Why do we concede goals?

RoyMac5

58 minutes ago, 1967Ram said:

The fact we are poor going forward puts pressure on the defence. The longer a game goes on with us not scoring the more the pressure builds. IMO we are guilty of over complicating the game and mistakes are our downfall so far.

Which brings tactics in question but he mustn’t be criticised because he”s so nice.

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think the whole problem is we’re actually concentrating too much on getting a clean sheet. The “solution” to our early season form was seen to be shoring up the defence by adding an extra man in there. Makes sense in theory, but doesn’t always work out in practice - especially if you don’t get the balance right in midfield.

If you don’t play two more attacking minded players in CM, you end up lacking forward options, and get forced onto the back foot too often. That is exactly what’s happening to us. We’ve got no one to pass to, so we just end up hoofing the ball forward, and it just keeps coming back. Again and again. Especially when we’re in front and drop back ourselves anyway. We end up so deep that it’s a matter of when, not if, the opposition score. No matter how good your defenders are, no one can withstand that amount of sustained pressure. 

The thing is, I wouldn’t actually say our defence is that bad on paper. It’s certainly among the better defences in the division in terms of individual quality. We need to get them organised better, but we also really need to relieve the pressure on them a bit. The only way to do that is to improve our attacking play, and start scoring some goals. That way it’s not such a disaster if we concede one goal, at the moment it’s basically game over.

So actually, the best solution to our problems in my view is to forget about clean sheets, and focus again on just scoring more than the opposition.

Build from the front.

2 hours ago, Mafiabob said:

The spine has broken in the space of 3 seasons

Carson = OLD, Keogh - OLD, Hudds- OLD Vydra/Martin - OLD - all gone and only one very recently replaced adequately (Marshall).

Also, lack of leadership in the team - Keogh was that heartbeat and leader. We have nothing now.

5 minutes ago, BathRam72 said:

5 minutes ago, BathRam72 said:

Not the point I was making, the spine is broken and not been replaced, I’m not suggesting there should be still all be here..... leadership thing stands 

2 hours ago, Mafiabob said:

The spine has broken in the space of 3 seasons

Carson, Keogh, Hudds, Vydra/Martin - all gone and only one very recently replaced adequately (Marshall).

Johnson, Bryson, Nugent.... the list goes on. We've lost far too much experience and leadership too quickly

Part of the problem is that when we score we usually go full "playoff Gary Rowett" and attempt to defend our 1 goal advantage for the remaining 70 minutes. We used to do the same thing last season but only towards the end of the game when we would bring more defensive players.

Its one of the things i like least about Cocu ball - watching us play attack v defence and desperately trying to hold on. We cant defend forever - we need to attack to ease the pressure

I found it interesting that when Liverpool played Man City the other day, to deal with the injury problems at the back, they played 4 up front. An example of the best form of defence is attack maybe. 

Not suggesting we do the same given our options in attack but as we are so poor going forward it does put more pressure on our defence. 

Is our lack of attacking intent the main cause of our defensive issues? 

17 hours ago, NottsRam77 said:

Trying to play out from the back 

Saturday just case in point 

But that isn’t it Isolation a whacking percentage of the goals we concede is from us having good clean not under any pressure possession only for a misplayed pass or overplaying and next thing it’s in our net 

The Marshall mistake wasn’t because of playing out from the back, he just made completely the wrong pass.

3 hours ago, JustOneChrissyMartin said:

The Marshall mistake wasn’t because of playing out from the back, he just made completely the wrong pass.

Yes and no,

agree he made a mistake full stop but 

If he had been under rowett / Pearson / billy where do u think that ball would have been put.

wouldn’t have been to the nearest centre back ... it would have been launched as far away from our box as possible 

I’m not saying that’s the right thing to do but what I am saying that us trying to play it out from the back is costing us goals this season an last  

3 hours ago, NottsRam77 said:

Yes and no,

agree he made a mistake full stop but 

If he had been under rowett / Pearson / billy where do u think that ball would have been put.

wouldn’t have been to the nearest centre back ... it would have been launched as far away from our box as possible 

I’m not saying that’s the right thing to do but what I am saying that us trying to play it out from the back is costing us goals this season an last  

By hoofing it you just give possession back to the opposition.

More goals are conceded from hoofing it than they are from playing out at the back.

1 hour ago, JustOneChrissyMartin said:

More goals are conceded from hoofing it than they are from playing out at the back.

I agree ur potentially handing it back to the opposition ... but your also putting them under pressure in their half of the pitch.

I would strongly contest with cocus Derby side that more goals are conceded by hoofing it than trying to play it out 

proofs in the current pudding 

the number of goals we’ve conceded from us having the ball and trying to play it out has been frightening and a significant reason why we and cocu are in the position that we are 

3 hours ago, JustOneChrissyMartin said:

But the possession is way up the pitch when 'hoofing', there's many more defenders to get past than when the keeper gives it away. (Have to say in the case of Marshall's last error none of the back 3 or midfield were really demanding the ball or even watching play it seemed?)

We don’t train enough to last more than sixty minutes.

Then we run out of subs.

We need to be 3-0 up by the hour mark to stand any chance of still being ahead by the final whistle.

Or get our players’ stamina levels up a few notches!

Plus.....stop playing Rooney unless he gets back to peak fitness!

On 14/11/2020 at 03:06, JustOneChrissyMartin said:

..... trying to play out ? 

it certainly wasn’t exactly put the ball on the deck and launch it deep into their half was it 

On 13/11/2020 at 08:50, RoyMac5 said:

Some posters laughing at the thought this squad is good, everyone seems to be concentrating on needing a striker. But only two teams - Coventry & Wycombe have let in more goals then us. 

Shouldn't we concentrate on keeping a clean sheet? When was our last clean sheet, I suppose we count Barrow.

Anyway build from the back.

Sometimes you just need a goal or two to get you on the front front, you go behind and in a run where you don’t know here the goals are coming from then it’s difficult.

So for me they can laugh but I for one stand by the fact it is good enough if you add goals. 

If you look  at both this AND last season together, the number of occasions when we have barely worked the opposition goalkeeper has been the thing that concerns me the most.

Hoping that we improve on this stat under whatever the new regime is.

I think our predictable play out of the back tactics whatever made it easy for teams to set up and make plans to defeat us (even the poorer teams).

I think being more adaptable (and variable) in our tactics would lead to disrupting opposition and conceding less goals.

Archived