Does the recent decline show how important Keogh was?

DCFC Kicks

• Replies 201
  • Created
  • Last Reply
18 hours ago, Millenniumram said:

I think it’s too simplistic to put this decline down to individual players out / not out on the pitch. The whole club is rotten, from top to bottom, and has been for some time. The main blame for our current situation lies in the shambolic running of the club at board level, particularly this season. We left ourselves with one senior striker at the end of the summer transfer window. We sacked our manager and stuck a committee in charge. Now we’ve got a rookie who’s not even qualified in charge, whilst we wait for a takeover which doesn’t feel like it’ll ever go through. It’s a shambles, and there’s no surprise whatsoever that we’re going down to League One.

That said, I do think we miss a proper leader out on the pitch. Keogh let the club down and was deservedly sacked, but he always gave his all out on the pitch and lead by example. At the moment we have no vocal experienced leader instilling that belief in the players during games. And you can tell. Our current team is mentally weak, whenever they’re put under any sort of pressure they collapse, exactly as we’ve seen in the last few games. This isn’t a squad up for the fight to avoid relegation.

This.... i was thinking 'who's at fault' weeks ago, and i was minded to come to a similar conclusion. Its not one player, or two, there's something else, the way our buying/selling/ releasing of players has been conducted, im not blaming Cocu, as im sure he desperately wanted Dursun to come, but for some reason he didnt, was that his fault? i doubt it its not his money, he would have paid 2 million im sure at that point to get him in knowing we were going into the season with no fit striker.

So whether its FFP or whatever, its been for me the recruitment and planning 'going forward' ( by that i mean in every sense, strikers/midfielders/and recruitment of them) that is to 'blame' ... and who's fault that is im not sure, Mel's ? was he thinking ' Im selling soon so i dont want to put any more of my own money in? FFp ? or is our recruitment team not very good ? at planning or at getting the required deal done ?

19 hours ago, DCFClks said:

I think it's no surprise this decline seemed to have started when Keogh left. Just show's how massive he was at the club when he was here. I think the criticism towards him went way to far at times (not including Joiners). I don't think he would have let the team perform they way they have in some of the recent matches had he still been here.  

Yep

Organisation, passion, energy, leadership - We've been missing all of that - It's no surprise we've had to bring Davies back in to try and provide some of that for us instead

11 hours ago, Grumpy Git said:

History says they gained promotion that year and unless I'm mistaken we didn't. 

You aren't getting away with that.

QPR finished the season 5 points behind us. There is no-one, even QPR fans, who thought they deserved to even get a draw out of the game at Wembley. It was a travesty.

Your original post stated that we were not good enough to get into the premier league with Keogh in the side.

I would could say that we were far and away good enough. Over the season and in the play-off semi-final and in the final. 

For you to say we weren't means you thought QPR were a better team than us over the season and in the final.

Is that the case?

56 minutes ago, Mostyn6 said:

Nope. Not unless he was a 15-20 goal a season striker. Sorry.... keep clutching

Cloughie kept clutching because he always built from the back.

I man like ALWAYS.

Of course he bought strikers, but his entire MO was get the back right first.

McFarland, Todd, Nish, Mackay (kind of) and the Burns and Shilton at the red dogs. He also Kept Peter Daniel on his arrival  at Derby as many left. 

He was obsessed with clean sheets first and foremost because then you cannot lose.

38 minutes ago, 24Charlie said:

You aren't getting away with that.

QPR finished the season 5 points behind us. There is no-one, even QPR fans, who thought they deserved to even get a draw out of the game at Wembley. It was a travesty.

Your original post stated that we were not good enough to get into the premier league with Keogh in the side.

I would could say that we were far and away good enough. Over the season and in the play-off semi-final and in the final. 

For you to say we weren't means you thought QPR were a better team than us over the season and in the final.

Is that the case?

OK, Keogh was just one player in a team that ultimately were not good enough to gain promotion.

I keep looking at the history of the Prem and it  definitely shows we've not played in it since before Keogh came or since he left for the heights of L1.

Anyone "getting off" on the talent of Keogh is very easily pleased.

