Sky sack Le Tissier, Thompson & Nicholas

Day

20 hours ago, sage said:

They will be replaced by younger people. Perhaps a woman, perhaps someone from an ethnic minority,. Hopefully someone better.

Sky Cricket recently got rid of Botham and Gower and replaced them with Rob Key and Ebony Rainford-Brent. I think it is massively better as a result. 

They may well want people more in touch with the modern game. it's just like Radio One DJs being shovelled off to  Radio Two. No doubt one of them will end up on TalkSport.

Sky's cricket coverage really is excellent these days. 

I hadn't even considered that Botham had been removed to be replaced with BAME's very own Rob Key. Sir Ian had been rubbish for years...Shane Warne probably gives more insight in ten mins than Botham would in a whole Summer.

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, AndyinLiverpool said:

What’s he talking about?

Reading through his replies he doesn’t appear to agree with the decision to get rid of the 4. 

Sounds like he’s questioning his own future there and might walk.

7 hours ago, Grimbeard said:

No, I'll only be not watching every fortnight because people have been sacked because they are white middle aged men,  for no other reason, it seems, than the chance to replace them with people that are black/younger/female/LGBT or whatever.

That is unjust.

And yes. I will cancel my subscription.

Where did it say there contracts haven't been renewed because they are white and middle aged? Facebook by any chance?

Did you kick off like this when Hugh Scully got replaced on Antiques Roadshow?

4 minutes ago, David said:

Reading through his replies he doesn’t appear to agree with the decision to get rid of the 4. 

Sounds like he’s questioning his own future there and might walk.

By this he means working out what Talksport would pay him and see if his principles are worth the difference in salary.

7 hours ago, Grimbeard said:

No, I'll only be not watching every fortnight because people have been sacked because they are white middle aged men,  for no other reason, it seems, than the chance to replace them with people that are black/younger/female/LGBT or whatever.

That is unjust.

Careful not to knock yourself out with your own knee. 

8 hours ago, Grimbeard said:

That is unjust.

You know that they were fired for being white?

3 minutes ago, sage said:

By this he means working out what Talksport would pay him and see if his principles are worth the difference in salary.

Probably something like that. 

If he walked they would all get picked up for their own show on TalkSport, a bit like Clarkson, Hammond and May with Amazon Prime.

That’s if he feels so strongly about it. 

9 hours ago, Grimbeard said:

That is unjust.

Those pesky snowflakes again eh?!??

I wonder why they have kept Merson. I suspect it's that edge-of-the-seat feeling you get from watching him and thinking, 'Is he back on the sauce?'

I occasionally have Soccer Saturday on but always these days with the sound down - all the important information is available visually. I've always disliked all that blokey in-joke stuff they do and the way they play up and emphasise it all. Not to mention the court jester role that they've forced Kris Kamara into when he has so much more to offer than that.

Over the past 30-40 years, the one driving force behind everything that has been done to tackle race inequality in this country, has been the basic premise that a person’s colour is no factor in their ability to do something, be that to a good level, or indeed a bad level.

What I am finding a little worrying in the current climate is that we are heading back to the time when the first thing a person was defined by was their colour.  Now today, this is coming from the opposite angle from what the situation was 30-40 years ago, but nonetheless, we are once again starting to define whether a person should or should not get an opportunity based on the colour of their skin.

SKY Sports have been very visible in their anti-racism message, and that should be applauded.  To that end, should the pundit list on their platform be more diverse?  Of course, it should, and the move to remove the 3 guys from the Soccer Saturday show, along with Scott Minto from his presenting role is a clear move towards a more diverse on-screen presence.

The problem I see with these decisions is that, particularly in the case of Scott Minto, they are removing an excellent presenter from his role (my opinion), seemingly based on his appearance, rather than his qualities as a presenter.  If these guys are being replaced simply because their punditry/presenting is not very good/out-dated, as some allude, then fine, but on that basis let’s see Danny Mills and Don Goodman go with them, as they are (my opinion) the weakest of the platform’s punditry/co-commentary offering.

The sister show to Soccer Saturday, which covers midweek games, is already pretty diverse in its appearance, with the likes of Matt Murray, Clinton Morrison, Micah Richards, Glen Johnson and Sue Smith, to name a few, featuring regularly as pundits.  Each will have their opinion on the standard of the punditry they provide (personally, I find Matt Murray and Micah Richards excellent, but Sue Smith less so), and I think a better approach would have been to start to integrate these over the next couple of seasons with a view to replacing the main Saturday pundits as and when their contracts expire.

Whichever way SKY go about promoting their message, and making their offering more diverse, will attract criticism from somewhere.  They have already scaled back quite a bit on the outright criticism of F1 drivers who don’t “take the knee”, rather now choosing to go with a message along the lines of “united against racism, but diverse in how they demonstrate”, so they are acutely aware that it is a sensitive issue at its core.  That said, it is a theme that is going to continue going forwards, and it will be interesting to see the final destination.

Sith Happens

If they are looking to diversify, i would definately shout out for Laura Woods off of Talk Sport fame....

When i do listen to Talk Sport i find her much more enjoyable to listen to as she is intelligent, knows what she is talking about and you dont get dragged down the 'when i was at ipswich, or i was at rangers' path that you do almost every day with other presenters.

11 hours ago, Grimbeard said:

because they are white middle aged men,  for no other reason, it seems,

You know that HOW? They're beyond boring now, these things have a 'lifespan' and it needs freshening up. For all you know they might replace them with yet more old, white, boring men - but that's okay innit.

4 hours ago, RoyMac5 said:

You know that HOW? They're beyond boring now, these things have a 'lifespan' and it needs freshening up. For all you know they might replace them with yet more old, white, boring men - but that's okay innit.

As I've already said, I obviously don't know this to be the reason, but to me it seems to be the most likely reason. We shall see who they are replaced with, we can then, perhaps, make more firm inferences.

Phil Thompson won't be missed, well past his sell by date. 

Scott Minto, steady and a little boring but he is 'fine', again if someone amazing replaced him I wouldn't blink. 

Charlie Nicholas was starting to get a bit past it, just relying on his reputation so I think he can't complain too much. 

Think Le Tiss is the one who has better football knowledge and at least attempts to keep up with trends, so I think he can feel unlucky. 

Merson is definitely weaker tactically so no idea why he has survived other than he is a bit of a car crash sometimes. 

Obviously it's an old boy's gang. Being all white probably doesn't look great and fit in with Sky's policies so would be staggered if they were replaced like for like. 

Will give anyone a chance, so let's see. Personally I find Matt Murray bland as hell, Chris Iwelumo likewise. This isn't a colour thing, Shearer, Murphy and Jenas are all dull as ditch water. Wrighty makes me laugh but his analysis is weak. 

Micah Richards maybe could step up. Just hope we uncover some fresh interesting talent, Carragher and Neville have upped the standard, they have banter and good analysis and feel more relevant. 

Archived