Does the recent decline show how important Keogh was?

DCFC Kicks

I think it's no surprise this decline seemed to have started when Keogh left. Just show's how massive he was at the club when he was here. I think the criticism towards him went way to far at times (not including Joiners). I don't think he would have let the team perform they way they have in some of the recent matches had he still been here.  

• Replies 201
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Was on the end of harsh treatment from some rams fans throughout. 

Amazing how many will blame him for the goal at Wembley but have no bad words to say against Jake Buxton who was far more to blame,  with Forsyth, for the goal than Keogh. 

Good player for us,  and we have missed his desire. 

8 minutes ago, DCFClks said:

I think it's no surprise this decline seemed to have started when Keogh left. Just show's how massive he was at the club when he was here. I think the criticism towards him went way to far at times (not including Joiners). I don't think he would have let the team perform they way they have in some of the recent matches had he still been here.  

Like you say.... every word.

It’s not a surprise, Keogh was a very important part of our set up as was Chris Martin but they are essential positions centre half and centre forward and we were exceptionally close to needing to replace them anyway due to their age but we simply haven’t been able to either on cost or the ones chosen simply weren’t good enough to play in those positions ( Davies is fine but a similar situation) 

15 minutes ago, DCFClks said:

A big miss, Mr Derby County. Such a shame. Still think he was harshly treated compared to the other two ?

3 minutes ago, Xlor said:

No. He plays for mk Don's. 6th from bottom of league 1. His decline is even worse than ours. 

Scoring 6 in 14 games has nothing to do with an ex centre half. 

How do you know how he is playing? If he is anything close to the player he was before the incident he would walk back in to the current team ?

25 minutes ago, Grumpy Git said:

Keogh like a lot if other Derby players, was not good enough to see us gain promotion to the "promised land".

Next question..?

I'm not talking about whether Keogh was good enough to get promoted, I'm talking about how much impacted his leaving the club has had on the team and it's decline. 

Besides, many players worse than Keogh have got promoted. So many other factors come into play.

24 minutes ago, Xlor said:

No. He plays for mk Don's. 6th from bottom of league 1. His decline is even worse than ours. 

He play's for MK Dons because his injury drastically reduced his ability. I know he only had 1 or 2 seasons left for Derby but he was still a very good player for us up until his last game. Besides from his ability, his leadership and responsibility as well.

I know he wouldn't solve our scoring problems, but he did set off many, many attacks which led to goals during his time here.  

I think it’s too simplistic to put this decline down to individual players out / not out on the pitch. The whole club is rotten, from top to bottom, and has been for some time. The main blame for our current situation lies in the shambolic running of the club at board level, particularly this season. We left ourselves with one senior striker at the end of the summer transfer window. We sacked our manager and stuck a committee in charge. Now we’ve got a rookie who’s not even qualified in charge, whilst we wait for a takeover which doesn’t feel like it’ll ever go through. It’s a shambles, and there’s no surprise whatsoever that we’re going down to League One.

That said, I do think we miss a proper leader out on the pitch. Keogh let the club down and was deservedly sacked, but he always gave his all out on the pitch and lead by example. At the moment we have no vocal experienced leader instilling that belief in the players during games. And you can tell. Our current team is mentally weak, whenever they’re put under any sort of pressure they collapse, exactly as we’ve seen in the last few games. This isn’t a squad up for the fight to avoid relegation.

1 hour ago, DCFClks said:

I'm not talking about whether Keogh was good enough to get promoted, I'm talking about how much impacted his leaving the club has had on the team and it's decline. 

Besides, many players worse than Keogh have got promoted. So many other factors come into play.

well said. completely agree.

1 hour ago, DCFClks said:

He play's for MK Dons because his injury drastically reduced his ability. I know he only had 1 or 2 seasons left for Derby but he was still a very good player for us up until his last game. Besides from his ability, his leadership and responsibility as well.

I know he wouldn't solve our scoring problems, but he did set off many, many attacks which led to goals during his time here.  

Another good point.

Keogh's ability was sometimes questioned but he was our leader, and set the tone for how we played. 

2 hours ago, DCFClks said:

I also miss his interviews. 

1 hour ago, Xlor said:

There are many reasons for our downfall, Keogh leaving is one of them. There is no doubt about that. He was a leader, he loved the club and would give absolutely everything on the pitch, week in week out.

2 hours ago, DCFClks said:

When you compare captains the disparity between then and what’s happened recently is huge!

Keogh made mistakes but wore his heart on his sleeve, put his body on the line and gave his all for the cause.

Despite being a technically much superior player..... can Rooney say he even gave half as much effort, commitment and desire as Keogh?

I know who’s I’d rather have on my side!

Archived