Which celebrity death hit you the hardest?

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, i-Ram said:

I was unaware of the sexual peccadilloes of Williams and Lennon but fortunately we are in an age where we are happier such matters are in the open, and to live and let live.

Back on topic I have felt the loss of Victoria Wood and Caroline Aherne and also Pete Shelley and Neil Peart. 

I forgot about Pete Shelley, loved that guy.

“Celebrity” deaths had never really bothered me, I mean although you know who’s these people are they’re still basically strangers to you, you have no real emotional connection.

Until The death of Ray Wilkins was announced on talksport, used to absolutely love listening to him, extremely knowledgable and an all round decent human being. I remember having a massive lump in my throat, I was actually gutted, gutted for somebody that I’d never even met. Some of the stories about Ray on TS  we’re incredible. Especially the one I’ve linked below. 

Sith Happens

Jimmy Saville.

Not when he died but because he got away with it, should have faced justice. 

All shades of wrong I know,  but a prison sentence and an 'appointment' with 'Big Dave' in the showers every day for a couple of years wouldn't have gone amiss. 

Sith Happens
5 hours ago, TexasRam said:

None, until David Jason goes that’ll be sad. 

imagine how bad you will feel tomorrow if you wake up to the headline 'only fools and hearses'

5 hours ago, Mucker1884 said:

The blonde lad from pop group "Steps".

MMo2gdP7JieQZq3be-ZtJUVV3-6cScqJoG6o4t2j

Weird one that.

the first grave I’ve seen with an inspection cover.

Stephen Gately. About a year before his death I randomly sent a text to the Mrs telling her that Stephen Gately had died. She told her mum and all her friends the news before I told her I'd just made it up. She had to text them all and tell them that it was a hoax and that I just have a weird sense of humour.

I was sat on the toilet in a london hotel when I read the news of his death on what was probably a Nokia phone. I finished my poo and woke up the Mrs to tell her the news.

That's when we realised I have the sight.

It's a burden.

7 hours ago, QuitYourJibbaJivin said:

“Celebrity” deaths had never really bothered me, I mean although you know who’s these people are they’re still basically strangers to you, you have no real emotional connection.

Until The death of Ray Wilkins was announced on talksport, used to absolutely love listening to him, extremely knowledgable and an all round decent human being. I remember having a massive lump in my throat, I was actually gutted, gutted for somebody that I’d never even met. Some of the stories about Ray on TS  we’re incredible. Especially the one I’ve linked below. 

So none, because they are strangers, other than the one who was a stangrer but you heard a nice story about him from another stranger so that meant he wasn't a stranger.

Is that what you're saying?

Mate, do you not think there are other incredible stories about celebs doing really nice things?

Hard to answer because while I know full well there were deaths throughout the years that left me feeling distressed for a while, time and experience dulls my memory of the exact feeling in the immediate aftermath and just who those people were.

The saddest I've felt about a celebrity death recently was well after the event - it was a documentary about Bob Monkhouse's final gig to which he privately invited a host of his favourite fellow comedians/other celebrities.

Jim Bowen's death was sad too, reasonably recent. Loved Bullseye, and he featured in a music video for a band I like (sonic Boom Six) just a few years ago.

I was a bit annoyed when Ken Dodd died because it robbed me of the ability to surprise people by telling them that Ken Dodd was actually still alive! I can't say I ever had any particular fondness towards him or his act though! 

It sort of hasn't really even sunk in yet that Lemmy died, because even though the man wasn't in fact immortal, his legacy seems to be.

I do gave a very small list of people who's career and/or life I'll mourn greatly due to how much their art has meant to me over the years, or at least I think I will. I don't consider every musician a celebrity though, especially not any of those I'd list as my favourites.

Not sure how to end this post really!

42 minutes ago, Coconut said:

Hard to answer because while I know full well there were deaths throughout the years that left me feeling distressed for a while, time and experience dulls my memory of the exact feeling in the immediate aftermath and just who those people were.

The saddest I've felt about a celebrity death recently was well after the event - it was a documentary about Bob Monkhouse's final gig to which he privately invited a host of his favourite fellow comedians/other celebrities.

Jim Bowen's death was sad too, reasonably recent. Loved Bullseye, and he featured in a music video for a band I like (sonic Boom Six) just a few years ago.

I was a bit annoyed when Ken Dodd died because it robbed me of the ability to surprise people by telling them that Ken Dodd was actually still alive! I can't say I ever had any particular fondness towards him or his act though! 

It sort of hasn't really even sunk in yet that Lemmy died, because even though the man wasn't in fact immortal, his legacy seems to be.

I do gave a very small list of people who's career and/or life I'll mourn greatly due to how much their art has meant to me over the years, or at least I think I will. I don't consider every musician a celebrity though, especially not any of those I'd list as my favourites.

Not sure how to end this post really!

Best end to a post ever. 

Having been out of the loop for a few years quite a few of the deaths that may have affected me were diluted due to not hearing about them until years later. Obviously some of the well known personality's deaths were reported over here, but those who were not international stars weren't. Hearing that Rob Hindmarch had died came as a complete shock. Rik Mayall was another.
  Also many of the BBC sex scandal cast came as a great surprise. Some who I really enjoyed watching were suddenly unmentionables.

Rod Hull's death hit me the hardest.

I was delivering his daily paper when he fell off the roof; clipping my shoulder with his arm on the way down.

It would have hurt less if said arm had been inside Emu instead of holding his TV aerial  

Robin Williams. Was on holiday in Greece when it was all over the papers. Grew up watching his films, a man who made everyone happy was struggling with his personal battles. Made me think about my mental health going forward after that day. Hit me in the gut, you would never think to look at the bloke and ask if he was okay because he was such a warm, positive man. You wouldn't have a clue he was struggling to cope with life. It highlighted the importance of communication when struggling with mental health. It made me talk about life more to my mates rather than joking around.

His death hurt. Brings a tear to my eye thinking about it. 

Archived