Best inventions of the modern era..

Angry Ram

The buzzer on a lino’s Flag. 

It ensures that the ref doesn’t need to keep looking over to the touch line and can concentrate on the action in and around the six yard box. This in turn ensures nothing gets missed, correct decisions are made, and everybody feels justly satisfied, come the end of the game. 

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, EtoileSportiveDeDerby said:

Correct the internet was pre 90. WWW was post 90. Sir Tim Berners Lee first web page was in 91. Image if he had licensed how rich would this man be ?

The story of the internet began with email. The first commercial public use of the internet was through emails, and it happened in 1989. This was when MCI Mail and Compuserve kicked off their email servers, connecting around 500,000 users to begin with. In that same year, Tim Berners-Lee and his team act CERN invented the World Wide Web, which is what we still use today whenever we launch an internet browser. However, the true birth of the internet happened at the very start of 1983.

Read more: https://metro.co.uk/2018/03/22/when-was-the-internet-invented-7408002/?ito=cbshare
??‍♂️

1 hour ago, Angry Ram said:

The story of the internet began with email. The first commercial public use of the internet was through emails, and it happened in 1989. This was when MCI Mail and Compuserve kicked off their email servers, connecting around 500,000 users to begin with. In that same year, Tim Berners-Lee and his team act CERN invented the World Wide Web, which is what we still use today whenever we launch an internet browser. However, the true birth of the internet happened at the very start of 1983.

Read more: https://metro.co.uk/2018/03/22/when-was-the-internet-invented-7408002/?ito=cbshare
??‍♂️

Since we are onto computing history, the precursor to the internet is much earlier, google ARPANET if you are not familiar.

My old next door neighbour who was in IT all his life and started work on it in the 60/70's used to collect the magazine Computer weekly. He told  me that in one of the first editions on the front page there was an article which said the Great Britain would only ever need 3 computers. 1 for the armed forces, 1 for tax office (!) and 1 for the government. Nowadays some us carry 3 in our pockets!

17 hours ago, Mostyn6 said:

MP3 players

Digital Media

Nandos

I won't give you Nandos. Average value money for average food. You could get a good curry and naan/rice for the same price. Or same average chicken and chips for less than half price and a normal fried chicken shop.

16 hours ago, Mostyn6 said:

you don't think being able to take your whole music collection everywhere with you in your pocket is a good thing?

Similarly, Digital Photography for example, being able to send pics via email etc. Can you remember having to select grainy reprints after dropping off rolls of film not knowing how the photo will turn out, and only being able to take 24 pics per film??

And don't forget TV. Stacks of amazing TV (and films) at your fingertips for less than a Nandos!

It's not that long ago when there was about 0.5 good things on TV at once. Then you had to pay a fortune for Sky if you wanted the big shows.

Whilst I love having all my music available in a portable way, I was pretty content with a walkman/discman and carrying round 3-4 albums I would listen to to death. It's arguably better for really getting into the music.

Having infinite tv shows is more life changing. Repeat viewing of the same content is not a factor.

Good shout of the photos though. During lockdown got all the photos onto a new gmail address that the kids can have forever too.

Archived