Ghost of Clough

Whether you class it as 541, 343 or 523, it doesn't matter - it's here to stay, because it's working. It's giving us the defensive solidity but still allows us to get enough players forward. Our movement on and off the ball also looks better than when we were playing 4231 last season. However, is the squad balanced enough to play this formation every game?

GK: Marshall and Roos. You don't get much better than the two we have at this level.

RCB: te Wierik, Wisdom and Evans have all played this role this season. We have more than enough depth and once they readjust to the role should be good enough as well.

CB: This role suits defenders who're totally dominant in the air and is always the last man - he needs to be there covering behind the other CBs. Davies and Clarke are the only ones I'd like playing here, but Clarke is needed on the left. 

LCB: Clarke will be able to play most games, meaning that Fozzy will be needed for just the odd game. Its probably just about good enough for this season

RWB: Byrne. Wisdom or Holmes at a push? Do we hope that Ebosele or McDonald can make the step up when needed later this season?

LWB: Similar to RWB, we've only really got Buchanan as Fozzy isn't suited to the role and Archie isn't quite ready for the step up.

CM: Knight and Shinnie are clearly first choice at the moment. Bird and Bielik are good competition (albeit with different styles of play), with Holmes and Rooney offering good depth

RW/LW: From our weakest area last season to our strongest area now. Lawrence and Jozwiak are first choice but they know they have strong competition behind them. Ibe, Sibley and Whittaker will all be fighting for their places. Holmes and Knight are also options in an emergency, not forgetting The youths who will be hoping to get a chance.

CF: Waggy, Rooney and Kazim will be enough to see us through to the end of the season, although I wouldn't be surprised if we want more mobile backup to Waggy in January.

So that means we're 3 players short.

Archie and Festy will hopefully be ready to step up next season meaning we're only looking for short term cover/competition for the wing back roles. If we recruit, they must be loans.

If we do stick we 541 then we absolutely must sign a CB in January. Whether that is a central CB or a left sided CB (moving Clarke central) doesn't matter. We'll be needing the other in the summer.

For now we'll most likely have to revert to a back 4 if one of our starting defenders needs a rest or picks up an injury (except at RCB).

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 minutes ago, Ghost of Clough said:

Whether you class it as 541, 343 or 523, it doesn't matter - it's here to stay, because it's working. It's giving us the defensive solidity but still allows us to get enough players forward. Our movement on and off the ball also looks better than when we were playing 4231 last season. However, is the squad balanced enough to play this formation every game?

GK: Marshall and Roos. You don't get much better than the two we have at this level.

RCB: te Wierik, Wisdom and Evans have all played this role this season. We have more than enough depth and once they readjust to the role should be good enough as well.

CB: This role suits defenders who're totally dominant in the air and is always the last man - he needs to be there covering behind the other CBs. Davies and Clarke are the only ones I'd like playing here, but Clarke is needed on the left. 

LCB: Clarke will be able to play most games, meaning that Fozzy will be needed for just the odd game. Its probably just about good enough for this season

RWB: Byrne. Wisdom or Holmes at a push? Do we hope that Ebosele or McDonald can make the step up when needed later this season?

LWB: Similar to RWB, we've only really got Buchanan as Fozzy isn't suited to the role and Archie isn't quite ready for the step up.

CM: Knight and Shinnie are clearly first choice at the moment. Bird and Bielik are good competition (albeit with different styles of play), with Holmes and Rooney offering good depth

RW/LW: From our weakest area last season to our strongest area now. Lawrence and Jozwiak are first choice but they know they have strong competition behind them. Ibe, Sibley and Whittaker will all be fighting for their places. Holmes and Knight are also options in an emergency, not forgetting The youths who will be hoping to get a chance.

CF: Waggy, Rooney and Kazim will be enough to see us through to the end of the season, although I wouldn't be surprised if we want more mobile backup to Waggy in January.

Archie and Festy will hopefully be ready to step up next season meaning we're only looking for short term cover/competition for the wing back roles. If we recruit, they must be loans.

If we do stick we 541 then we absolutely must sign a CB in January. Whether that is a central CB or a left sided CB (moving Clarke central) doesn't matter. We'll be needing the other in the summer.

For now we'll most likely have to revert to a back 4 if one of our starting defenders needs a rest or picks up an injury (except at RCB).

