What do we know about the recruitment team?

4 minutes ago, David said:

This, this, this, this, this.

Had he been Barry Bugger with 30 years experience at Man Utd it wouldn’t be an issue, but as he’s connected to Mel it’s nepotism, yet our academy signings have actually been pretty good.
Not sure they can be criticised, but you know, it’s hard to admit that when we’re looking for people to blame.

It is nepotism 

just because Simon Clough did a good job doesn’t mean it wasn’t nepotism 

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, David said:

Look at his job description, how do you rate the signings for the academy during his time at the club?

nepotism

/ˈnɛpətɪz(ə)m/

Learn to pronounce

noun

the practice among those with power or influence of favouring relatives or friends, especially by giving them jobs.

Good job or not, it is nepotism.

2 minutes ago, cannable said:

nepotism

/ˈnɛpətɪz(ə)m/

Learn to pronounce

noun

the practice among those with power or influence of favouring relatives or friends, especially by giving them jobs.

Good job or not, it is nepotism.

That’s not true, if he’s doing a good job then it doesn’t matter who he knows to put him that position.

Out of all our recruitment, the academy signings have been some of our best so maybe he is there on merit.

If we had been poor at signing emerging talent yet continued as we are I could understand where you’re coming from.

Forget the first team, that’s not his role, how do you view our academy signings?

Just now, David said:

That’s not true, if he’s doing a good job then it doesn’t matter who he knows to put him that position.

Out of all our recruitment, the academy signings have been some of our best so maybe he is there on merit.

If we had been poor at signing emerging talent yet continued as we are I could understand where you’re coming from.

Forget the first team, that’s not his role, how do you view our academy signings?

you’re right.

mel is so astute. he could have head-hunted anyone  but it just so happened that the best person for the job was actually his own son in law who had no previous experience. 

1 minute ago, RamNut said:

you’re right.

mel is so astute. he could have head-hunted anyone  but it just so happened that the best person for the job was actually his own son in law who had no previous experience. 

Ok, I’ll ask again, has our academy recruitment been poor in recent years?

29 minutes ago, David said:

Ok, I’ll ask again, has our academy recruitment been poor in recent years?

There’s a lot of players who’ve been prolific at u23 level and not successful even in league 2 I wouldn’t be counting JHI yet unless the only goal is to try to win the u23s division... ebosele is even further away. Look at Hepburn Murphy who came on loan, great youth record. 

Big question mark over bogle is a) was it him or one of the team that made that call and b) as it stands it could be a one off fluke (There has been other youth signings less successful such as max hunt)

Like you said credit where it’s deserved regardless of cv, but ultimately at best he’s got one success story in his ENTIRE CAREER whereas someone coming from another club with a track record where you can say it is definitely more judgment than luck (I appreciate there’s always a bit of luck).

But with the nepotism point he ain’t getting sacked so we will see over a longer period whether he was the right choice or not. But he was never a logical, sensible or safe bet for the role

6 hours ago, DontTrustTheDevilInside said:

There’s a lot of players who’ve been prolific at u23 level and not successful even in league 2 I wouldn’t be counting JHI yet unless the only goal is to try to win the u23s division... ebosele is even further away. Look at Hepburn Murphy who came on loan, great youth record. 

Big question mark over bogle is a) was it him or one of the team that made that call and b) as it stands it could be a one off fluke (There has been other youth signings less successful such as max hunt)

Like you said credit where it’s deserved regardless of cv, but ultimately at best he’s got one success story in his ENTIRE CAREER whereas someone coming from another club with a track record where you can say it is definitely more judgment than luck (I appreciate there’s always a bit of luck).

But with the nepotism point he ain’t getting sacked so we will see over a longer period whether he was the right choice or not. But he was never a logical, sensible or safe bet for the role

Also people quoting Brentford (who I do admire), but at present is there a player who's been sold by them who as improved after they left? 

