Our team need supporters

Cisse

16 minutes ago, David said:

Nobody is blaming the fans for the current position. 

Just saying that we are fuelling a toxic atmosphere around the club as it's not helpful in the slightest. It's easy to support a football club when things are going great, harder when not so great, but that doesn't mean we just give up and become the opposition to these players.

These players are our only way out of this mess, right now they need us however hard that maybe to offer our support. 

You might not believe players will read our words, but many players and managers not just at Derby have said otherwise. 

I'm so sick of hearing 'they need us, this hurts, support them'. All they ever get is support, they are coddled by player liaison officers, chefs, fans begging for autographs, private healthcare and more money than they know what to do with. As long as they are not abused, they deserve nothing extra now than to get on with their job or go elsewhere. 

In this climate they are amongst the luckiest people (mental health will always be unaffected by money i am aware of this). Yet you choose to come from the angle of 'yes i know they're playing bad but we need to help'. I think now is the time for them to repay the many pounds spent, hours travelled and emotions felt by pulling their lips off the floor and putting 100% in.

Not suggesting you are doing PR for them, of course not, but in your position at this forum, you will undoubtedly be in the more positive camp and it's ok for us to disagree with your stance just as you disagree with ours. 

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply
33 minutes ago, David said:

Nobody is blaming the fans for the current position. 

Just saying that we are fuelling a toxic atmosphere around the club as it's not helpful in the slightest. It's easy to support a football club when things are going great, harder when not so great, but that doesn't mean we just give up and become the opposition to these players.

These players are our only way out of this mess, right now they need us however hard that maybe to offer our support. 

You might not believe players will read our words, but many players and managers not just at Derby have said otherwise. 

The toxic atmosphere has been generated originally by certain players failing to put the effort in out on the pitch, and coaches undermining the previous manager. It’s spread to the fan base, but it didn’t start here. The whole club stinks. It’s not like the fans have given up supporting the club, we’re still all watching the games, it’s just we’ve lost all hope. It’s difficult not to I’m the circumstances. 

For what’s it’s worth, I’m sure some fans do read this forum as well as Twitter etc. I really would recommend they don’t at the moment. And if they do, they can’t expect to see anything other than criticism given their performances on the pitch. If that hurts them, go out there and prove us wrong.

2 hours ago, goldstar said:

I'm so sick of hearing 'they need us, this hurts, support them'. All they ever get is support, they are coddled by player liaison officers, chefs, fans begging for autographs, private healthcare and more money than they know what to do with. As long as they are not abused, they deserve nothing extra now than to get on with their job or go elsewhere. 

In this climate they are amongst the luckiest people (mental health will always be unaffected by money i am aware of this). Yet you choose to come from the angle of 'yes i know they're playing bad but we need to help'. I think now is the time for them to repay the many pounds spent, hours travelled and emotions felt by pulling their lips off the floor and putting 100% in.

Not suggesting you are doing PR for them, of course not, but in your position at this forum, you will undoubtedly be in the more positive camp and it's ok for us to disagree with your stance just as you disagree with ours. 

I would also add people are being more critical than the framing of it being venomous on here for the most part. Twitter, agree it’s much more toxic.

It’s the way the world has gone, if you vote Labour you’re a loony leftie who hates Jews and a rape gang denier, if you vote Tory you’re a xenophobic racist who doesn’t care for anyone but yourself. Brexit, life style choices and pretty much anything has gone binary, when there is many other layers to a debate or view. It’s like someone likes apples but gets the reply “I can’t believe you hate oranges”

There is times when critique gets portrayed as toxic I think and I find it a bit unfair.

With regards @David post, there’s no doubt everyone here wants things to be amazing and we can all live the dream that we can get ourselves out of this. I get that we need to pull together, the fans have done and are always willing to do their part in this - and from what it looks like currently and quite rightly, I’d say the majority are seeing a club not holding their side of the bargain.

