Sky sack Le Tissier, Thompson & Nicholas

David

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Given SKY’s relentless focus on BLM at every possible opportunity, I would be surprised if, rightly or wrongly, this isn’t the main driver behind the decision.  That said, if it results in Matt Murray getting a full-time gig, then that works for me.

3 minutes ago, Tyler Durden said:

I just saw this on Twitter. Stick out tweet for me was alluding to who they will be replaced by and conjecture on whether this will incorporate a variety of BAME match day summarisors instead. Let's see. 

Got to say they are a bunch of (old, white, male) boring old farts for sure. A shake-up can't be worse?

This is the same panel which remarked that our policy of playing out from the back was misguided with an old-fashioned defender like Richard Keogh.

Hopefully, they're replaced by panelists who can be sufficiently arsed to do their homework.

3 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

Got to say they are a bunch of (old, white, male) boring old farts for sure. A shake-up can't be worse?

No I agree Sky never looked back after they got rid of the institutions which were Keys and Gray (understandably in different circumstances).

Might be coming under pressure from BT to freshen things up a bit.

Personally try to avoid their match day experience like the plague 

41 minutes ago, Tyler Durden said:

No I agree Sky never looked back after they got rid of the institutions which were Keys and Gray (understandably in different circumstances).

Might be coming under pressure from BT to freshen things up a bit.

Personally try to avoid their match day experience like the plague 

I wouldn't pay for sky and whenever I do encounter it, I mute the sound tbh.

12 hours ago, John Doe said:

Given SKY’s relentless focus on BLM at every possible opportunity, I would be surprised if, rightly or wrongly, this isn’t the main driver behind the decision.  That said, if it results in Matt Murray getting a full-time gig, then that works for me.

Hi Craig Ramage.

I liked all Of them. There was a good chemistry and banter. 
from Merse “it hit the bloon Jeff” to Chris kamara “we understand that there has been a sending off Chris, what happened?” “Has there Jeff?” “ well you,’re at the match” “oh.....I saw him go off Jeff, I just assumed it was a substitution”. 
Far better than the beeb with Alan shearer, Danny Murphy and Jermaine jenas and Co.

From what I have seen of the programme, the ‘banter’ is largely them all laughing when they ‘accidentally’ say a foreign players name wrong. 

More diversity (as long as it is still done on merit) should be celebrated if that is the way they go (I don’t think a less diverse panel is possible after all) but ultimately I think Soccer Saturday is a slightly outdated concept now and the people who would be interested in watching it, no matter the panel, are the ones who Le Tissier et al would appeal to. 

Someone like Micah Richards would be excellent as he has the jokey nature required for the programme but also has a fresh insight on the game and is interesting to listen to. Remains to be seen whether them freshening it up will work however

I used to enjoy the show, not so much for their insight at times but the banter.  You can replace them with different people of equal experience but it won't have the same 'feel' - they worked well as a group and were obviously great friends off camera which came across during the show. 

I'm guessing that along with the other regulars, Jeff Stelling and Paul Merson, five middle aged white guys don't cut it these days for Sky and something had to be done - shame if that turns out to be the reason as you can't engineer on screen chemistry and imo the show will be worse of because of it.

14 minutes ago, nottingram said:

Someone like Micah Richards would be excellent as he has the jokey nature required for the programme but also has a fresh insight on the game and is interesting to listen to. Remains to be seen whether them freshening it up will work however

This. I think he'd slot in perfectly.

Not sure about Alex Scott for this particular show, as she strikes me as a pundit more suited to serious analysis.

Archived