I was thinking Bielik as CB turning more into a ball playing sweeper?

4 minutes ago, Ghost of Clough said:

54321........feel a song coming on....

Just now, Ghost of Clough said:

Its definitely helped us to look more secure at the back but think its a temporary formation whilst we eke out some results, get some confidence & wait for the returning players to get matchfit. Suspect it will be changed in November when on paper, our schedule looks a bit easier.

It'd be a waste playing 5-4-1 (or 3-4-3 as it ends up being) when we've got everyone back...too many defenders on the pitch. Bielik is key to this as his ability to drop into the back 4 would enable Buchanan & Byrne to remain as attacking full backs. My preference would be a 4-2-3-1 with Bielik & Bird sitting and a very mobile 3 (any 3 of Lawrence, Ibe, Jozwiak, Sibley, Knight & possibly Duncan too) behind a CF. Suspect Cocu will want to go 4-3-3 though.

Re Ebosele, whats the latest on his injury? I thought he looked very close to first team material v Chelsea under 23s

I agree that this is providing a solid base for us to hopefully kick on. Long term I’d like to see us develop towards the following...

Marshall

Byrne         Wisdom         Clarke     Buchanan 

Bird              Knight

Sibley

jozwiak              Waghorn              Lawrence

You have Bielik who can play instead of Davies if we go with a back 5, or instead of Bird, Knight too. Whittaker and Ibe to come in for Jozwiak or Lawrence and all of a sudden we have the makings of a very good attacking side with options to change the game. 

2 hours ago, Ghost of Clough said:

I think 541 (although I do think it's more a 523/343) will be somewhat temporary. As @LeedsCityRamalluded to we've got a lot of talent elsewhere to be playing with 3 centre backs. 

Whilst Davies has been necessary in order to steady the ship we probably do need to move past him eventually. Both in terms of having a back 4 again and having the ability to better control the game in possession. Last year I think Wisdom and Clarke showed enough that they could form a decent pairing at the back. Byrne looks good defensively to me. Buchanan  is good in the air and growing defensively. So with the right midfield cover and balance I see no reason to stick with a back 3/5 long term.

I think as the season progresses we will see a shift to a 433, we have the players for it now and I think it would allow us to play a better game. However I expect we will be using 3/5 at the back for a good few games yet and then will use it again in select matches later in the season.

2 hours ago, Ghost of Clough said:

Bang on - I was about to make a similar thread. I class it as a 3-4-3 and I certainly want it to stay.

My main question is if Bielik would be the Middle CB or the CM next to Knight.

I'm starting to think the Middle CB now with this formation. 

Think he would be brilliant, then as a CDM in the 4231 when we tactically swap to a back 4 like last night.

Another interesting development will be the battle for the RW when Ibe is fully fit. 

I also believe if we continue to play this - it could open the door for Sibley to be sold.

3 minutes ago, Ramarena said:

Interesting that no one mentions Shinnie in their teams moving forward.

In this division players like Shinnie are crucial I don’t think he’ll be so easy to displace if he keeps up his current form!

Agreed. It will be interesting to see how Bielik will be slotted in. Had thought he would be in midfield but perhaps part of the back 3. I would stick with this formation as it suits our full backs and plays to their strengths. Great that the likes of Sibley and Ibe will really have to fight for a starting place. Things are looking a lot more positive for the future, strength in depth and lots of competition for starting places....

Just now, Ramarena said:

Interesting that no one mentions Shinnie in their teams moving forward.

In this division players like Shinnie are crucial I don’t think he’ll be so easy to displace if he keeps up his current form!

I'll have a stab at elucidating why I think people are leaving him out. It's essentially for the same reason as Davies both are necessary for now to make sure we are hard to beat but do limit us on the ball a bit. 

Shinnie's defensive work and energy are stellar there is no debating that. He's mostly tidy on the ball but he's a slow at moving the ball on at times and I don't think he creates passing angles for other players well enough which both effect how well you can control a game.

You could see some of this coming to the fore yesterday, particular after half time. It was the time where we could have done with keeping the ball a bit and trying to take control of the game. But with the midfield balance we couldn't really do it until we brought on Holmes (hence why we got back on top).

