Get the basics sorted

FindernRam

Last night really highlighted how poor Derby are at doing even the simplest things.

Corners and crosses were hit way over everyone. Free kicks seemed to go anywhere, Lawrence couldn't even keep it on the pitch and Bird just gave it to competion. I can't comment on shooting because there wasn't enough to rate.

Pass completion was dreadful even when there was no particular pressure on the deliverer.

Just what do these players do in training, play cards!

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The shooting in particular is poor. 

Scuffed shots, wild shots with head back sailing over the bar and, in one on ones, shots straight at the keeper. 

Who, from the current team, would you back to score before a game? 

I'm struggling to think of more than two. 

That's not a recipe for success. 

1 minute ago, FindernRam said:

Last night really highlighted how poor Derby are at doing even the simplest things.

Corners and crosses were hit way over everyone. Free kicks seemed to go anywhere, Lawrence couldn't even keep it on the pitch and Bird just gave it to competion. I can't comment on shooting because there wasn't enough to rate.

Pass completion was dreadful even when there was no particular pressure on the deliverer.

Agree re crossing, corners etc it is woeful. I am trying to stay supportive thinking of the post-christmas period but it is very very hard isnt it when you dissect things like that 

Set pieces were absolutely awful, I just cant work out what the plan was?

Tom Lawrence smashed his corners so far that the only person who could have done anything was the invisible man beyond the  back post, if we dont put someone there, why hit so long? That's tactical rather than Tom taking a poor corner.

Max Bird, what the jesus Mary and Joseph was he doing last night? Poor lad can have and off day on the pitch, but set pieces are the basics for a football player that has kicked a ball all their life. It's like a mechanic changing a spark plug on a car for the 100th time and forgetting how to do it as he hadnt practised for the last month, rubbish!

These are the things that concern me about Cocus tenure, are these issues his doing because he is tactically inept, or is there something more sinister at play? I mean we had 5 corners and at least 10 free kicks (across the park) and I dont recall any of them creating a chance.

It really is very worrying.

1 hour ago, MackworthRamIsGod said:

These are the things that concern me about Cocus tenure, are these issues his doing because he is tactically inept, or is there something more sinister at play?

A neighbour of mine, even more cynical than me, thinks the players want rid of Cocu and are deliberately messing up. Don't believe myself but something is seriously awry at the club.

9 minutes ago, FindernRam said:

A neighbour of mine, even more cynical than me, thinks the players want rid of Cocu and are deliberately messing up. Don't believe myself but something is seriously awry at the club.

The thoughts of professional footballers deliberately making mistakes to get their boss sacked is so far fetched and I would never have believed it.

But, either those set pieces last night really were just that bad and those players were just that poor, or it was on purpose? As I say, Tom hitting the corners so far knowing there was no one there, absolutely unforgivable.

The thing is, sacking Cocu would cost the club millions, installing Rooney as manager would be a ridiculous move in my opinion, so if the players were trying to engineer his sacking, no sure what that would achieve?

The fact remains, we have won 1 this season, against a very poor Norwich and lost 5 against some fairly average opposition. We failed to score against Barrow, in pre-season I think we failed to win and the form towards the end of last season was abysmal.

It can't all be on Cocu.

1 hour ago, FindernRam said:

Lack of confidence probably. The mental element is so important. Mistake piles upon mistake, loss piles upon loss, woe piles upon woe.

Woe is us.

3 minutes ago, DC-1975 said:

Very harsh, he's a human not a robot.

A golfer can have a day when they can't stop slicing the ball. Next day hit everything straight.

A cricketer can bowl wides without knowing why. Next day take 5 wickets.

These things happen in sport. They should just have let someone else take the corners

It is harsh on Bird and you are right, he is human and a bloody good player.

Just very frustrating last night.

I expect there will be a reaction on Friday and Bird and Tom will be in top form.

This is exactly what I’ve been saying. It’s almost like the players aren’t even being coached. Literally have no idea what to do in the final third. It’s not even just the set pieces, which had me tearing my hair out, but it’s everything else as well. There’s almost no movement from anyone, no urgency to get forward, no pace in our passing, and we seem to have absolutely no idea how to create anything. 

It’s almost like there’s no attacking plan at all. Now as far as I can see, there are two explanations for that - either Cocu is a terrible coach, or the players aren’t listening to him anymore. I’d wager it’s the second option, but either way up, it doesn’t bode well for Cocu. Think his time is very nearly up looking at the players body language. They don’t seem to be playing for him anymore, no matter what Mel might say in the press.

I think they’re playing for him and some of the play has actually been decent, including last night 

We just seem to miss every half chance and then concede on their only out and out opportunity 

Seems the same every game, we never convert the half chances

Why we can’t take a decent corner or set piece is beyond me. These are professional footballers getting paid a ludicrous amount of money and the ball ends up near the opposite corner flag over everybody’s head. 
We must be the worlds experts in how not to to it. 
Set plays are part and parcel of the game. If we can’t do that we may as well prepare for League 2 never mind 1. 

Archived