Personally,miss Keogh.

Do I think he would improve this team,of course.

I’m just too conflicted about the whole saga to get into it properly...good thread though.

I would pay good money too see him go on a buccaneering run past the half way line then turn round and go back to Marshall.

I'd like to say no but our current CB's between them master skills such as not jumping, not heading and not running fast. 

Keogh > Ter Wierik, Davies, Wisdom, Evans. Possibly Clarke i can't decide. 

Keogh made some funny errors but most these guys aren't even in the right place to make an error. 

(Overall I blame the whole team getting worse with tactics to match)

4 minutes ago, Dimmu said:

image.thumb.png.ad73bfb67e5f355a0db16d2ec0676aaf.png

16 games. Won 10, draw 3. Scored in every game and on average more than 2 per game.  

I take it that you didn't like it? I sure did.

your point was that we played excellent football though, which was definitely not the case.

Yes we got the results in some games but the football certainly wasn't excellent. 

Scrapped 2-1 wins against newly promoted Barnsley and Charlton, and same against Hull 1-0. Then lost against Luton town. 2 good performances against Stoke and Swansea but then 4 games in a row without a win. Sheff Wed, Blackburn, Millwall were good games, but then struggled to beat Reading and the Preston game was just a Rooney free kick and we put 11 behind the ball for the whole game. Also you missed off that list all the games we lost after Preston.

I would say that the majority of people would agree we were not playing excellent football, just got lucky with some results, apart from maybe the Blackburn and Stoke games. 

20 minutes ago, Chris_Martin said:

your point was that we played excellent football though, which was definitely not the case.

Yes we got the results in some games but the football certainly wasn't excellent. 

Scrapped 2-1 wins against newly promoted Barnsley and Charlton, and same against Hull 1-0. Then lost against Luton town. 2 good performances against Stoke and Swansea but then 4 games in a row without a win. Sheff Wed, Blackburn, Millwall were good games, but then struggled to beat Reading and the Preston game was just a Rooney free kick and we put 11 behind the ball for the whole game. Also you missed off that list all the games we lost after Preston.

I would say that the majority of people would agree we were not playing excellent football, just got lucky with some results, apart from maybe the Blackburn and Stoke games. 

Yeah, I didn't list the games after the Preston as I said we played excellent football from January to May. If you didn't like that period, I assume it's tough to follow Rams... It was as good as it gets, I'm afraid. Comparable to Mac1 and luck doesn't win you 10/16 games. 

What majority of people say it's not something I know. Or care. Or make assumptions of.

Keogh ended his time by not being a leader. If Rooney did the same we'd want him out too.

I don't think we've got a better central defender to replace Keogh though. That said he wasn't outstanding either. Had good games and good moments. Fans sang his name and then in his head he got excited and thought he was Rio Ferdinand and inevitably then made a mistake.

Not fussed he has moved on but agree that we do not have a leader at all now, on or off the pitch. Funny though, thought Rooney was a natural leader (rolls eyes).

10 minutes ago, Dimmu said:

Yeah, I didn't list the games after the Preston as I said we played excellent football from January to May. If you didn't like that period, I assume it's tough to follow Rams... It was as good as it gets, I'm afraid. Comparable to Mac1 and luck doesn't win you 10/16 games. 

What majority of people say it's not something I know. Or care. Or make assumptions of.

If it was January to May why did you include December to July?

Not sure how that can be comparable to Mac1 to be honest. Totally different football. 

Do you think that was really 'excellent football' though?? 

1 hour ago, Chris_Martin said:

And Rooney's initial impact when he arrived boosted the team. Teams didn't know how to deal with him at first but then soon realised.

1 hour ago, Chris_Martin said:

If it was January to May why did you include December to July?

Not sure how that can be comparable to Mac1 to be honest. Totally different football. 

Do you think that was really 'excellent football' though?? 

Pardon my memory. For some reason I recalled that period from Jan to May when it was from the 30th of December to first day of June. Unacceptable from my part.

Yes, I do think the football was excellent. I'd take possession-based football and over two goals and points from per game right now.

Archived