Davies, Clarke, Wisdom, Te Weirik, Evans, Bielik and you still think we need another CB? Is that not a first team player and cover in each position? I actually think Te Weirik coming in for Davies will be a good way to bring him back into the side in the near future. He struggled in a back 4, yes, but as the stopper in a back 3/5 there's a bit less we're asking of him in terms of the pace element of this league, which is where he has struggled. Good way to get him used to the pace of the league.

As for wing backs, let's not say for sure that our youngsters aren't ready, because you don't know that. In recent years our young players have surprised us time and again. Only a few weeks ago people did not believe Buchanan was up to standard yet here he is.

Fozzy has been a LW in his career. He's 100% suited to LWB, I'm not sure what basis that comment is made upon. Holmes, Wisdom, Shinnie, even Lawrence would all suit wing back positions in a pinch because the role is very open and free and what the position looks like depends on who is there. The great thing about this formation is the creative freedom of the wing backs. Almost anyone with the physical attributes can do it because it's not a rigid position at all. Jason Knight would be a terrific wing back if he wasn't such a superb central midfielder.

Your post was a positive one and it was still too negative for my liking!

I’d score each of the above, exactly opposite.

RWB - byrne has settled in very well. we can’t really rely on wisdom at centre back if we have to shift him to cover for injury at right back.I would therefore favour other options .Ebosele looks to have the ability but is now injured. McDonald was impressive in the u23s yesterday. Te wierik is also an option So I think we just about have enough.

LWB - Buchanan is doing very well. I thought he had more potential than Lowe because the latter always seems to need a kick up the backside. The things he was reluctant to do - get back quickly, get to the bye line - Buchanan does naturally. However we really needed both. Archie brown is getting to the point where he might benefit from a brief taste of first team action in order to progress to the next level. Fozzy has been a great player for us and can fill in if required. Again, I would say we just about have enough. 

LCB - Clarke has not looked as good as last season. Not sure why. And he’s not ours. I don’t see Fozzy as a safe option and there is no-one knocking on the door at u23s. So I’d say we were a bit short in this position.

RCB - can anyone make this position their own? Te wierik was found wanting. Wisdom is generally ok but switches off. Evans is learning a new position and Is doing well despite the stick he gets but he needs to be play alongside Davies to be talked through games. So no-one has really commanded the position.

CH or sweeper - Davies is showing his value, just as he did when keogh injured himself. His experience is vital but his passing seems to be getting even worse. He put one straight into touch yesterday, when attempting a 10 yard pass to wisdom. A young mark wright would absolutely fantastic For us right now. A centre half who can stride forward beckenbauer style. I’m not quite sure with our three at the back who is meant to attack the ball and who acts as sweeper. It’s a bit of a mixed bag. Against Blackburn, Te wierik, Evans, and wisdom on the left was an absolute shambles. It’s the weakest part of the team.

10 minutes ago, brady1993 said:

I'll have a stab at elucidating why I think people are leaving him out. It's essentially for the same reason as Davies both are necessary for now to make sure we are hard to beat but do limit us on the ball a bit. 

Shinnie's defensive work and energy are stellar there is no debating that. He's mostly tidy on the ball but he's a slow at moving the ball on at times and I don't think he creates passing angles for other players well enough which both effect how well you can control a game.

You could see some of this coming to the fore yesterday, particular after half time. It was the time where we could have done with keeping the ball a bit and trying to take control of the game. But with the midfield balance we couldn't really do it until we brought on Holmes (hence why we got back on top).

Fair points although in this division you will be punished if you don’t have those types of players in your side, as we’ve found out recently!

We’ll see how Beilik does as he’s a talented player but I still see Shinnie being needed more often than not unless we can replace him with a similar but better player!

The trouble with switching formation mid way through the season is that you’ve recruited all summer long for a different system. Can leave you with an unbalanced squad. That said, while I dislike 541 with two CDM’s more than any other formation in football, I actually quite like a 343, which is more what we played last night with Shinnie and Knight as more offensive CM’s. Got no problem if we want to stick with that long term. My assessment of squad depth FWIW:

GK - Marshall is a quality first choice. Roos is a good backup. There’s a potential concern in that we don’t have a senior third choice. Might be worth signing a cheap older goalkeeper just in case.

