What's your favourite piece of punctuation?

sage

1 hour ago, richinspain said:

Are you learning by watching "Narcos"? Un carro is used for a horse drawn cart around here. It's used in all South American countries though judging by the rubbish series that we get over here. (Sorry if I sound snotty, I don't mean it that way)

My wife is South American. I get that it’s the equivalent to American English vs proper English, and a can’t abide American English, so it makes me preferring south American Spanish hypocritical, but I like that I don’t have to lisp all the time. 

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, richinspain said:

Are you learning by watching "Narcos"? Un carro is used for a horse drawn cart around here. It's used in all South American countries though judging by the rubbish series that we get over here. (Sorry if I sound snotty, I don't mean it that way)

La palabra traducido en inglés como 'car' es carro o coche.

Hay también 'wagón.

Hay muchísimas más palabras en Español.

Es un característico que sirve producir una lengua a la vez musical y poétical.

(perdone mis faltas, no he estudiado Español desde más de cincuenta años y he olvidado el subjunctivo y las puntas finas de esta lengua hermosa.)?

5 hours ago, Brummie Steve said:

Hay también 'wagón.

(perdone mis faltas, no he estudiado Español desde más de cincuenta años y he olvidado el subjunctivo y las puntas finas de esta lengua hermosa.)?

Si, entiendo perfectamente. Como dije, no quería criticar. Y es verdad, hay muchas maneras para decir la misma cosa.

Anyway, enough Spanish for everyone else ?. And I haven't spotted any mistakes, either spelling or grammatical. Well done!

8 hours ago, Brummie Steve said:

Hay también 'wagón.

I’m very proud of myself that I managed to work out what that says without google translate.

It’s only poetic because every word ends in o or a, so it’s really easy to make a rhyme.

im sure it’s got a much smaller vocabulary. For example, there I soon discovered there was no word in Spanish for blowjob. 

49 minutes ago, TigerTedd said:

I’m very proud of myself that I managed to work out what that says without google translate.

It’s only poetic because every word ends in o or a, so it’s really easy to make a rhyme.

im sure it’s got a much smaller vocabulary. For example, there I soon discovered there was no word in Spanish for blowjob

But there is, obviously ?. Finding it on Google Translate however may be difficult.

12 hours ago, Brummie Steve said:

Hay también 'wagón.

RelievedFearfulBlackfootedferret-size_restricted.gif.4d35fc60165e4b1ddcabb51429196a2a.gif

6 hours ago, richinspain said:

But there is, obviously ?. Finding it on Google Translate however may be difficult.

My wife doesn’t even know, or so she tells me. I think it’s a Latin American thing. That’s not the only example, (just the first that spring to mind), everything is very literal. English must be so hard to learn, there’s lots of metaphorical language, and colloquialisms you couldn’t possibly guess. 

back on topic, sort of, I can’t get the hang of accents over letters at all. Surely things are pronounced in your local accent, without the word / punctuation  itself needing to be so prescriptive. 

44 minutes ago, TigerTedd said:

My wife doesn’t even know, or so she tells me. I think it’s a Latin American thing. That’s not the only example, (just the first that spring to mind), everything is very literal. English must be so hard to learn, there’s lots of metaphorical language, and colloquialisms you couldn’t possibly guess. 

back on topic, sort of, I can’t get the hang of accents over letters at all. Surely things are pronounced in your local accent, without the word / punctuation  itself needing to be so prescriptive. 

?

Keeping things off topic (why should this top be any different to any other - now, that Chris Martin....), literal translations can be very strange. Obviously your example translated literally (think about it) just wouldn't make sense. I had a spell teaching English when I first came over here (many say I should have learnt English myself first) and always recommended pupils when looking up a word to translate it back again to it's original language because there are so many meanings for some words (in both languages) that context is everything.

pd la traducción aquí es "mamada".

Archived