Best inventions of the modern era..

Angry Ram

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It’s going to be graphene and its ilk.

physics meets chemistry. Way beyond my understanding at anything but the most casual level;  but to make materials on a nano level will mean batteries actually work and store useful energy and be charged rapidly, biological implants  can be made, tissue grown. The link between natural and man made. what these things will do and what this science makes in the next 100 years will be jaw dropping. 120 years ago we had balloons, horse drawn carriages and cable messages sent on a wire via morse code. Houses were lit by gas. its going to be amazing 

but for now, the cell phone; available to all at an affordable price. It has changing the way we live beyond belief. 

Snack size Scotch Eggs.

We all love scotch eggs but sometimes you don't want to eat a whole one. Miracle upon miracles someone invents the smaller one.

Why can't people small sausages or small sausages?

Come on UK food manufacturers, pull your socks up.

1 minute ago, sage said:

Snack size Scotch Eggs.

We all love scotch eggs but sometimes you don't want to eat a whole one. Miracle upon miracles someone invents the smaller one.

Why can't people small sausages or small sausages?

Come on UK food manufacturers, pull your socks up.

You don't have cocktail sausages in Belper?

Brilliant thread, @Angry Ram. The internet (as has been said by @EtoileSportiveDeDerby) is much longer ago that the 1990s beginning with Arpanet. The Queen was sending emails in 1976! https://www.wired.com/2012/12/queen-and-the-internet/

The web was amazing, and has changed the world which is now divided between those who remember a world before it and those that don't and can't possibly comprehend what it was like, not to have the sum of all Human knowledge instantly accessible at your fingertips (or spoken command).

What will change the future?

Reusable rockets and electric autonomous vehicles will be massive, but of equal or more long-term importance will be the invention of the blockchain, created to support the people's money, aka Bitcoin. It was a solution to a problem that few realized we had. It was potentially the most dangerous invention ever, overthrowing the global financial system, so its inventor went by the alias Satoshi Nakamoto and has never been identified.

Further ahead, the most transformative invention will be Superintelligence, a runaway intelligence explosion where Humans are left far behind and our future is placed into the hands of intelligences we created but cannot control. We talk about this moment as The Singularity, after which predicting the future becomes impossible.

5 hours ago, Carl Sagan said:

Brilliant thread, @Angry Ram. The internet (as has been said by @EtoileSportiveDeDerby) is much longer ago that the 1990s beginning with Arpanet. The Queen was sending emails in 1976! https://www.wired.com/2012/12/queen-and-the-internet/

The web was amazing, and has changed the world which is now divided between those who remember a world before it and those that don't and can't possibly comprehend what it was like, not to have the sum of all Human knowledge instantly accessible at your fingertips (or spoken command).

Reusable rockets and electric autonomous vehicles will be massive, but of equal or more long-term importance will be the invention of the blockchain, created to support the people's money, aka Bitcoin. It was a solution to a problem that few realized we had. It was potentially the most dangerous invention ever, overthrowing the global financial system, so its inventor went by the alias Satoshi Nakamoto and has never been identified.

Further ahead, the most transformative invention will be Superintelligence, a runaway intelligence explosion where Humans are left far behind and our future is placed into the hands of intelligences we created but cannot control. We talk about this moment as The Singularity, after which predicting the future becomes impossible.

You need to be stopped.

5 hours ago, Carl Sagan said:

We already have ‘super intelligence’. She is just getting me a cup of tea. ? She can also see up to 6 months in the future as well. Apparently it involves a lot of ‘jobs’.

1 hour ago, Beetroot said:

You need to be stopped.

It’s ok .. Brian Clough will get sent forward in time (fully clothed ) to protect a future Mel Morris and make sure The evil EFL and SkyNet never gets switched on. Football will return to Saturday afternoons with un recorded only match of the day to watch. And tough luck that your team doesn’t get picked for high lights. 

4 hours ago, Beetroot said:

You need to be stopped.

If you mean regarding over something like Superintelligence, I don't disagree to a point. The issue is that economic forces are leading us inexorably down that route and it seems impossible to stop. If you accept that, then the question becomes how to ensure it has good outcomes for Humanity rather than leading to our extinction. As you're probably aware, this is a very hard problem (the control problem), but if we can solve it, it could lead to a future more glorious that we can imagine.

I helped create this (unfinished) fable to make the questions raised a little more accessible:

On 24/10/2020 at 19:39, uttoxram75 said:

How come no fecker ever told you that you'd need to trim your nose and ears once you passed 45?

I can remember discovering this for the first time...I was in a lift in Munich the night before the 5-0 game...I turned around to check out my beautiful self in the mirror before hitting the town to be greeted with a hair sticking out my nose about the size of the Alan Biley....I grabbed it and removed it...and have being doing so ever since....

Archived