26 minutes ago, SIXTEEN AGAIN said:

Also people quoting Brentford (who I do admire), but at present is there a player who's been sold by them who as improved after they left? 

Headline making forwards... less so...

A lot of the more defensive players such as tarkowski do. Konsa and Egan are premier league regulars

and some go to poor performing teams but are reliable players such as Watford with their managing carousel. Or championship clubs such as sawyers (now promoted), Bentley or dean

maupay did well considering Brighton aren’t prolific going forward.

51 minutes ago, SIXTEEN AGAIN said:

But I wouldn't care if every player we sold did not go on to greatness at other clubs....as long as they play well for us...and Brentford do find players that play well for them....just to add though after scrapping there youth set up /academy they then put more money into recruitment and this appears to work for them but the downside is no academy ...we do have a decent academy that hopefully will  carry on producing some first team players and generate income

I suspect in the modern game recruitment teams spend much of their time pouring over statistics for individual players rather than the archetypal image of a scout with a flat cap and a raincoat stood on a wet terrace at Yeovil on a Tuesday evening.

Think Brentford’s ‘moneyball’ system. What you WOULD need are people who can crunch data and understand statistics, and assess the best players for any perceived gaps the manager might have.

9 hours ago, Carnero said:

The "our recruitment is crap (full stop) and oh look Mel's step son just happens to be on the recruitment team... nepotism!" narrative.

Idly lumping all player recruitment into the one basket and completely ignoring the fact that he seems to be heading the most successful part of the club's talent identification & recruitment operations.

Can’t argue with that.

In fact, if Harry is doing a good job, as it seems he is (or at least his area of the business is and, as head, he takes responsibility/credit for its results) you could say the appointment demonstrates very good judgment from Mel. To appoint someone with so little experience or evidence of ability on his CV can’t have been easy even if it is your step son (unless he gave him the job based on blind faith). Either way, there doesn’t seem to be any grounds for criticism of either Mel or Harry.

1 hour ago, DontTrustTheDevilInside said:

Headline making forwards... less so...

A lot of the more defensive players such as tarkowski do. Konsa and Egan are premier league regulars

and some go to poor performing teams but are reliable players such as Watford with their managing carousel. Or championship clubs such as sawyers (now promoted), Bentley or dean

maupay did well considering Brighton aren’t prolific going forward.

True, although Tarkowski is a weird one i remember discussing with a friend back in 2012/3 he looked a decent player in the making and then went off the radar at Brentford early on.

I suppose he is the current definition of a slow burner, also wouldn't say Bentley or Dean are at the level above Brentford are at present.

Maybe Stuart Dallas?

Sawyers is a peculiar situation as i don't think money ball played a part in his recruitment, as Dean Smith had him at Walsall.

Joe McClaren

Experience

Chief Scout

Derby County Football Club

Nov 2016 – Present3 years 11 months

National Emerging Talent Scout

Southampton Football Club

Jul 2015 – Nov 20161 year 5 months

Scouting and leading a team with the objective of identifying top emerging talents from U15 to 1st team level.

Senior Scout

Derby County Football Club

Jan 2014 – Jun 20151 year 6 months

Scouting Coordinator and Senior Scout covering UK and Europe.

Lead Technical Scout

FC Twente

Jan 2012 – Dec 20132 years

enschede area, netherlands

My role included;
- Creating a monthly report on a European league on request of the Technical Director/Chief Scout.
- Watching individual games to monitor the progress of players we are interested in and spotting new talents.
- Providing the Chief Scout with a first impression on tips received from scouts and agents.
- Creating player video compilations and statistics to show in weekly scouting meetings.
- Keeping 1st team coaches up to date with interesting players and...

Show more

Performance Analysis Intern

Nottingham Forest FC

Jul 2011 – Sep 20113 months

Nottingham, United Kingdom

- Film games and training.
- Provide 1st team analysis
- Provide opposition analysis
- Create player scouting compilations

Graduate Teaching Assistant

Yarm Preparatory School

Aug 2010 – Jul 20111 year