Our team need supporters

Cisse

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I like I assume the majority of posters are annoyed, upset, disappointed and baffled by our current position/performances. I assume also that come Saturday everyone of us will be behind the team that’s goes out on the pitch. These players have our support every match day, but they also will get our criticism when it’s deserved.  
I can’t wait for Saturday, we don’t have  much to look forward to at the moment but at least we still have our football club and the glimmer of hope they bring us (for a least 10 mins anyway). I’ll support them for every minute of every game, but that won’t stop me getting angry and upset even with individuals when they are not performing. That’s just being a football fan isn’t it? That’s it, that’s what it’s about. I always remember being at the BBG and Paul Simpson stepping up to take a free kick and the bloke behind me giving him loads of stick (not you Simmo, you couldn’t hit a barn door etc etc) He smacked it right in the top corner, the bloke was virtually on the pitch singing Paul Simpson’s name as loud as he could, that right there is a football fan wether we like it or not, that’s what we are.

Normally I am a member of the 'However bad we are, cheer em til you're hoarse' brigade because I have watched and supported some really poor Derby sides but as long as I felt that they were giving a good go then I could live with it. Even allowing for a lack of a certain striker (whose appearances were sporadic anyway) this squad has shown far better than it is currently showing though and didn't suddenly become easily the worst team in the Championship. The clear suspicion amongst fans is that they are not giving their all for the cause and fans can forgive many things but not that. I would never condone any fan abusing players on twitter though and I have never booed a Derby player at a game and will never do so.

We have been so abject this season though that many fans feel that they need a little something back - something, anything to suggest that the players are in this with us not just looking for their next move. There is a point within a game where the crowd have been right behind the team but the game isn't going well and the fans are getting a more and more subdued and you need something to happen, a spark to work with, something to bounce off. That may be a shot, a powerful run or just a crunching tackle but it lifts the crowd and we need that moment right now, both in real terms on the pitch but also in more general sense for club morale.

Please. Show us some fight. Give us some hope, that's all most of us ask.

I have been overly critical of fans in the past, particularly with their reaction and support to the likes of Keogh. I'm not sure I can this time round, personally I think the fact we're not in the stadium has allowed the majority to detach themselves emotionally somewhat. 

This is as bad as we've ever had it in my lifetime: we're quite literally setting the pace to be one of the worst teams this division has ever seen, our chairman has absolutely checked out, we've been on the brink of a takeover for a month now and we're trialing a model that's never been done before (for absolutely good reason) which involves four interim managers. All because I think Mel didn't have the bottle to just put Rooney in charge when Cocu was sacked. He dressed it up by naming all four in charge. 

This isn't how a team in non-league would run things, never mind a league club and absolutely not one of the biggest clubs in the second division. I can absolutely get on board when good intentions and seemingly good decisions don't work out and turn out to be bad decisions, i.e. Cocu and to some extent Rooney as a player. It's not ideal but I know the guys making these decisions don't have a crystal ball. I would still expect them to make more good decisions than bad overall, perhaps that's where Mel's fell down, but that's a different argument. 

What I can't get behind in any shape or form is clearly egregious decisions that stink of incompetence from a club of our stature. The 4 interim managers is worse than Cellino hiring David Hockaday as the manager at Leeds because he could talk about football for a few hours. Rooney is using this club as his own plaything and the atrocity is that he's been given the freedom to do it. 

The saving grace for me over the years (watching bad Derby sides), was the day out with the lads. Home or away, if we was rubbish, we'd have a post-mortem and steadily get drunk, vent between us, that seemed to put it to bed. Can't do that in present times, i guess there is a lot of pent up anger and frustration going around.

Whilst I am not saying we are all of the answer, I do think the team would be in a better position league-wide if we had supporters at Pride Park as usual.

The vast majority would still be willing them on at games and I think we would be seeing better performances all round  even if like last season, we were rubbish on the road.

Instead, their interaction with fans is limited to social media, where they probably see the absolute worst of our fanbase - and many  many posters who are outright trolls or have never been anywhere near our club. They are probably questioning how deep that feeling is, because they haven't got the rest of us to give them some loyal support, a cheer, a pat on the back after a game. There's no balance.

I think it is really unfair that some teams will have supporters in grounds from next week and others won't. Because I think that players of teams will be buoyed by that. 

I am sure there were some statistics that pointed towards home advantage having completely disappeared during lockdown. What if it reappears for those clubs that are allowed supporters? And where does that leave our already demoralised players who won't get that lift? 

