What do we know about the recruitment team?

Seems to crop up so much on here and the phone in about our recruitment team and very quickly dissipates into jokes about passports and references to either Brentford or Simon clough. Since Steve Evans and only very much focused around him we haven’t had any real insight or introductions to who there is in this team and what they do. Compared to how much the club use social media and videos to promote people in the youth set up and first team coaching team it all seems very odd due to the interest from supporters and frequency it is asked.

So what do we actually know about them other than Joe Mclaren is Steve Mclaren’s son and what they do? How they got their roles and what qualifies them? One would assume to get a decent scouting position in a club the size and division as Derby you must either:

a) have been successful in a lower league,

b) have had a credible playing career and therefore a first hand insight and contacts in the game or

c) another role in football with some kind of transferable skills I.e. analyst or youth recruitment which I know they do recruit with little to no experience in the game.

From the website who’s who this is who’s mentioned but whether there are other people on payroll as many have referenced there used to be, I don’t know But if you know any post them here to fill in some blanks

Head of Senior Scouting & Emerging Talent Development - Joe McClaren

Head of Technical Scouting - Jon Howard

Head of Emerging Talent Recruitment - Harry Croft

Head of Local Recruitment - Jamie Smith

Let’s see what the combined knowledge is on this forum. I would assume Jon Howard’s role is around opposition teams and preparing a tactical brief for the manager but that’s a guess

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply
10 minutes ago, europia said:

A list of players that the people mentioned have been actively involved in recruiting would be a better gauge of how good the recruitment team is. 

I agree to a certain extent, I think there’s still a bit that as a fan of a club the size of Derby we should also have an indicator of something similar before they’ve been given the role about their roles at previous clubs or what qualifies them to recommend to the manager. Not seen this hence the question. Can’t imagine cocu would take anyone on here seriously for recommending players so if our scouts don’t have credible cvs to back up why they are in the role why would they be any different 

48 minutes ago, DontTrustTheDevilInside said:

Seems to crop up so much on here and the phone in about our recruitment team and very quickly dissipates into jokes about passports and references to either Brentford or Simon clough. Since Steve Evans and only very much focused around him we haven’t had any real insight or introductions to who there is in this team and what they do. Compared to how much the club use social media and videos to promote people in the youth set up and first team coaching team it all seems very odd due to the interest from supporters and frequency it is asked.

So what do we actually know about them other than Joe Mclaren is Steve Mclaren’s son and what they do? How they got their roles and what qualifies them? One would assume to get a decent scouting position in a club the size and division as Derby you must either:

a) have been successful in a lower league,

b) have had a credible playing career and therefore a first hand insight and contacts in the game or

c) another role in football with some kind of transferable skills I.e. analyst or youth recruitment which I know they do recruit with little to no experience in the game.

From the website who’s who this is who’s mentioned but whether there are other people on payroll as many have referenced there used to be, I don’t know But if you know any post them here to fill in some blanks

Head of Senior Scouting & Emerging Talent Development - Joe McClaren

Head of Technical Scouting - Jon Howard

Head of Emerging Talent Recruitment - Harry Croft

Head of Local Recruitment - Jamie Smith

Let’s see what the combined knowledge is on this forum. I would assume Jon Howard’s role is around opposition teams and preparing a tactical brief for the manager but that’s a guess

I recommend a listen to the recent Rams Review podcast on scouting with former Rams scout Mark Rutledge.  It focuses on youth recruitment, but I reckon you'll find loads of useful insights there. 

5 minutes ago, DontTrustTheDevilInside said:

Is that a definite? Any background in football? Any idea what head of emerging talent recruitment is?

Yeah it’s his step-son.

I suppose you can’t quantify with coaching badges et al whether somebody just ‘gets’ football.

Still reeks of nepotism like.

2 minutes ago, cannable said:

Yeah it’s his step-son.

I suppose you can’t quantify with coaching badges et al whether somebody just ‘gets’ football.

Interesting... anyone seen from him or heard any reports/announcements? That seems to have been kept quiet. Aren’t Mels family normally in the directors box/boardroom with him when he’s pictured at games? Is he one of them or hopefully he’s not watching our games but out watching other clubs and finding the next great signing..?

13 minutes ago, DCFC-Dan said:

Harry Croft is Mel’s step son

12 minutes ago, DontTrustTheDevilInside said:

Is that a definite? Any background in football? Any idea what head of emerging talent recruitment is?

5 minutes ago, cannable said:

Yeah it’s his step-son.

According to his LinkedIn, he's been in the job since May 2016 and his role is thus:

'In Emerging Talent we are looking to recruit elite players primarily from the UK, but we also target from all over Europe. This department specifically targets players between the age range of 17 & 21 to either come into Derby County's U23 or U18 squads, with the overall objective of being able to progress through to the first team as quickly as possible.'

So if he's been responsible for bringing in the likes of Bogle, Hector-Ingram and Ebosele, he's doing a very good job.

Harry Croft has a weird cv

Head of Emerging Talent Recruitment

Derby County Football Club

Mar 2016 – Present4 years 7 months

Derby, United Kingdom

In Emerging Talent we are looking to recruit elite players primarily from the UK, but we also target from all over Europe. This department specifically targets players between the age range of 17 & 21 to either come into Derby County's U23 or U18 squads, with the overall objective of being able to progress through to the first team as quickly as possible.

Intern

Restoration Partners

Jun 2013 –  Jul 20132 months

London, United Kingdom

I returned to Restoration Partners in 2013 because my experience the previous year significantly helped me to learn and excel in certain fields. I managed to learn even more in this period. Working with such knowledgeable and welcoming colleagues has such a substantial impact on my ability to listen and learn from experienced personnel. Restoration Partners is a superb business with clear targets and aspirations, and one I know will succeed in its endeavours.

Intern

Restoration Partners

Jul 2012 –  Aug 20122 months

London, United Kingdom

Restoration Partners is a boutique technology Merchant Bank located in the centre of London. During my time at Restoration Partners I learnt a vast range of skills and expertise regarding banking and investment opportunities. The experienced employees already established there significantly helped me along and allowed me to develop my entrepreneurial skill set, and crucially opened my thinking in the way in which to analyse certain business prospects. Restoration Partners focuses on the technology sector and businesses with a fundamental base of technology. This was particularly good for me because I have grown up with a technological and an internet based background. Therefore, I was much more equipped to comprehend and understand aspects of my internship. In addition to this, I was able to learn from Ken Olisa, one of the most illustrious entrepreneurs in the technology sector, this was a privilege and exceptionally beneficial for me - having the opportunity to follow the guidance of somebody so experienced. The overall experience was incredible and most importantly, a large learning curve for me, enabling to enhance my ability as an entrepreneur.

Just now, DontTrustTheDevilInside said:

Interesting... anyone seen from him or heard any reports/announcements? That seems to have been kept quiet. Aren’t Mels family normally in the directors box/boardroom with him when he’s pictured at games? Is he one of them or hopefully he’s not watching our games but out watching other clubs and finding the next great signing..?

I wouldn’t say it’s been kept quiet, per say. There were pictures of him sat next to McClaren a few years ago when we were in for Calum Paterson.

2 minutes ago, DontTrustTheDevilInside said:

Yes definite, he’s the one who’s always sat next to Mel at the games. No previous job in football apart from this. He’s only 27.

Archived