I totally get that we’ve all been stuck in etc and I get some will get more exasperated than others - however we are looking for an outlet to keep our hopes up.... and it’s not great what’s happening currently.

The club does some amazing community work - I urge most here to get some form of involvement in it. There is hope and I still have that whatever ownership and/or management we are in.

As for the PR - I’ve apologised privately and publicly to David for that. No excuse it was bang out of order and take full responsibility for my actions. I would say though that the club have misjudged the mood currently and it certainly not helped see what they put out on socials last week. Maybe suggest more community stuff to go out because that is feel good and can only see positives from that.

For Mel - if the takeover does happen, I think for his benefit if he does stay on - takes a back seat from any media etc, because I fear people will hate more than feel sorrow and I for one, however critical of him in the past, wouldn't want that.

25 minutes ago, goldstar said:

My position on the forum has nothing to do with my opinions at all, it just doesn't and to be honest I'm sick of hearing that. Anyone that has spoken to me privately will know I am the same offline as online.

I have faced my own battles mentally which are no secret and don't mind saying publicly that I have been on Sertraline now for the last 13 months, medication that has made me even more calmer than I previously was without anxiety and that possibly reflects in my posting style. 

I certainly won't be apologising for that or changing in anyway.

Don't get me wrong, I watched last night head in hands, the lack of desire was incredibly tough top watch but at full time my first thought wasn't to come on here spouting venom. As I say, football has been my escape, it was the reason this forum exists as it was born from wanting to remove myself from the toxic situation on the DET forum which I'm sliding back into. 

I really don't wish to offend anyone with this next line, but I sometimes think that those who have experienced mental health issues, are possibly more aware that you don't always know what demons other people are battling with. Take Tom Lawerence for example with the death of his mum, it's ok being coddled by player liaison officers and having adoring fans looking for your autograph and selfies, but that can't replace the loss of your mum, nor does money.

Luckily I haven't lost my mum, being a lot older than Tom I have no idea how I will cope when that day inevitably arrives.

We are all different, we all handle adversities in our life differently.

I fully appreciate those that may read these posts and think F off David, I'm certainly not out to change anyones mind, just voicing my opinions like us all. But if one fan reads this and thinks hold on, I maybe should just step away after a game and take a few hours to cool down before saying something that could effect another person reading this post then great. I certainly think a few should, but again that's just my opinion.

I’d suggest that the players who are putting a shift in are getting loads of support even if they make the odd mistake or have an off game. Some may pick up on a mistake they made but generally are supported and have the majority of fans behind them. 

And this is exactly what I’d expect from any fan base. I’ll list those players if you like- Marshall, Buchanan, Clark, Wisdom, Bryne, Bird, Knight, Sibley, Josviak, Shiniesta, Davies, Bilelik, Evans, Colin, Whitaker. 

Now, for those players who look like they don’t care, or are not giving their all or who are constantly poor and being a detriment to the team and seem to be an automatic pick will ALWAYS receive less support and often criticism from the fan base.
Those players this season and some from last season are - Lawrence, Roos, Te Wierik, Forsyth, Holmes, Waghorn & Rooney   

This is the way it has always been and always will be.

For me it doesn’t make a fan base less supportive if they criticise those players in the second part of the list. I’d disagree with some of the players on that list but understand the fan frustration and criticism as they share it for a majority of them. 

When you are bottom Of the table, have scored only 6 goals all season and we are as poor as we are it is not ALL on the manager.

Those players need to take part of the blame, need to be held account for their actions, and the only way the fans can do this is through being at the ground and vocalising that or online in a virtual way. This year that’s restricted to just being online. 

Let them vent, let them show how unhappy they are as a fan base. If you don’t like it as a player who isn’t giving their all, or who is playing poorly to the detriment of OUR team then sort yourself out. Sit on the bench, work harder in training, be honest with yourself and put everything you have into every minute of your pay check. 
Take the criticism, you deserve it. 

If you can’t do that, I don’t want you near this club anyway. 

