Sky sack Le Tissier, Thompson & Nicholas

David

1 minute ago, Gaspode said:

Surely Prutton should be next in line...(please ?)

Anyway if they sacked Goodman, Twatter would no doubt determine it was a racist decision and they'd have to re-instate him before the season starts....

He needs sacking for the hairstyle alone, never mind the bias claptrap he spouts.

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, JfR said:

I can understand why they might want to rejig the Soccer Saturday panel, but I can't understand getting rid of Minto. Always thought he was one of the better ones for EFL coverage.

I agree - though I suspect you may be trying to apply logic to the decisions - not a wise approach in the current 'woke' environment....

Wrighty  has had a right go ... and spot on with it too. Apparently a load of Trolls going On about Sky bowing to BLM or whatever.

meh .. Sky freshening it up, good on them .. hope the new guys do a good job. That’s really all that interests me.

its sad that this is even a big story. All I want to see is good punditry. If they do well they keep their jobs until the next freshen up. Personally I think it’s great that a new generation gets a look in. Stops it becoming stale and new viewers get to see ex players they recognise. 

23 hours ago, Tyler Durden said:

No I agree Sky never looked back after they got rid of the institutions which were Keys and Gray (understandably in different circumstances).

Might be coming under pressure from BT to freshen things up a bit.

Personally try to avoid their match day experience like the plague 

I disagree, keys and Gray may be misogynistic bankers, but they made the Sky the powerhouse that they are today. They’ve not replaced Andy Grays commentary in my eye. 

Neville and Carragher may be spot on when it come to analysis, but when it comes to sheer emotion behind the mic Andy Gray and Martin Tyler are up there! 

15 hours ago, Gaspode said:

I agree - though I suspect you may be trying to apply logic to the decisions - not a wise approach in the current 'woke' environment....

Nothing to do with being "woke" or not. It's a commercial decision. Broadcaster doesn't want to alienate the public during a period of change of people's perceptions, so feels the right choice is to change presenters to fit with modern times. Completely down to economic decisions - if we're not seen as moving with the times, will we lose customers?

Sith Happens

Surely they havent been sacked, surely its just as simple as not renewing their contracts.

They wont be employees like most of us, they will be on fixed term contracts that either party can extract themselves from at the end of, or within the written terms of that contract.

I have always found the bias to certain clubs a bit annoying on this show, its the same on MOTD. How the likes of Shearer keep getting employed i have no idea, no charisma or personality.

22 minutes ago, Paul71 said:

Surely they havent been sacked, surely its just as simple as not renewing their contracts.

They wont be employees like most of us, they will be on fixed term contracts that either party can extract themselves from at the end of, or within the written terms of that contract.

I have always found the bias to certain clubs a bit annoying on this show, its the same on MOTD. How the likes of Shearer keep getting employed i have no idea, no charisma or personality.

I thought this as well, but all the headlines were they’ve been sacked.

With them keeping Merson though it must surely be contracts not being renewed

23 hours ago, maxjam said:

I used to enjoy the show, not so much for their insight at times but the banter.  You can replace them with different people of equal experience but it won't have the same 'feel' - they worked well as a group and were obviously great friends off camera which came across during the show. 

Wouldnt be so sure.

Once overheard Chris Kamara talking about a legal case between 2 of the presenters and him saying the rest of the panel didnt like him.

Cant remember for certain but think it was Le Tissier and Merson maybe?

30 minutes ago, David said:

I thought this as well, but all the headlines were they’ve been sacked.

With them keeping Merson though it must surely be contracts not being renewed

If you watched the "Harry's Heroes" programmes, you'll have seen how Merson has struggled to overcome gambling and drink issues - it may just be that they have concerns for his well-being if they also bin him......

Just now, Gaspode said:

If you watched the "Harry's Heroes" programmes, you'll have seen how Merson has struggled to overcome gambling and drink issues - it may just be that they have concerns for his well-being if they also bin him......

Read his autobiography a few years ago, drinking before games, gambling all his money away. 

You could be right, think he would be more suited on Soccer AM though with Jimmy Bullard.

1 hour ago, GboroRam said:

Nothing to do with being "woke" or not. It's a commercial decision. Broadcaster doesn't want to alienate the public during a period of change of people's perceptions, so feels the right choice is to change presenters to fit with modern times. Completely down to economic decisions - if we're not seen as moving with the times, will we lose customers?

you are of course entitled to your opinion - the proof of the pudding will be seen in the make up of new panel (assuming they keep the same format) and the viewing figures going forward......

1 minute ago, David said:

Read his autobiography a few years ago, drinking before games, gambling all his money away. 

You could be right, think he would be more suited on Soccer AM though with Jimmy Bullard.

He told the story of when he was a kid at Aresnal and got his breakthrough into the first team - was so addicted to gambling that he would sprint off the field at half-time so he could get to a TV and see how his bets were doing.....

It's great to see that he's been dealing with his demons, but he still seems to be a very fragile character....

1 hour ago, Gaspode said:

you are of course entitled to your opinion - the proof of the pudding will be seen in the make up of new panel (assuming they keep the same format) and the viewing figures going forward......

Honestly I'm sure Sky only care about money. Their decisions are tactically about how they will be better able to get people to buy their product. It may be a wrong decision, but I'm sure there's marketing departments up and down the country crapping themselves at the prospect of being on the wrong side of the BLM stuff. It's nothing to do with support of the issue at hand - just about marketability to the public. The decisions IMO are not taken in line with supporting or otherwise a particular message - just about being seen to be on the populist side of the discussion. Hiring a bunch of BME presenters doesn't necessarily make them woke, it could just make them opportunists. If the figures go up or not doesn't make the necessarily woke, just a good or bad judge of a marketing opportunity.

They will be replaced by younger people. Perhaps a woman, perhaps someone from an ethnic minority,. Hopefully someone better.

Sky Cricket recently got rid of Botham and Gower and replaced them with Rob Key and Ebony Rainford-Brent. I think it is massively better as a result. 

They may well want people more in touch with the modern game. it's just like Radio One DJs being shovelled off to  Radio Two. No doubt one of them will end up on TalkSport.

Archived