Test Cricket is Back

sage

1 hour ago, NottsRam said:

I think that's a bit harsh.  You either buy into the new England way of playing tests or you don't.  It has been very successful thus far and I'm loving it.  You won't win every game but you won't die wondering!

That's very silly. Why can't you appreciate the batting etc but be critical of a declaration? They can still play the same way without a showy declaration on day 1.

30 minutes ago, sage said:

another Bairstow mistake. ffs

Pick your best keeper

I heard on test match special earlier that Bairstow has 0 centuries and averages in the mid-20's in the innings after we've already been in the field. It's just nonsensical to drop Foakes who is a decent batsman himself anyway, averaging in the mid-30's and keeping beautifully. By all means bring Bairstow back in as a batsman, but don't drop Foakes.

Well unless the weather has other ideas, today is decision day.

I suspect whatever happens today, England will feel they were right with the declaration on the basis they had a fist innings lead (albeit a small one). 

I get the nagging feeling that over this series we'll get some demonstration of just why traditional test match captains and tactics are so conservative - baz ball is going to blow up in their faces at least once.

Still, England have a damn good chance this morning.

2 hours ago, RadioactiveWaste said:

I suspect whatever happens today, England will feel they were right with the declaration on the basis they had a fist innings lead (albeit a small one). 

I get the nagging feeling that over this series we'll get some demonstration of just why traditional test match captains and tactics are so conservative - baz ball is going to blow up in their faces at least once.

But they will be wrong as the cricket experts on here have said so 😉

16 minutes ago, NottsRam said:

But they will be wrong as the cricket experts on here have said so 😉

To be honest they should've declared their second innings, lead of 200 odd to really get the juices flowing.

To be fair, I get why they thought they might have a bowl at the openers for half an hour on day 1 but there's no substitute for runs on the scoreboard. It's not what I (with my picked last at everything in PE pedigree of sporting success) would've done. 

No play before 13.10 anyway, and if this match ends up a draw I'll laugh until the next test.

18 minutes ago, RadioactiveWaste said:

To be honest they should've declared their second innings, lead of 200 odd to really get the juices flowing.

To be fair, I get why they thought they might have a bowl at the openers for half an hour on day 1 but there's no substitute for runs on the scoreboard. It's not what I (with my picked last at everything in PE pedigree of sporting success) would've done. 

No play before 13.10 anyway, and if this match ends up a draw I'll laugh until the next test.

This whole 'Bazball' thing means that they are willing to lose in the pursuit of winning. They'd much rather do that than just going for a draw.

2 hours ago, RadioactiveWaste said:

If we had continued batting for the the rest of the day instead of having those 4 overs, we would have a bigger lead. Probably an additional 40 or 50.

4 minutes ago, sage said:

If we had continued batting for the the rest of the day instead of having those 4 overs, we would have a bigger lead. Probably an additional 40 or 50.

and potentially less time to win the game.  It's all conjecture.

5 minutes ago, sage said:

Why would we have less time? We would have started bowling on Saturday morning 430ish ahead, instead of 380 ahead with 10 wickets still intact.

I said potentially, it is all conjecture, no-one know what would have happened had we not declared, not even you 🙄 

11 minutes ago, NottsRam said:

I said potentially, it is all conjecture, no-one know what would have happened had we not declared, not even you 🙄 

Could you explain the potential less time?