My final point on our situation is we don't have any players in the team with a bit of side, the players who like a bit of aggro and would thrive on this, players like Morrison at Cardiff, and yes, anybody playing for Warnock. Too many nice guys is not actually helping our team at the moment. 

7 hours ago, I am Ram said:

The saving grace for me over the years (watching bad Derby sides), was the day out with the lads. Home or away, if we was rubbish, we'd have a post-mortem and steadily get drunk, vent between us, that seemed to put it to bed. Can't do that in present times, i guess there is a lot of pent up anger and frustration going around.

That’s where I am too 100% the watching at home with the wife and kids isn’t cutting it like it would with the boys, I am missing that part immensely.

The reasoning behind that is...losing in the way we are would be annoying at the ground and in the pub after but losing the way we are watching it at home is soul destroying because the good lady and the kids don’t get it like fellow boys do and my ranting and raving at the TV screen is going down too well either ????

No idea where to post my general impressions, as there are so many threads.

In the summer most people seemed to regard the transfer activity as a triumph. I felt out of step believing that - although there was some decent stuff - we had failed yet again to address the priorities. Therefore a dysfunctional team didn’t surprise me. I was hopeful that cocu would settle on his team in season 2 and hoped to see less of wazza and more of sibbo. Cocu continued to tinker. He seemed unable to see where he was going wrong. unfortunately by the end most fans had already decided he was dead meat. His leaving statement only served to reinforce the impression of a man who could not see the wood for the trees. He was especially proud of the “stay safe, stay fit, stay connected” campaign as that was his idea? Wtf? Phil, your job was first team manager not community bloody liaison. In the final analysis he was weak. He allowed the chairman to make the big decisions and suffered the consequences.

we lurched from drama to crisis. The executive chairman - (Mel loves his job titles) - couldn’t even decide who to put in temporary charge and picked a friggin committee of absolute numpties. Once it contained wazza the tough decisions could not be addressed. We got our first real look at Liam under pressure. He is bloody awful. He makes Phil Brown look like Alf Ramsey. Wtf have we been employing him for?
Now Mac is back, but in what capacity? I have no idea.

This is Mel at his worst, making an absolute balls up of it and steering the ship into an iceberg. we now wait in disbelief for the ship to slowly tilt, and the stern to rise, before we disappear into the abyss.  

this cannot be happening. Surely?
We have some great youngsters and some overrated poo but we are surely better than this?
Wake up Melvyn or step aside. 

wrong decisions now will kill us. Every night I log on hoping to read that the worst is over. That we have made a good managerial appointment. The new man can see what exactly we need. The first team selection is a breath of fresh air. Slowly but surely we right ourselves and the danger is passed. Unfortunately I can’t see who has that ability. I hope that somehow Mac emerges as the saviour, but whether he has the balls and the ability to sort this out, I really don’t know.

Come on Derby ffs. This feels like Villa at Wembley with two minutes to go. Hoping for someone to save the day.

1 hour ago, ThePrisoner said:

We (mostly) all probably want to get back to Pride Park b4. It’s been a long wait but hopefully we’re nearer to seeing them than a few months ago. Things are looking up, keep the faith. 

I dont think it fair london clubs can open there doors and we cant and like london self teir 2 surprise that popurtaions can go and enjoy xmas while rest of us are stuck inside.

18 hours ago, David said:

Nobody is blaming the fans for the current position. 

Just saying that we are fuelling a toxic atmosphere around the club as it's not helpful in the slightest. It's easy to support a football club when things are going great, harder when not so great, but that doesn't mean we just give up and become the opposition to these players.

These players are our only way out of this mess, right now they need us however hard that maybe to offer our support. 

You might not believe players will read our words, but many players and managers not just at Derby have said otherwise. 

Personal abuse of individuals can never be condoned but I’m not going to offer unconditional support to a bunch of underperforming overpaid and overindulged footballers; if they actually start to do the job they are paid to do then I’ll start being positive but as a fan paying around £15 a week to watch or listen to the utter crap they have been producing I find it kind of hard to be a fanboy at the moment David.

6 hours ago, B4ev6is said:

I dont think it fair london clubs can open there doors and we cant and like london self teir 2 surprise that popurtaions can go and enjoy xmas while rest of us are stuck inside.

If we go into tier two and 4 thousand fans are allowed into Pride Park to support the team, you still might have to wait to see the lads until a vaccine is circulated.  You’ll be even more disappointed if others are there and you’re not.

