Test Cricket is Back

sage

6 minutes ago, Henrycav81 said:

I’d open with Bairstow instead of Crawley and play Foakes who averages 32 in test cricket. Bairstow was never a test standard keeper even  before he broke his leg. Foakes lost his place because other players haven’t done their jobs properly 

Don’t disagree that one of the batsmen could potentially be sacrificed for a proper keeper and I think we would if we had a decent spin bowler.

Leach is the best of an average bunch.

Root and Stokes will fill in with a few overs to rest the quicks and I think Woakes will be the bowler who bats.

Not inspiring but he has a good record. A return for Sam Curran can’t be ruled out for variety.

10 minutes ago, Anag Ram said:

Seem to remember Bairstow got 78 batting at seven.

Take that 78 and I'll raise you 3 missed chances...how many runs did that cost 😉

Stokes misses a catch, Holds onto it and?...yeh my auntie has small balls...it's fine margins that's what makes the Ashes worth watching, We are all critical, The pundits will be having their say in the press tomorrow, I love getting one over the Criminals...so I'll wait till Lourdes 😁

So I'll end with this bunch of sour grapes...the criminals didn't win...we gave it them 👎 

7 minutes ago, JakeDCFC said:

Hey hey hey, there are some exceptions to this, just like me I love test cricket 

I had family members who live in Canada, Brother in Law gets into an argument at work concerning the hardness of a cricket ball to a baseball, He had a cricket ball sent over...he won the argument 😁

Good game and made up for Khawaja tbh. 

I think with ‘bazball’, you have to have all your components working faultlessly and I didn’t think we fielded well enough to control the lead. Look at the total Green got when he should have been out for 3 in the first innings and where we ended up today. I think it was noted on TMS at the end of day 2 about how leggy we looked, and whilst there was delays for rain, you could see once we lost momentum in that last hour that Robinson, Broad and Root had lost ideas.

How England play reminds me in part of ‘Bielsaball’ in football. It’s high impact, working hard and pressing the opposition and it will work for a bit but eventually you get tired and the opposition works out how to counter it. I’m all for entertaining cricket and I don’t want to seem like I’m criticising the approach too much, but I do prescribe to the theory in sport that you have to ‘earn the right’ to play your game and I don’t really think we had a spell where we just tried to tire out the Aussie bowlers for a bit or anything like that. 

8 minutes ago, The Last Post said:

Take that 78 and I'll raise you 3 missed chances...how many runs did that cost 😉

Stokes misses a catch, Holds onto it and?...yeh my auntie has small balls...it's fine margins that's what makes the Ashes worth watching, We are all critical, The pundits will be having their say in the press tomorrow, I love getting one over the Criminals...so I'll wait till Lourdes 😁

So I'll end with this bunch of sour grapes...the criminals didn't win...we gave it them 👎 

I think the Aussies deserve enormous respect for their win.

They battled hard and wore England down. Sets it up for a great series.

7 minutes ago, The Last Post said:

I had family members who live in Canada, Brother in Law gets into an argument at work concerning the hardness of a cricket ball to a baseball, He had a cricket ball sent over...he won the argument 😁

As someone who has played a little of both sports I can definitely attest to that haha

15 minutes ago, Anag Ram said:

I think the Aussies deserve enormous respect for their win.

They battled hard and wore England down. Sets it up for a great series.

I’ll give the criminals 2 things, They live on the other side of the world and have a badge that looks like a bunny rabbit on steroids 

11 minutes ago, 86 Hair Islands said:

Call them that and they'll probably give you a few back too.

We both know the word is convicts, That’s who we sent there, The “ossies” call “villains” “ crims”,  crims is used as slang for criminals…

1 hour ago, PistoldPete said:

We don’t have the bowlers to get the Aussies out twice. Bazballl is fine but England need a fitter set of bowlers. 

They have a top class spinner we’ve not had one since Swann (can’t stand him since he walked away once we were 3-0 down in Australia)

Lyon took 8 wickets in this match our spinners took 4 between them

8 hours ago, Henrycav81 said:

They have a top class spinner we’ve not had one since Swann (can’t stand him since he walked away once we were 3-0 down in Australia)

Lyon took 8 wickets in this match our spinners took 4 between them

Jimmy only got one wicket. Is he finally past it? 

45 minutes ago, PistoldPete said:

Jimmy only got one wicket. Is he finally past it? 

He might be we’ll find out soon enough but that wicket didn’t do him any favours 

I’m all for us playing aggressive cricket it’s great to watch but thought sometimes we batted recklessly rather than aggressively so their bowlers were always in the game. If they had batted in the same style as us Jimmy may have taken more wickets 

Losing that game is one of those things, you could say the declaration did it but you could say it was them having us batting when the weather was most favourable for that brief period.

Either way, this brand of cricket will produce wins and losses, with less draws. We'll win games we have no right to, and lose some games we should have won through things like this or batting collapses. Much more exciting regardless.

14 hours ago, PistoldPete said:

True the conditions didn’t help. BRoad and Robinson got wickets on it though. 

… a wicket designed for bazball. 

England are probably taking the right approach but the lack of a spinner to match lyon - and stokes’s knee - might just do for them. Stokes’ captaincy might well win the series tho’, especially if Brook has a bit of good luck. He’s a beast. I think he may win a test single handed  

1-0 down was a serious problem in the days when a draw was a likely result. But those says are gone … 

Love Smith as a batter, hate him as a sportsman 

Broad immense. Sorry to say Jimmy might now be past his sell by 

Edited by kevinhectoring