a fan of Marmite either. 

My main Marmite Manager fo a long time has been Cocu

I was impressed we got him - worried about his turkish record

Immensly impressed with his playing career

Liked him as a man

thought he had some good ideas

liked his view of youth

then there was watching the games

then there was the points we weren't accruing

but what a nice bloke - part of me still sad when he left - dunno why though - the other part of me was calling for it for a few weeks

Akin to a really good looking girlfriend with no personality who is not great in bed either

Tommy Docherty.... he sold Todd

Nigel Pearson....... seemed a bully

John Gregory....... confusing circumstances

However much I love DCFC we seem to have had a phenomenal turnaround of managers.

I suppose we've never recovered since the heights scaled in the glory years of 1968-76 and still expect a manager to walk on water!

To be honest, my opinion of most recent managers generally deteriorated over time after initially rating them, which I think is similar to most fans. So not many “marmite” opinions about. Probably the closest to one I have is that I think McClaren’s sacking first time around was justified, regardless of the Newcastle situation. I’m pretty sure there was a lot of outcry at the time, but I don’t think he could have kept his job after that run of form. I know he had an injury crisis, but he handled it poorly, and didn’t adapt to the players he had available. The collapse was unacceptable, as much as I loved his time in charge generally.

Archived