Abu Derby County

tinman

• Replies 10.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 hours ago, Turk Thrust said:

The difference is that some people don’t want the money because it’s from a country with a poor human rights record but they use petrol from that country. Hypocrites 

And some of us don’t want it and don’t use petrol...but I guess you know me better than I do...

On 30/10/2020 at 13:04, Cocu_Doodle_Do said:

I am just seeing pound signs!!! Someone explain to me why this is not good. Someone who really knows about this guy and his reasonings behind it.

I was going to say that you had more or less answered your own question, in that just as you are only seeing pounds signs, a new owner might only do the same. 

But, on the other hand, we mustn't ignore, as Borat might put it, the make benefit glorious uplifting of generations of working-men, as to be found on the nation's football terraces, reaping the rewards of pound-sign focussed capitalism.

And if we are talking about royalty it will definitely be win-win, because of the degree of grace and munificence that can surely only result from a royal's lifetime of duty and service towards a kingdom and its subjects.

Does nobody else feel that a: it probably won't happen and b: even if it did there's more chance of it turning into a nightmare than a success? 

How many times have "rich" investors come in and basically rogered a club? 

I fear another Fatwaz at best. 

At the end of the day Mel has had his turn, and he can’t continue to invest in the club. He had to get a loan not long back to secure the future of the club. We have been after a new striker for a year and a half, and ended up with Kazim-Richards. We sold Bogle and Lowe for a reported 11 million or more, got a bunch of high earners off the wage bill, and invested less than half back into the squad. We have been playing kids who aren’t ready for first team football, and we are in the bottom 3.

Now I respect those who wish to continue down this route or wait for a knight in shining armor from Derby to rock up on his horse, but I am willing to risk it with the Arabs. People with the wealth of Lional Pickering and Peter Gadsby just isn’t enough in this day and age. Mel is worth 500 million and he can’t afford to invest anymore. He needs his money back.

On 30/10/2020 at 12:39, Marriott Ram99 said:

I'm undecided on this. Mel Morris has the right intentions seems a decent guy but has ultimately been a failure and at the moment the decision he made to appoint Cocu is looking a very bad one and pretty much every decision he has made in hind sight has not worked out. Saying that I'd rather Derby be a terrible league 1 club and atleast be a local team rather than the new Man City with plastic fans, a new stadium full of tourists and crap atmosphere and no local players. Also if the owner has dodgy principles and morals and has middle age ways of treating people then I'd rather be a team that's in league 1 or a rubbish championship side than have some dodgy ducker come in who may equally be unsuccessful, at least Morris has the right intentions. 

I think the UAE has been good at long-term forward planning.

AsI understand it, the UAE kingdoms have been some of the best at using oil revenues to establish a sustainable long term future. And if such principles have been firmly embedded in the mindset of the potential owner, this could serve us well.

Perhaps Pride Park could have the tallest floodlights in the world!

17 minutes ago, GboroRam said:

Does nobody else feel that a: it probably won't happen and b: even if it did there's more chance of it turning into a nightmare than a success? 

If the Newcastle lad is raite then it doesn't look good.

1 hour ago, Pearl Ram said:

I just wonder if the new guy “get’s” the emotional investment people put into being a follower of a club, I believe Mel Morris does, but I suppose there’s a shortage of billionaires in Derby Mel could sell to. 

This might put the tin hat on my time investment in football in general, we’ll see, but I’m not as enthusiastic about all this as some. 

I suspect that emotional attachment caused many of the early mistakes. Frustratingly I think Mel has learnt and is exactly what I want at the club, just happens that he now can't do it financially. .

In a sea of corporate crap,I love the idea of us being locally owned, using our academy. But when we spend more time analysing the finances than the football, that isn't the sport I love.

54 minutes ago, GboroRam said:

Yep.

On 30/10/2020 at 13:35, Carl Sagan said:

I love having a rich local owner and fan who I think is pretty sensible (as far as football owners go) in charge of the club.

For local link lovers, in 2019, the Derby Evening Telegraph listed those with Derby connections on the 2018 Sunday Times Rich List

1. John Kirkland OBE ... president of the Rams 2006 - 2008 ... chairman of Heage-based Bowmer and Kirkland ... worth £530 million.

2. David Clowes ... regularly attends matches home and away ... chairman of Ednaston-based CWC Group ... worth £252 million.

3. Niall Horan ... of One Direction ... worth around £50 million.

4. Mike Ashley (not a fan?!) ... owner of Shirebrook-based Sports Direct ... estimated wealth of £2.437 billion.

5. The article also hedged its bets: "... it is unlikely that there is an endless queue of ... Arab royal family members ... waiting in the wings - but you never know."

2 minutes ago, BriggRam said:

Exactly 

Hold on,an unknown Geordy who knows nothing about Derby,or Mel or especially this deal comes onto the forum to vent his disappointment over his own clubs dealings and all of a sudden,Mel has got it all wrong,the deals all wrong for us and Derby are going to hell?

All this despite,non of us, especially the bloke from Newcastle having any knowledge whatsoever about the deal itself.

C'mon guys.

Archived