RB - Problem area for me. Byrne is ok, but I’m a little unconvinced by him defensively. Wisdom the opposite, strong defensively, but a bit slow to play the wing back role. I’d look to rebuild this position totally.

CB - Te Weirik, Bielik and Clarke would be a top class unit imo when all fit and firing. Davies is good backup. Wisdom is also ok cover. But with playing three players there now, we need more options. Need to sign more cover here.

LB - Buchanan is a quality first choice. Forsyth is good experienced cover. We’re ok here now that Buchanan has proven himself.

CM - Plenty of quality options here. Bird is top drawer, so is Shinnie. Knight is another good option, Rooney still has a bit of magic sometimes, and Sibley has massive potential. Got Evans as further cover too. More than well stocked here.

LW - We know the quality Lawrence brings when he’s available. Just hope he cuts out the stupid suspensions. Jozwiak also looks alright on this side as well. Plenty of good options here.

RW - Ibe will be a class above when fit imo. Holmes is decent cover. Happy here as well.

ST - Lacking a good first choice. Both Waghorn and CKR are good options, but neither have that extra bit of quality go replace Martin. Remains the key position for a new signing.

So in January we need:

First choice ST, another RB option, CB cover, and maybe one extra emergency goalkeeper.

2 minutes ago, Ramarena said:

Fair points although in this division you will be punished if you don’t have those types of players in your side, as we’ve found out recently!

We’ll see how Beilik does as he’s a talented player but I still see Shinnie being needed more often than not unless we can replace him with a similar but better player!

I think you certainly can be punished, especially if you have issues elsewhere or if you've not really ironed out how you play. For example the peak 13/14 midfield of Thorne, Hughes and Bryson didn't really have that player. Albeit all 3 you can argue had overlapping attributes with Shinnie and that for me is the real key.

I'm not sure whether it will ultimately be Bielik that replaces him to be honest I have a sneaky feeling that when they are ready for it our best midfield will be Bird, Sibley and Knight.

Shinnie is for sure a good player to have in the squad though and rightfully deserves his place at the moment.

6 minutes ago, Millenniumram said:

The trouble with switching formation mid way through the season is that you’ve recruited all summer long for a different system. Can leave you with an unbalanced squad. That said, while I dislike 541 with two CDM’s more than any other formation in football, I actually quite like a 343, which is more what we played last night with Shinnie and Knight as more offensive CM’s. Got no problem if we want to stick with that long term. My assessment of squad depth FWIW:

GK - Marshall is a quality first choice. Roos is a good backup. There’s a potential concern in that we don’t have a senior third choice. Might be worth signing a cheap older goalkeeper just in case.

RB - Problem area for me. Byrne is ok, but I’m a little unconvinced by him defensively. Wisdom the opposite, strong defensively, but a bit slow to play the wing back role. I’d look to rebuild this position totally.

CB - Te Weirik, Bielik and Clarke would be a top class unit imo when all fit and firing. Davies is good backup. Wisdom is also ok cover. But with playing three players there now, we need more options. Need to sign more cover here.

LB - Buchanan is a quality first choice. Forsyth is good experienced cover. We’re ok here now that Buchanan has proven himself.

CM - Plenty of quality options here. Bird is top drawer, so is Shinnie. Knight is another good option, Rooney still has a bit of magic sometimes, and Sibley has massive potential. Got Evans as further cover too. More than well stocked here.

LW - We know the quality Lawrence brings when he’s available. Just hope he cuts out the stupid suspensions. Jozwiak also looks alright on this side as well. Plenty of good options here.

RW - Ibe will be a class above when fit imo. Holmes is decent cover. Happy here as well.

ST - Lacking a good first choice. Both Waghorn and CKR are good options, but neither have that extra bit of quality go replace Martin. Remains the key position for a new signing.

So in January we need:

First choice ST, another RB option, CB cover, and maybe one extra emergency goalkeeper.

Depends on injuries through the season and where we stand in January, but I would be surprised if we have funds to bring 4 players in..

3 minutes ago, Jimbo Ram said:

Depends on injuries through the season and where we stand in January, but I would be surprised if we have funds to bring 4 players in..

Depends whether we get some additional investment in. Though to be fair, it’s only really 3 players, and only one would be a fairly expensive first choice.

Archived