21 minutes ago, David said:

My position on the forum has nothing to do with my opinions at all, it just doesn't and to be honest I'm sick of hearing that. Anyone that has spoken to me privately will know I am the same offline as online.

I have faced my own battles mentally which are no secret and don't mind saying publicly that I have been on Sertraline now for the last 13 months, medication that has made me even more calmer than I previously was without anxiety and that possibly reflects in my posting style. 

Don't get me wrong, I watched last night head in hands, the lack of desire was incredibly tough top watch but at full time my first thought wasn't to come on here spouting venom. As I say, football has been my escape, it was the reason this forum exists as it was born from wanting to remove myself from the toxic situation on the DET forum which I'm sliding back into. 

I really don't wish to offend anyone with this next line, but I sometimes think that those who have experienced mental health issues, are possibly more aware that you don't always know what demons other people are battling with. Take Tom Lawerence for example with the death of his mum, it's ok being coddled by player liaison officers and having adoring fans looking for your autograph and selfies, but that can't replace the loss of your mum, nor does money.

Luckily I haven't lost my mum, being a lot older than Tom I have no idea how I will cope when that day inevitably arrives.

I fully appreciate those that may read these posts and think F off David, I'm certainly not out to change anyones mind, just voicing my opinions like us all. But if one fan reads this and thinks hold on, I maybe should just step away after a game and take a few hours to cool down before saying something that could effect another person reading this post then great. I certainly think a few should, but again that's just my opinion.

Just reading this back and wanted to add something more.

I'm not suggesting for a minute any of our players are dealing with any mental health issues, we don't know. 

Nothing wrong with criticism, everything isn't rosy, we are bottom of the league and struggling let's not shy away from that. The long winded point I was trying to make was just think about the words you use, this is a public forum and you don't know who is reading and if at all they are working from any problems that could be effecting their own personal performances. 

Tom Lawrence is an example, one that we only found out later on just how rough it was for him. 2020 has been tough for everyone, not being able to see friends and family and with Christmas looming will only get tougher for some. 

1 hour ago, DerbyNutter said:

The government are trying to protect you and other people. Virus ain't going nowhere at anytime so please don't blame the government for that. 

Well then moaning why struggling for money and so many people out of work because of them. Have they not punish people enough already.

31 minutes ago, David said:

I too (as i suspect most people have) suffered with depression and you will see from my post history that i am extremely sympathetic to Lawrence's situation regarding his mum and believe he deserved a second chance due to his off the pitch issues. 

Now, just because i say players are coddled doesn't mean i would be dismissive of looking after mental health. Yet it doesn't mean that we can accept p*ss poor performances week in week out. I would suggest those that feel not capable of focusing 100% on the game should instead take some time out and indeed make use of their luxuries on offer, no doubt they will be offered therapy. 

My issue is increasingly in this world, it is take, take, take from those less fortunate and making out they are greedy to expect any help from those in a better position (veering into politics i know!).

Increasingly i think fans are getting less patient when they are kept in the dark about things, not paid back their refunds, given terrible displays of football and are then expected to get fully behind the boys as the tiny minority of abusive 'fans' on twitter are used as an excuse as to why we need to be positive. 

You may see it as positivity and kindness, some of us see it as having given enough positivity/support and would like it given back in return. 

I think I told this story during the Clough years but since we have a lot of new posters and also I believe I have early symptoms of dementia here we go again.

About thirty years ago my hockey team back here was in danger of going down. i was on a away trip and we got beaten 10-1, The more we conceded the louder we got behind the team. The players were watching us on the bench and shaking their heads. Later I heard that after the game players had discussed about our actions during the game. They decided that the next game which was at home they would repay us play the absolute best they could. They did and that started a big rise which led us almost to the playoffs. 

The key was getting behind the team when they knew they had led us and themselves down. We could have ridiculed them for having one of the largest defeats in team history but that would have not given anybody anything.

Rant over.

Archived