What do we know about the recruitment team?

2 hours ago, Van Rammeister said:

I suspect in the modern game recruitment teams spend much of their time pouring over statistics for individual players rather than the archetypal image of a scout with a flat cap and a raincoat stood on a wet terrace at Yeovil on a Tuesday evening.

Think Brentford’s ‘moneyball’ system. What you WOULD need are people who can crunch data and understand statistics, and assess the best players for any perceived gaps the manager might have.

They aren’t going to publish their successful algorithms and sell them off. You still need good footballing people who’ve been in the industry and know what they are looking for from past experience computers are only as good as the idiots who program them. Even the old flat cap types would choose which wet terrace they’d stand on using stats and other evidence. Like any business 50% skill, 50% pure effort and hard miles... or a slightly adapted ratio particularly when you factor how well you utilise technology to do some of the graft.

1 hour ago, SIXTEEN AGAIN said:

True, although Tarkowski is a weird one i remember discussing with a friend back in 2012/3 he looked a decent player in the making and then went off the radar at Brentford early on.

I suppose he is the current definition of a slow burner, also wouldn't say Bentley or Dean are at the level above Brentford are at present.

Maybe Stuart Dallas?

Sawyers is a peculiar situation as i don't think money ball played a part in his recruitment, as Dean Smith had him at Walsall.

Think those are the better defensive players... otherwise you end up with mad David Luiz types. Look at van dijk , slowly moved through divisions. Wasn’t scouted as a world class defender at 17. Some also haven’t had the best of luck with injuries or breakthroughs e.g. mepham. A big factor in a young player becoming successful in a move to the prem is whether either a) there is a real gap in the team at the point of signing (Maupay fits that bracket) or b) the player they are brought in to add support/competition either gets injured or goes through a bad run of form or gets sold (tarkowski had a massive period of this at Burnley behind mee and Keane)

2 hours ago, S8TY said:

But I wouldn't care if every player we sold did not go on to greatness at other clubs....as long as they play well for us...and Brentford do find players that play well for them....just to add though after scrapping there youth set up /academy they then put more money into recruitment and this appears to work for them but the downside is no academy ...we do have a decent academy that hopefully will  carry on producing some first team players and generate income

I think the scrapping the youth set up is a bit of a fudge in comparison to Derby. The Will Hughes, sibley and bird types wouldn’t happen in Brentford but that was more a geographical thing. The cost of land and salaries in London to run an academy set up from young ages to pro vs the realistic likelihood of success with very little in the way of protecting star players at that level and so much competition from clubs within such a small radius.

What Brentford still do and heavily utilise is ‘youth recruitment’ just heavily backloaded at 16-18 and run them through an u23s system. So the bogle, Hendrick and hector ingram style ‘academy products’ we credit our academy with would still happen in an ‘academy less’ club like Brentford

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply
15 minutes ago, Rambalin said:

Joe McClaren

Experience

Chief Scout

Derby County Football Club

Nov 2016 – Present3 years 11 months

National Emerging Talent Scout

Southampton Football Club

Jul 2015 – Nov 20161 year 5 months

Scouting and leading a team with the objective of identifying top emerging talents from U15 to 1st team level.

Senior Scout

Derby County Football Club

Jan 2014 – Jun 20151 year 6 months

Scouting Coordinator and Senior Scout covering UK and Europe.

Lead Technical Scout

FC Twente

Jan 2012 – Dec 20132 years

enschede area, netherlands

My role included;
- Creating a monthly report on a European league on request of the Technical Director/Chief Scout.
- Watching individual games to monitor the progress of players we are interested in and spotting new talents.
- Providing the Chief Scout with a first impression on tips received from scouts and agents.
- Creating player video compilations and statistics to show in weekly scouting meetings.
- Keeping 1st team coaches up to date with interesting players and...

Show more

Performance Analysis Intern

Nottingham Forest FC

Jul 2011 – Sep 20113 months

Nottingham, United Kingdom

- Film games and training.
- Provide 1st team analysis
- Provide opposition analysis
- Create player scouting compilations

Graduate Teaching Assistant

Yarm Preparatory School

Aug 2010 – Jul 20111 year

Yarm

There’s no doubt he’s had a footballing pedigree he got that from his dad alone. More a case of has he earned the jobs from pure talent or his dads influence and if he’s prolific and knowledgable would other clubs not want to try and steal him from us being still relatively young but with quite a lot of experience in the game. How many of those jobs were a bit of a fudge by his dad (majority former clubs of his dad in periods near to when he worked there)? Has he not tried to go somewhere to break the proverbial daddy’s boy mould.

Personally I don’t have an issue with mclaren as a scout and think he could be quite good... not overly convinced pairing him with someone so inexperienced is the right call or making him such a senior role is the right call either. He obviously impressed the hierarchy at some point just not sure how with some of the dross we have signed.

11 minutes ago, Rambalin said:

I did but I also know that what is written there is correct and luckily it is all in one place. 

How do you know it's correct as a matter of interest? Not that I've knowingly stretched the truth slightly in some of my statements on my LinkedIn profile of course ?

Archived