Preseason 2020/21

RoyMac5

1 hour ago, S8TY said:

It was the same as previous goals ball floated to back post Bogle beaten ...look at Wembley first goal and numerous times last season ...needs to learn ...but it is not happening 

Not sure what your problem is with Bogle...? The first goal against Wembley was down to multiple things - Tomori running out to left back position towards the ball to then not stop cross, Keogh getting dragged over as a result, leaving Bogle to have to react against an onrushing winger who got the jump on him.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
14 minutes ago, rynny said:

All I take from your post is that you've either not seen the goal, or you've made you mind up that Bogle is at fault for the goal and nothing is going to change it.

On the off chance it is the former the player circled is the one who scored, Bogle is with his man, and stays with him, he makes a last ditch attempt to make up for someone (Evans) not following his man. 

Screenshot_20200827_122955.jpg

Bogle could have done better, but I don't think the fault lies on him. The right winger should have also been recovering to challenge the goal scorer.
Someone picked fault with Lowe for letting a cross in as well... without noting he was doubled up on.

It was a very young team so it's a tad unfair to be picking faults against a good Brentford side.

I am surprised we haven’t arranged one or two more pre-season games too.

Pre season started on the 10th, so with it being so short, we could have had games on the 15th and the 29th.

Our typical schedule will be Saturday-Tuesday/Wednesday so it would have made sense to me to play pre-season games with that regularity.

I mean if you look at the lack of minutes so far for Waghorn, Sibley, Lawrence, Holmes and Clarke amongst others, it is a little concerning that many key players will take weeks to get up to speed.

Granted we could probably use the Carabao Cup tie v Barrow as a warm up of sorts, there is a small concern for me that we could be slow out of the gate yet again.

4 minutes ago, Jourdan said:

I am surprised we haven’t arranged one or two more pre-season games too.

Pre season started on the 10th, so with it being so short, we could have had games on the 15th and the 29th.

Our typical schedule will be Saturday-Tuesday/Wednesday so it would have made sense to me to play pre-season games with that regularity.

I mean if you look at the lack of minutes so far for Waghorn, Sibley, Lawrence, Holmes and Clarke amongst others, it is a little concerning that many key players will take weeks to get up to speed.

Granted we could probably use the Carabao Cup tie v Barrow as a warm up of sorts, there is a small concern for me that we could be slow out of the gate yet again.

I understand where you're coming from mate. But Cocu will also need to be on the training ground with them. 

Time on the training ground next season will be very limited. With all the midweek games. They'll play Saturday. Off Sunday. Recovery Monday and probably play again Tuesday. Off Wednesday. Recovery Thursday, Tactics team set up Friday. 

He'll want to be on the training ground as much as possible now. 

55 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

So the DET are 'saying' only one more preseason game (the Sheff U one). Does anyone have any info, would have thought there'd be a Saturday one, none of them have even had 90 minutes yet.

Don't forget, Owen Bradley said there are friendlies all the time. These are just the ones we hear about.

34 minutes ago, MACKWORTHRAM said:

I understand where you're coming from mate. But Cocu will also need to be on the training ground with them. 

Time on the training ground next season will be very limited. With all the midweek games. They'll play Saturday. Off Sunday. Recovery Monday and probably play again Tuesday. Off Wednesday. Recovery Thursday, Tactics team set up Friday. 

He'll want to be on the training ground as much as possible now. 

That’s a fair point. I guess we’ll see how things go.

I just think there is no substitute for game time against other teams - building partnerships and seeing how the team responds to the opposition.

Obviously there are injury concerns over Lawrence and Holmes, and Clarke has only just rejoined - so there is little we can do about that. 

But there has been no news on Waghorn, last season’s top scorer, and Sibley, our most exciting player.

Just 45 minutes game time in total for five key first team players two weeks out from the opening game just doesn’t bode well for a fast start, but let’s see.

1 hour ago, ThePrisoner said:

Don't forget, Owen Bradley said there are friendlies all the time. These are just the ones we hear about.

There was a tweet, photo or player interview which mentioned a "behind closed doors" friendly without mentioning the opposition or the scoreline.

I'm sure they'll also play 11 v 11 games in training. The squad is big enough.

