Reg Harrison, oldest living winner of the FA cup

Great article in the Times today about Reg Harrison (behind paywall but you are allowed a freebie)

Lots of little stories about getting changed in abandonned railway carriages 2 miles away from BBG, holiday trips to cornwall in a Reliant three-wheeler taking 11 hours and boots in brown paper bags.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/his-boots-were-in-a-brown-paper-bag-but-his-wife-sat-near-royalty-at-wembley-meet-reg-harrison-the-oldest-living-fa-cup-winner-6vrwft073?shareToken=ceca364e4828702ad40d278cc562af2d

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, EtoileSportiveDeDerby said:

Great article in the Times today about Reg White (behind paywall but you are allowed a freebie)

Lots of little stories about getting changed in abandonned railway carriages 2 miles away from BBG, holiday trips to cornwall in a Reliant three-wheeler taking 11 hours and boots in brown paper bags.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/his-boots-were-in-a-brown-paper-bag-but-his-wife-sat-near-royalty-at-wembley-meet-reg-harrison-the-oldest-living-fa-cup-winner-6vrwft073?shareToken=ceca364e4828702ad40d278cc562af2d

Reg White?

24 minutes ago, EtoileSportiveDeDerby said:

There is a little bit in there about his time in the army as well. If for whatever reason you cannot access the article let me know and i can mail it. Rules prevent cut and paste.

Lovely article. Their primary responsibility as Sappers was building Bailey bridges and floating pontoons to replace the original bridges that were bombed during the war. Dad said that him and Reg used to take on the rest of the platoon at football and always win. Reg's party trick was to get someone to open a window in their nissen hut (the little square window set high up on the side) and he would drill the ball straight through it.

One of my earliest childhood memories (I would have been 3 or 4) was of us driving up from Gillingham to Little Eaton, and crossing into Derbyshire over the old Bailey Bridge at Shardlow. My dad, proudly, said "I built that". I don't think that Reg Harrison would have been part of that construction team though, because the old Cavendish Bridge survived the war - it collapsed in 1947 following a flood. The Bailey bridge which replaced it was used for over a decade.

50 minutes ago, Anag Ram said:

Still takes just as long to get to Newquay! 

I used to drive through the night back in the 1980s, get there about 6:00 am and the missus would take the kids to the beach while I got my head down for a couple of hours.

I went round to see Reg a few days after he had been awarded his freedom of the city of Derby, he was full of good spirits and stories, what got me was how struck he was by Frank Lampard who had spent a lot of time with him on the day and had taken a lot of interest in him, as well as being famous in the city for his FA cup medal he was a major part in establishing a number of local clubs including Field Lane and Chesapeake, he did a lot for grass roots football, my son plays for Field Lane so is still benefiting decades later ! I think that the club could have done more in the past in promoting his achievements! Top man !

785A2461-5E34-43B8-82E5-E040782776E0.jpeg

Thanks for posting this, a brilliant read, and contrasts well with the Luxurious life of the top footballer nowadays. I showed the article to my Father in law, who saw an earlier game.

.Thanks . Very interesting.  As I think you know I saw the First Leg of the Sixth Round of the FA cup played in 1946 at Villa Park between Villa and Derby.  The crowd was a ground record of over 76000.  Derby won 4:3 with goals by Carter and Doherty two of the best Inside Forwards I've ever seen.  Apparently Derby's Outside Right in that match was Sammy Crooks not Reg Harrison.  The only player on the Derby side I can really remember, in addition to Carter and Doherty, was the centre half called Leuty.   The Second Leg (at the Baseball Ground) was a 1:1 draw.

19 hours ago, Eddie said:

I used to drive through the night back in the 1980s, get there about 6:00 am and the missus would take the kids to the beach while I got my head down for a couple of hours.

Is that the last time you ventured out Eddie?

5 hours ago, rammieib said:

Is that the last time you ventured out Eddie?

It seems like it, but I am assured that I went to Tesco last week to pick up some bottles of Tripel Karmeleit.

Needs must, and all that.

On FA Cup final day Steve Fletcher talks about his proud history in the competition – even before becoming a professional himself.

It’s 28 years since Fletcher first joined the Cherries, going on to become the club’s record appearance maker, but the family’s footballing ties go back even further, with Fletcher’s grandfather Jack Howe an FA Cup winner as a player in the forties.

https://www.afcb.co.uk/news/features/fletch-s-fa-cup-family-ties/

Archived