What do we know about the recruitment team?

5 minutes ago, cannable said:

Yeah it’s his step-son.

I suppose you can’t quantify with coaching badges et al whether somebody just ‘gets’ football.

Still reeks of nepotism like.

It's Mr Morris's money and if he thinks that anything less than having top rate pros in key positions is good for the club, that's his prerogative. 

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Still not overly sure who is the people below mclaren who are finding and looking at prospects for the team short or long term. I.e. Jozwiak. Are we solely relying on the managers knowledge and making them do all their homework or surely there must be more than just mclaren out finding targets to recommend to the manager.

5 minutes ago, DCFC-Dan said:

Yes definite, he’s the one who’s always sat next to Mel at the games. No previous job in football apart from this. He’s only 27.

Not much use there seems a bit of an empty title

4 minutes ago, europia said:

It's Mr Morris's money and if he thinks that anything less than having top rate pros in key positions is good for the club, that's his prerogative. 

Completely agree just seems all the more illogical he hasn’t gone out and got a big name scout or someone with an impressive track record in to compliment it. Not only is it an investment in the club but also someone to mentor his stepson in his chosen profession having no relevant experience or know how. We’ve pissed away enough of his money on players...

22 minutes ago, cannable said:

Yeah it’s his step-son.

I suppose you can’t quantify with coaching badges et al whether somebody just ‘gets’ football.

Still reeks of nepotism like.

Ffs....no wonder,
A proper head of recruitment Wouldn’t stand for that. 

23 minutes ago, RamNut said:

Ffs....no wonder,
A proper head of recruitment Wouldn’t stand for that. 

Let’s hope Mel appointed him based on his genuine ability (zero evidence from his LinkedIn profile) otherwise I’m seriously disappointed especially given how important Mel considers the academy. But, I’ll have to give him the benefit of the doubt.

45 minutes ago, DarkFruitsRam7 said:

According to his LinkedIn, he's been in the job since May 2016 and his role is thus:

'In Emerging Talent we are looking to recruit elite players primarily from the UK, but we also target from all over Europe. This department specifically targets players between the age range of 17 & 21 to either come into Derby County's U23 or U18 squads, with the overall objective of being able to progress through to the first team as quickly as possible.'

So if he's been responsible for bringing in the likes of Bogle, Hector-Ingram and Ebosele, he's doing a very good job.

Not quite the narrative that some people are trying spin, so I'm afraid this information will be mainly ignored. Nice try though!

18 minutes ago, Carnero said:

Not quite the narrative that some people are trying spin, so I'm afraid this information will be mainly ignored. Nice try though!

Sorry, what’s your point? Genuine question.

The text is just a statement of what the role of the emerging talent team is not how well qualified/suitable Harry Croft is for the role.

Apologies if I’ve misunderstood what you’re trying to say.

3 minutes ago, Tamworthram said:

The text is just a statement of what the role of the emerging talent team is not how well qualified/suitable Harry Croft is for the role.

Apologies if I’ve misunderstood what you’re trying to say.

I think what @Carnero is saying is that if he's been ion the role since 2016 and his remit is'specifically targets players between the age range of 17 & 21 to either come into Derby County's U23 or U18 squads, with the overall objective of being able to progress through to the first team as quickly as possible' then it would appear he had 4 year's experience and has done rather a good job thus far - some of the comments however, seem to ignore this in favour of a different narrative.

The scouting in the academy has been pretty good, certainly more recently, so Mel’s step son gets a free pass from me. 

I’ve been one of the biggest critics of the first team’s recruitment, because it has been absolutely subpar at the very best. A good recruitment team will save you 10s of millions and earn you 100s of millions in this division which is why I’m so perplexed by our seemingly lackadaisical approach. We’ve signed players that have ultimately kept us in the top 10 of the league, so not dreadful, but not many have gone on to better things which means we’ve got a tendency to sign players with limitations in their game. 

It needs looking at, especially in our current situation. 

7 minutes ago, Ambitious said:

The scouting in the academy has been pretty good, certainly more recently, so Mel’s step son gets a free pass from me. 

I’ve been one of the biggest critics of the first team’s recruitment, because it has been absolutely subpar at the very best. A good recruitment team will save you 10s of millions and earn you 100s of millions in this division which is why I’m so perplexed by our seemingly lackadaisical approach. We’ve signed players that have ultimately kept us in the top 10 of the league, so not dreadful, but not many have gone on to better things which means we’ve got a tendency to sign players with limitations in their game. 

