What's your favourite piece of punctuation?

sage

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 minutes ago, Coconut said:

I'm sure this thread was designed to trap somebody into saying "I've really been getting into colons recently"

I have genuinely been using the semicolon a lot more often of late.

Enough of your lower case humour!

My least favourite is indubitably, absolutely and without question:-

When some idiot tries to be clever by giving a double V sign purporting to be inverted commas denoting a quotation symbol before saying something totally,completely and utterly inane which bears no relation, connection or even loose relevance to the matter under discussion.

Also, anyone using several word where one would sffice, be adequate and convey the intended meaning.

BTW my favourite punctuation is the Spanish technique of putting  ¿at the start of a question and ? at the end.

¿Verdad?

Probably the comma, as it greatly assists with the flow and rhythm of a sentence.

Least liked is !, which is overused and mostly unneeded.  Let the words carry the message, i say.

When i see a !!, or a !!!, i automatically think drama queen.

47 minutes ago, ramit said:

Probably the comma, as it greatly assists with the flow and rhythm of a sentence.

Least liked is !, which is overused and mostly unneeded.  Let the words carry the message, i say.

Sorry!

On 08/08/2020 at 22:47, TigerTedd said:

Genuinely, besides the classic apostrophe, my favourite is the interrobang. 

its like a cross between a ? and a !  

1 hour ago, GboroRam said:

I give you - the interroBang. 

Oh do keep up !!!!!!!!!! 

10 hours ago, ramit said:

Couldn't disagree more!!!!!

20 hours ago, Brummie Steve said:

My least favourite is indubitably, absolutely and without question:-

When some idiot tries to be clever by giving a double V sign purporting to be inverted commas denoting a quotation symbol before saying something totally,completely and utterly inane which bears no relation, connection or even loose relevance to the matter under discussion.

Also, anyone using several word where one would sffice, be adequate and convey the intended meaning.

BTW my favourite punctuation is the Spanish technique of putting  ¿at the start of a question and ? at the end.

¿Verdad?

I’m learning Spanish, and I’ve just this moment realised that’s because questions are usually phrased exactly the same as statement. So you need to put the punctuation at the start so you know what’s coming, or how it should be read. 

does he have a car?

he has a car?

are both ‘tiene un carro’, just with different punctuation. 

punctuation is importante. 

Colons are important. Adding them to a sentence can massively change someone's understanding of you. 

Example A - Hello would you like one of my sandwiches?

Example B - Hello would you like one of my colon sandwiches? 

1 hour ago, Dappled Ram said:

I like apostrophes because I understand how to use them but semi-colons are a mystery. I was never taught them at school and I've never needed to use one.  

Same. And I'm at the point where I've survived 38 years without using them, I reckon I can go another 38 if I can avoid getting run over by a bus. 

4 hours ago, TigerTedd said:

I’m learning Spanish, and I’ve just this moment realised that’s because questions are usually phrased exactly the same as statement. So you need to put the punctuation at the start so you know what’s coming, or how it should be read. 

does he have a car?

he has a car?

Claro amigo ¡muy importante!

4 hours ago, TigerTedd said:

does he have a car?

he has a car?

Are you learning by watching "Narcos"? Un carro is used for a horse drawn cart around here. It's used in all South American countries though judging by the rubbish series that we get over here. (Sorry if I sound snotty, I don't mean it that way)

Archived