Why do we concede goals?

RoyMac5

Some posters laughing at the thought this squad is good, everyone seems to be concentrating on needing a striker. But only two teams - Coventry & Wycombe have let in more goals then us. 

Shouldn't we concentrate on keeping a clean sheet? When was our last clean sheet, I suppose we count Barrow.

Anyway build from the back.

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It’s mostly a lack of organisation and concentration.

Both point to mental attitude rather than technical ability.

For a few years now, we’ve had a side with talent but which can’t cope under pressure. I honestly think we need a coach specifically for the mental side of the game. We need more leaders and more personal responsibility. That includes the younger players. 

Trying to play out from the back 

Saturday just case in point 

But that isn’t it Isolation a whacking percentage of the goals we concede is from us having good clean not under any pressure possession only for a misplayed pass or overplaying and next thing it’s in our net 

1 hour ago, AndyinLiverpool said:

I'm sure you checked and know it's not Barrow

No I haven't and my memory is rubbish. So your sarcasm is wasted.

I was just thinking there is so much emphasis on not scoring/no hold-up player and the squads not good enough. That as an afterthought maybe if we were to concede less and have a solid defence - back 4 for me, it might be a better starting point. 

Why do we concede goals ?

A number of reasons.

1, Are players try to overplay/play out when their not comfortable in difficult defense situations

2. Poor decision making.

3. Fear of making a mistake leading to errors.

4. Lack of hold up player in attack to relieve pressure.

5. Whole team lacking in overall confidence.

6. Tactical lost, through misunderstanding or having little believe, in them.  

2 hours ago, RoyMac5 said:

Some posters laughing at the thought this squad is good, everyone seems to be concentrating on needing a striker. But only two teams - Coventry & Wycombe have let in more goals then us. 

Shouldn't we concentrate on keeping a clean sheet? When was our last clean sheet, I suppose we count Barrow.

Barrow?

We performed a giant killing act that day!

Seems like it now!?

11 hours ago, RoyMac5 said:

The spine has broken in the space of 3 seasons

Carson, Keogh, Hudds, Vydra/Martin - all gone and only one very recently replaced adequately (Marshall).

Also, lack of leadership in the team - Keogh was that heartbeat and leader. We have nothing now.

3 minutes ago, Mafiabob said:

The spine has broken in the space of 3 seasons

Carson, Keogh, Hudds, Vydra/Martin - all gone and only one very recently replaced adequately (Marshall).

Also, lack of leadership in the team - Keogh was that heartbeat and leader. We have nothing now.

We've had opportunity to sign replacements.

1 minute ago, RoyMac5 said:

We've had opportunity to sign replacements.

Precisely my point we haven’t done so adequately enough, hence where we are 

11 hours ago, RoyMac5 said:

The fact we are poor going forward puts pressure on the defence. The longer a game goes on with us not scoring the more the pressure builds. IMO we are guilty of over complicating the game and mistakes are our downfall so far.

Archived