You've got your whole life in front of you to support Derby.  Some fans have died due to this virus and will never see the Rams again.

Have patience.

8 hours ago, Ted McMinn Football Genius said:

That’s where I am too 100% the watching at home with the wife and kids isn’t cutting it like it would with the boys, I am missing that part immensely.

The reasoning behind that is...losing in the way we are would be annoying at the ground and in the pub after but losing the way we are watching it at home is soul destroying because the good lady and the kids don’t get it like fellow boys do and my ranting and raving at the TV screen is going down too well either ????

Can I be a honorary "fellow boy"? ?

8 hours ago, RamNut said:

No idea where to post my general impressions, as there are so many threads.

In the summer most people seemed to regard the transfer activity as a triumph. I felt out of step believing that - although there was some decent stuff - we had failed yet again to address the priorities. Therefore a dysfunctional team didn’t surprise me. I was hopeful that cocu would settle on his team in season 2 and hoped to see less of wazza and more of sibbo. Cocu continued to tinker. He seemed unable to see where he was going wrong. unfortunately by the end most fans had already decided he was dead meat. His leaving statement only served to reinforce the impression of a man who could not see the wood for the trees. He was especially proud of the “stay safe, stay fit, stay connected” campaign as that was his idea? Wtf? Phil, your job was first team manager not community bloody liaison. In the final analysis he was weak. He allowed the chairman to make the big decisions and suffered the consequences.

we lurched from drama to crisis. The executive chairman - (Mel loves his job titles) - couldn’t even decide who to put in temporary charge and picked a friggin committee of absolute numpties. Once it contained wazza the tough decisions could not be addressed. We got our first real look at Liam under pressure. He is bloody awful. He makes Phil Brown look like Alf Ramsey. Wtf have we been employing him for?
Now Mac is back, but in what capacity? I have no idea.

This is Mel at his worst, making an absolute balls up of it and steering the ship into an iceberg. we now wait in disbelief for the ship to slowly tilt, and the stern to rise, before we disappear into the abyss.  

this cannot be happening. Surely?
We have some great youngsters and some overrated poo but we are surely better than this?
Wake up Melvyn or step aside. 

wrong decisions now will kill us. Every night I log on hoping to read that the worst is over. That we have made a good managerial appointment. The new man can see what exactly we need. The first team selection is a breath of fresh air. Slowly but surely we right ourselves and the danger is passed. Unfortunately I can’t see who has that ability. I hope that somehow Mac emerges as the saviour, but whether he has the balls and the ability to sort this out, I really don’t know.

Come on Derby ffs. This feels like Villa at Wembley with two minutes to go. Hoping for someone to save the day.

Your criticism of Phil Cocu is harsh , it was very generous and kind of him to put his own money into local projects to help people and his leaving statement showed class which he showed throughout his tenure at our club.

What big decisions did Mel make instead of Cocu towards the end? I never ever felt that Cocu got the fans true support yet he mentioned the fans and club in his final statement and walked away with less than he was entitled to so should be applauded for that not criticised, in fact I can't think of many managers that have had the decency to make any statement at all when they left.

Cocu was the right appointment at the wrong time for me as was never fully backed in the market like Clement and Rowett were as I'm pretty sure he didn't go to Mel and say i want CKR but he got on with it without fuss I believe he would've done better with a few decent signings eg a striker or two might've helped.

The rest of your post though is pretty spot on and I feel exactly the same as I cannot believe the incompetence which continues day to day at our club.

Mel has good intentions there is no doubt but we are honestly in a very difficult situation now, 4 wannabe managers a technical director whos really a coach and the club in limbo regarding the takeover and no big decisions being made!! its quite astonishing what's actually happening or not happening at our club!

I keep checking sky and news on my phone hoping to see we have appointed someone and we have cleared the decks for a new coaching team but it appears we are lurching towards another game under the guidance of Rooney,Rosenior,Given and Walker with Mac no doubt sat in the stands....I mean ...its a frigging mess!

Also will any new manager get the full support from our captain Rooney , a person who wants the job ? I'm not so sure...Rooney has picked two easier games to be in the dugout and I just hope that 2 wins will not cloud peoples judgement as I don't think Rooney is the right man for us.

I live in hope that soon i will hear that all of the coaches have gone,  Rooney is just a bit part player in certain games managed by a strong decisive DCFC manager who has a clear vision of where we are going with his own coaching team behind him.......but I wont hold my breath .......worrying times!

Archived