Wage cap

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Apparently we want it. I can see why - I bet our squad now is on a pretty low wage per week with a lot of academy players making it up. Also means the clubs on parachute payments can't just throw money at everything. 

1 hour ago, Andicis said:

Apparently we want it. I can see why - I bet our squad now is on a pretty low wage per week with a lot of academy players making it up. Also means the clubs on parachute payments can't just throw money at everything. 

Utter waste of time. 

If clubs are restricted from paying high wages, they will just spend it on higher transfer fees instead. 

Clubs will be as broke as before. 

I assume this is the wages just for the players, and excluded social security and pensions. I can't narrow it down to just players, but other staff wages won't be too much extra. Here's a table with every club's wages obtained from the most recent accounts in their Championship season - for most clubs that's the 18/19 accounts.

Some interesting figures, especially from one club in particular whose chairman whinged about them making massive cuts whereaswe carried on spending. This ignores the fact we've seen the following depart since our £35m figures were announced: Vydra, Weimann, Shacklell, Pearce, Jerome, Baird, Ledley, Bent, Blackman, Nugent, Johnson, Bryson, Butterfield, Thorne, Olsson, Keogh, Anya, and Huddlestone.

image.png.ce09afb9bf031db80a258b60eef97ae8.png

1 hour ago, Andicis said:

What's to stop them giving players huge bonuses instead of weekly wages? 

5 minutes ago, ThePrisoner said:

What's to stop them giving players huge bonuses instead of weekly wages? 

There is a lot of different salary caps in sports around the world - hard ones, like the NFL, where the bonuses are taken into account against the cap. I believe there are other 'soft' salary caps too. 

My questions is that wage cap is being discussed at £18m. Leeds and WBA have just been promoted with a wages of £41m (as pointed out by ghost of clough). I would say that is a fairly big difference and to bring it in overnight would be extremely difficult. 

Bournemouth, Watford and Villa will also have a wage bill over £100m per annum. How on earth is it possible to cut that down to £18m in a little over a month? It can't possibly happen. I think they would need bonuses in order to keep the talent in the UK - at the very least. I really don't mind a wage cap, but let's not make it laughable and unworkable. 

6 minutes ago, Ambitious said:

There is a lot of different salary caps in sports around the world - hard ones, like the NFL, where the bonuses are taken into account against the cap. I believe there are other 'soft' salary caps too. 

My questions is that wage cap is being discussed at £18m. Leeds and WBA have just been promoted with a wages of £41m (as pointed out by ghost of clough). I would say that is a fairly big difference and to bring it in overnight would be extremely difficult. 

Bournemouth, Watford and Villa will also have a wage bill over £100m per annum. How on earth is it possible to cut that down to £18m in a little over a month? It can't possibly happen. I think they would need bonuses in order to keep the talent in the UK - at the very least. I really don't mind a wage cap, but let's not make it laughable and unworkable. 

It would certainly mean you couldn’t sign anyone - even managers 

4 minutes ago, Ambitious said:

It would have to be phased in. The suggestion for relegated clubs was to register each player at a max of £720k pa (£18m per squad of 25). The same could be applied to those already in the Championship up until they get a new contract.

7 minutes ago, Ghost of Clough said:

It would have to be phased in. The suggestion for relegated clubs was to register each player at a max of £720k pa (£18m per squad of 25). The same could be applied to those already in the Championship up until they get a new contract.

I would really like that - it would mean teams would come down with a bus full of players they simply couldn't register or get rid of though. On the flip side, it would make the league very competitive. As long as it doesn't give relegated clubs a massive head start then I'm game.

7 minutes ago, Ambitious said:

I would really like that - it would mean teams would come down with a bus full of players they simply couldn't register or get rid of though. On the flip side, it would make the league very competitive. As long as it doesn't give relegated clubs a massive head start then I'm game.

By "register each player at a max of £720k pa", I mean someone earning £60k per week (£3.1m pa) would be registered as just £720k pa up until he gets a new contract. It would still give the relegated teams an advantage, but once you've given one player a new contract, you'd have to sell a few other first team players to accommodate that high wage. They wouldn't be able to spend their way out of the division as Villa did, or Stoke attempted.