2 hours ago, RoyMac5 said:

So the DET are 'saying' only one more preseason game (the Sheff U one). Does anyone have any info, would have thought there'd be a Saturday one, none of them have even had 90 minutes yet.

Effectively the Barrow game is a preseason game really. I bet that'll be used to test players out and test formations, it really would benefit us to be knocked out of it.

41 minutes ago, Andicis said:

Effectively the Barrow game is a preseason game really. I bet that'll be used to test players out and test formations, it really would benefit us to be knocked out of it.

Why would it?

Early cup games are ideal to blood youngsters like we did last season  and also gives fringe players & players returning from injuries a chance to get some valuable minutes.

Also abit of prize money always helps

1 minute ago, DCFC1388 said:

Why would it?

Early cup games are ideal to blood youngsters like we did last season  and also gives fringe players & players returning from injuries a chance to get some valuable minutes.

Also abit of prize money always helps

This year is more compact than previous years with fixtures. Maybe if you play the young players the whole way until we're knocked out, but we shouldn't really use first teamers for it.

Just now, Andicis said:

This year is more compact than previous years with fixtures. Maybe if you play the young players the whole way until we're knocked out, but we shouldn't really use first teamers for it.

What if we're drawn against that team from down the road again? You know the one I mean, they play in red.

Just now, Andicis said:

As preseason has shown we're capable of fielding 2 different starting 11s. The season is compact so the last thing you want is a player coming in out the cold to fill in. Im sure players like Evans Shinnie Roos would all appreciate the gametime to keep them ticking over for when called on in league games as we can only name so many on the bench so you're looking at around 8 players a game getting no minutes

2 minutes ago, DCFC1388 said:

As preseason has shown we're capable of fielding 2 different starting 11s. The season is compact so the last thing you want is a player coming in out the cold to fill in. Im sure players like Evans Shinnie Roos would all appreciate the gametime to keep them ticking over for when called on in league games as we can only name so many on the bench so you're looking at around 8 players a game getting no minutes

We really don't have a big squad, I know it's good for those players to get minutes but if we start racking up injuries with the size of our squad we're going to be in trouble.

13 minutes ago, Andicis said:

We really don't have a big squad, I know it's good for those players to get minutes but if we start racking up injuries with the size of our squad we're going to be in trouble.

On the basis of players getting game time in preseason we do have a decent size squad to use for cup games.

If for example our 1st team was - 

Marshall, Bogle TeWierek Clarke Lowe, Rooney Bird, Waghorn Sibley Lawrence, Marriott.

That would leave the following for cup games - 

Roos Ravas Wisdom Ebosele Bateman Davies Solomon Forsyth Buchanan Brown Borkovic Evans Shinnie Knight Ibrahim Holmes Whittaker Jozefzoon Shonibare Hector-Ingram Stretton

Thats on the basis of Malone & Bennett going, im sure there will be other outgoings and incoming but there is a list of 21 players outside a starting 11 - also doesnt include Bielik

Have just had opportunity to watch the "highlights". Other than a couple of tame efforts I couldn't see any chances created by ourselves unless this was down to the match editing.

I did however see us ship quite basic goals one from messing around on the edge of our penalty area and another from a free header on the backpost following a cross from their right. 

I've read the comments that it's only a preseason friendly against a good side but the manner we've shipped 2 of our goals is irrelevant to the standard of opposition - we've gifted them.

Anyhows upwards and onwards am sure Cocu has got a plan to deal with this but needs to start being translated into reality very soon.

4 hours ago, Tyler Durden said:

Have just had opportunity to watch the "highlights". Other than a couple of tame efforts I couldn't see any chances created by ourselves unless this was down to the match editing.

I did however see us ship quite basic goals one from messing around on the edge of our penalty area and another from a free header on the backpost following a cross from their right. 

I've read the comments that it's only a preseason friendly against a good side but the manner we've shipped 2 of our goals is irrelevant to the standard of opposition - we've gifted them.

Anyhows upwards and onwards am sure Cocu has got a plan to deal with this but needs to start being translated into reality very soon.

You're right that there was no discernible improvement in the organisation of our defence. 

I personally put that down to the fact that we are not yet playing a settled back 4.

The great arsenal defence of the 90s and noughties had the same people week in week out.

Archived