My counter argument would be… are the recruitment team crap or are they being overlooked? 

Chris Evans left because Clement barely had a working relationship with him.

Vydra, Anya and Wilson were clearly Pearson trying to impose his system.

de Sart and Nugent felt like McClaren rapidly trying to change us back. 

Rowett went on record as to say he aimed to sign older players as they cost less.

Lampard signed Evans having played with him and Marriott was recommended by John Terry. Can’t comment on Waghorn and Flo Jo. I’d imagine Lampard as he wanted us to press and Waghorn’s more mobile than Martin. 

Maybe the issue isn’t the recruitment team and the manager having too great of an influence over recruitment? 

7 minutes ago, Ambitious said:

My question on it comes back to the original point... if he is doing a good job and had a role in a signing like Bogle surely when so many questions are asked of our scouting department the club would be more forthcoming and open about it. All feels very suspect that when Owen Bradley, Chris coles and Steve Nicholson etc are all asked about our scouting they avoid it and don’t even quote names publically available on the club site. Surely they must also know the relation to Mel. I get the impression the way it’s avoided that they aren’t allowed to discuss it. Would be interested to see what happens if someone spoke/asked about it on the phone in.

22 minutes ago, Tamworthram said:

The "our recruitment is crap (full stop) and oh look Mel's step son just happens to be on the recruitment team... nepotism!" narrative.

Idly lumping all player recruitment into the one basket and completely ignoring the fact that he seems to be heading the most successful part of the club's talent identification & recruitment operations.

4 minutes ago, cannable said:

My counter argument would be… are the recruitment team crap or are they being overlooked? 

Chris Evans left because Clement barely had a working relationship with him.

Vydra, Anya and Wilson were clearly Pearson trying to impose his system.

de Sart and Nugent felt like McClaren rapidly trying to change us back. 

Rowett went on record as to say he aimed to sign older players as they cost less.

Lampard signed Evans having played with him and Marriott was recommended by John Terry. Can’t comment on Waghorn and Flo Jo. I’d imagine Lampard as he wanted us to press and Waghorn’s more mobile than Martin. 

Maybe the issue isn’t the recruitment team and the manager having too great of an influence over recruitment? 

Is this the problem? Would our manager trust a former managers son and the owners Step son to recommend his signings?

I dunno! The notion that scouts pick and sign players for Derby seems a bit of a stretch. They might compile lists and tape on players matching the criteria they've been given, but the decisions and commercials are surely sat with the coaches and the board who control the purse strings. 

This is really the first window in which we will get to assess Cocu's ability to identify players who meet his criteria and secure their services without getting dry humped. We'll see how Mike settles in but I'd have to say that I think Marshall and Byrne are excellent picks so maybe rather than this obsession with past mistakes, we judge the current team on merits not past performance? I mean, at least give them a chance?

2 hours ago, DarkFruitsRam7 said:

According to his LinkedIn, he's been in the job since May 2016 and his role is thus:

'In Emerging Talent we are looking to recruit elite players primarily from the UK, but we also target from all over Europe. This department specifically targets players between the age range of 17 & 21 to either come into Derby County's U23 or U18 squads, with the overall objective of being able to progress through to the first team as quickly as possible.'

So if he's been responsible for bringing in the likes of Bogle, Hector-Ingram and Ebosele, he's doing a very good job.

1 hour ago, Carnero said:

1 hour ago, 86 Schmokes & a Pancake said:

I think what @Carnero is saying is that if he's been ion the role since 2016 and his remit is'specifically targets players between the age range of 17 & 21 to either come into Derby County's U23 or U18 squads, with the overall objective of being able to progress through to the first team as quickly as possible' then it would appear he had 4 year's experience and has done rather a good job thus far - some of the comments however, seem to ignore this in favour of a different narrative.

1 hour ago, Ambitious said:

49 minutes ago, Carnero said:

The "our recruitment is crap (full stop) and oh look Mel's step son just happens to be on the recruitment team... nepotism!" narrative.

Idly lumping all player recruitment into the one basket and completely ignoring the fact that he seems to be heading the most successful part of the club's talent identification & recruitment operations.

This, this, this, this, this.

Had he been Barry Bugger with 30 years experience at Man Utd it wouldn’t be an issue, but as he’s connected to Mel it’s nepotism, yet our academy signings have actually been pretty good.
Not sure they can be criticised, but you know, it’s hard to admit that when we’re looking for people to blame.

Archived