One of the other suggestions was U21 players don't need to be registered. As things stand (and given some players leave as expected), that would give us a very small registered squad, and I'm almost certain we'd be within the £18m budget already:

• Roos
  • Ravas
  • Wisdom
  • te Wierik
  • Davies
  • Evans
  • Wassall
  • Forsyth
  • Lowe
  • Rooney
  • Bielik
  • Holmes
  • Shinnie
  • Lawrence
  • Shonibare
  • Waghorn
  • Marriott
  • Martin

1 minute ago, Ghost of Clough said:

One of the other suggestions was U21 players don't need to be registered. As things stand (and given some players leave as expected), that would give us a very small registered squad, and I'm almost certain we'd be within the £18m budget already:

• Roos
  • Ravas
  • Wisdom
  • te Wierik
  • Davies
  • Evans
  • Wassall
  • Forsyth
  • Lowe
  • Rooney
  • Bielik
  • Holmes
  • Shinnie
  • Lawrence
  • Shonibare
  • Waghorn
  • Marriott
  • Martin

Of that, you'd expect Wisdom, Rooney (not sure how's it being paid though with 32 Red), Bielik, Lawrence, Waghorn, Flo Jo, Davies and Martin to be on big wages (not sure about te Wierik), it shows how much we've managed to slim down on our wage bill over the last few years.

1 hour ago, therealhantsram said:

Utter waste of time. 

If clubs are restricted from paying high wages, they will just spend it on higher transfer fees instead. 

Sorry @therealhantsram I’d have to disagree with you on this one. Only reason I am disagreeing is the payments won’t be handed out to the selling club.
I do however think all clubs (us included) would pay higher match day bonuses eg; goal, cleansheets, win and even “loyalty” bonuses as well as vastly inflated promotion bonuses to boot!
The salary cap can be adhered to, but the loop holes will be a mile wide for those that can afford to take advantage.  

It’s how football is and it should change, but it won’t ???

Wasn't Tom Glick a driving force behind FFP?  Purely because he thought it would leverage us an advantage as one of the better supported teams (while simultaneously being commercially astute)?

Hasn't quite worked out like that has it?  No surprise that having cut 20 million off the wage bill we're supporting a wage cap.  Again you could see the logic, in us supporting it to try and get an advantage.

But ultimately I think it's a bad idea.  What suits us today might not suit 3 years from now.  What if Mel get's his way and revolutionises digital revenues with Derby and RamsTV at the vanguard?  What if we attract new investment and want to invest some of it in the playing staff?  What happens when we get promoted but with a substandard squad to compete in the Premier League because no-one in the Championship can attract a high enough quality of player?

Let teams spend as much as they want.  All businesses set budgets, so if Mel want's to set our wage bill at 20 million per year?  Do it.  Money is no guarantee of success.  Just look at Stoke and Brentford to prove that point.

1 hour ago, therealhantsram said:

Utter waste of time. 

I  would tend to disagree. We've seen in recent years players getting paid insane wages because they've puposely run down their contracts. Before you'd have to have paid £30m (for example) in transfer fees, signing on fees and contract commitments. Players agent then argues for more, but the club still ends up paying less. 

I'm not entirely in favour of caps. But the truth is, players and agent's are bleeding fans and clubs dry. They earn more than enough money. Ultimately the club's control the market. Introduce a wage cap and obviously, signing on bonuses, etc, the players have no options. What are they going to do? They can't make more money anywhere else.

Overall I think football needs a shakeup and this forms part of it. Also includes a proper streaming platform for the Championship/EFL and abandoning broadcast deals, which will enable clubs to reduce matchday prices and fill their stadiums. Allowing their fans more access.

18 hours ago, Ghost of Clough said:

I assume this is the wages just for the players, and excluded social security and pensions. I can't narrow it down to just players, but other staff wages won't be too much extra. Here's a table with every club's wages obtained from the most recent accounts in their Championship season - for most clubs that's the 18/19 accounts.

Some interesting figures, especially from one club in particular whose chairman whinged about them making massive cuts whereaswe carried on spending. This ignores the fact we've seen the following depart since our £35m figures were announced: Vydra, Weimann, Shacklell, Pearce, Jerome, Baird, Ledley, Bent, Blackman, Nugent, Johnson, Bryson, Butterfield, Thorne, Olsson, Keogh, Anya, and Huddlestone.

image.png.ce09afb9bf031db80a258b60eef97ae8.png

Interesting to see it drop £10m in 3 places from us to Bristol.

4 teams above us who don't have parachute payments.

Archived